Why become a member? ×

'53P Relic * SOLD *

Clarky

Due to a moment of weakness I have spent some of the proceeds of my recent selling activity. Thus the Herbie bass is still available at £1200 ono (try me). it's now wearing Status black nylon 45-105 strings so it plays more 'normally' than with the thick Tru Bass strings on while retaining the DB type vibe and the look of the original bass. Collected from London only as no hard case.

Here is a reminder of the specs from an earlier post (note strings changed per post immediately before this one but could easily be switched back to Herbie-correct Tru Bass strings if you so desired):
[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1319361448' post='1412959']
I paid £1400 for the bass as it has £800 of original early '60s Fender parts (listed below). I would like as close as possible to what I paid although I will accept a [u]small[/u] discount as the Fender decal (which was applied to the top of the headstock) has partly scraped away (although this does make it look authentic and it could easily be replaced for a fiver).

In-line with the original bass which inspired it, it is wearing chunky black nylon Rotosound TruBass strings on which make it play more like a DB and which have a rich, thick thumping type sound with virtually no treble - as per Walk on the Wild Side, Space Oddity etc (on which the original was played). Its not one for slapping or fast finger funk, unless you swap the strings over.

Specs:
61 Tuners + 62 bushings and screws
62 bridge + screws
All screws from 60/61 including the neck plate screws
String tree 61 with screw
59 thumbrest with screws
Fullerton 83 RI jazz stack knobs and early bell plate
Hand wired repro harness
Suhr Vintage spec handwound pickup
Neck from a 62RI Fender Jazz but re-profiled by Wes
Weighs 8.77 pounds

Picture below is one of Wes' from his build thread and was taken before he applied the headstock decal
[attachment=91792:DSCN2065.jpg]

I don't have a bass-sized box and I don't want to put Mrs C through waiting in all day for Interparcel pickup so this is meet-up/collected only in London
[/quote]

Edited by Clarky