Why become a member? ×

Could You Be the Worst Looking Bass in the World

4 Strings

Holy mother of God, I wish you hadn't!
It looks like a perverted alien zither that has caught some kind of weird disease resulting in gross skin tumours.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1318772566' post='1405994']

[/quote]
Or possibly a giant stag beetle that has been killed, stuffed and made into an egg-slicer.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318764158' post='1405845']
Actually no. Derived from the Ibanez Affirma which was designed by [url="http://www.rolfspuler.com/gb/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=126"]Rolf Spuler[/url]. And personally I think it looks great.
[/quote]

The Ibanez Affirma looks OK to me. The EDA 900, OTOH, doesn't. I think it's down to the lower horn that seems to have grown all blobby.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1318778237' post='1406072']
The Ibanez Affirma looks OK to me. The EDA 900, OTOH, doesn't. I think it's down to the lower horn that seems to have grown all blobby.
[/quote]

Hmmm ... let's A/B those two ...

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1318598375' post='1404165']
The Ibanez EDA 900

[/quote]

... to my eyes the Affirma is marginally less ugly, but still ugly.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1318776903' post='1406048']
Holy mother of God, I wish you hadn't!
It looks like a perverted alien zither that has caught some kind of weird disease resulting in gross skin tumours.

Or possibly a giant stag beetle that has been killed, stuffed and made into an egg-slicer.
[/quote]

Genuine coffee> laptop moment!

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1318711403' post='1405548']

:) That's brilliant. Have they just cut and pasted a headstock on or a whole neck?
[/quote]

Someone on one of the other sections was complaining about paying a fortune for a new 'Ray only to suspect it was the neck of one on the body of another. Seems like they're making a habit of it.

[attachment=91457:dziwne1.jpg]

[attachment=91458:dziwne2.jpg]

[attachment=91459:dziwne3.jpg]

[attachment=91460:dziwne4.jpg]

[attachment=91461:dziwne5.jpg]

[attachment=91462:dziwne6.jpg]

Click on the miniatures to see them bigger size.
I took this compilations from similar forum in my country, some guy made them few years ago.

Edited by mr.noisy

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1318764158' post='1405845']
Actually no. Derived from the Ibanez Affirma which was designed by [url="http://www.rolfspuler.com/gb/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemid=126"]Rolf Spuler[/url]. And personally I think it looks great.
[/quote]

Each to their own, I like a lot of the older Ibanez basses Blazer, Roadster, Musician, ATK, but I like more classic shapes I suppose.
To me it looks like it's been left out in the sun for a bit too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me picky, but I've never seen the appeal of the Pedulla thing. Looks like the top horn will snap off first chance it gets. It's got a really big bottom end too...

[attachment=92186:a_A-MVP-GAL-BUZZ6-5A-QUILT-P-BLUE-S_1.jpg]

Granted, it's not as outlandish/fugly as others on here, but it's still pretty offensive.

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1319910641' post='1420087'] Maybe I'm interpreting the the perspective wrong, but it looks to me like that won't intonate correctly. (In addition to not being pleasant to look at) Andy[/quote]
Correct. The auction description says something about strange tuning, that'll be because the principle of having the 12th fret halfway along the string is one that has eluded the Butcher of the Bass.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1319977210' post='1420673']
Correct. The auction description says something about strange tuning, that'll be because the principle of having the 12th fret halfway along the string is one that has eluded the Butcher of the Bass.
[/quote]
That's a bizarre advert ... from the text it's clear he knows someone has ****ed up while putting that together, but most of the advert is spent extolling it's virtues as a custom. Hope nobody is daft enough to bid.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1319917362' post='1420166']
Call me picky, but I've never seen the appeal of the Pedulla thing. Looks like the top horn will snap off first chance it gets. It's got a really big bottom end too...

[attachment=92186:a_A-MVP-GAL-BUZZ6-5A-QUILT-P-BLUE-S_1.jpg]

Granted, it's not as outlandish/fugly as others on here, but it's still pretty offensive.
[/quote]

Fantastic finish but yeah I never liked that shape either

[quote name='mr.noisy' timestamp='1318894180' post='1407585']
[attachment=91457:dziwne1.jpg]

[attachment=91458:dziwne2.jpg]

[attachment=91459:dziwne3.jpg]

[attachment=91460:dziwne4.jpg]

[attachment=91461:dziwne5.jpg]

[attachment=91462:dziwne6.jpg]

Click on the miniatures to see them bigger size.
I took this compilations from similar forum in my country, some guy made them few years ago.
[/quote]

I recognise a fair few of those and MOST aren't that ugly. They've definately not all been made by one person though as I'm sure some were in BRX's different basses thread :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1318328546' post='1400525']
I've always been dubious of the Beast:

Maybe you could add a pickguard; some ash trays; a thumbrest; and some relicing, to totally bollox it?
[/quote]

Yeah, that Buzard beast thing is truly horrible.

Basically I dislike anything that looks like it's made from a coffee table by an over-enthusiastic amateur woodworker. When I first picked up a bass I always wanted a burred wooden guitar, I thought they looked great. Now, the simplicity of a Fender-style P or J gives everything that you could possibly need. Bare wood - eugh (with a few notable exceptions)