Why become a member? ×

Which bass did Macca play on Birthday (White Album)?

Beedster

I believe its a 1966 Fender Jazz, Macca used that a lot in 68 and 69.
Theres a good book called [u]THE COMPLETE BEATLES RECORDING SESSIONS[/u] which details all that sort of thing.
Incidently, the piano part was played by Chris Thomas of the Sex Pistols and The Pretenders producer fame! :)

[url="http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/birthday/"]http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/birthday/[/url]

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1317306724' post='1389308']
According to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_%28The_Beatles_song%29"]Wikipedia[/url] it was a 6 string bass played by George.

I'd take a guess that it'd be a Fender Bass VI as they were more available than the Rickenbacker 4005/6 or Gibson EB6
[/quote]If it is Harrison then Fender Bass VI is likeliest, although he is in photos with a Burns Nusonic but they look slightly earlier than the White Album.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1317316511' post='1389452']
... and why did you need to know?
[/quote]

I really like the tone on that track, and I read somewhere - TB I think - that it was the Hofner, which didn't seem right or proper, especially given I'd just bought a Ric c64 :). Your first (unedited) post made me laugh Dave, it appeared to suggest that the bass that Macca played on the track was George!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1317396227' post='1390368']

I really like the tone on that track, and I read somewhere - TB I think - that it was the Hofner, which didn't seem right or proper, especially given I'd just bought a Ric c64 :). Your first (unedited) post made me laugh Dave, it appeared to suggest that the bass that Macca played on the track was George!
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1317396587' post='1390372']

A bass called 'George'. That's what I thought too. :)
[/quote]
Oh dear, I must inprove my use of English.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1317302966' post='1389264']
So not the Hofner then?
[/quote]

Oh no - that sounds nothing like a Hofner (to my ears, anyway). Doesn't sound like a Ric either. I could believe a Bass VI but I wouldn't be surprised to find it was a Jazz.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1317399059' post='1390413']

Oh no - that sounds nothing like a Hofner (to my ears, anyway). Doesn't sound like a Ric either. I could believe a Bass VI but I wouldn't be surprised to find it was a Jazz.
[/quote]
That's a bit radical isn't it Jack, actually listening to the track to figure out what bass it is? Why can't you just guess like the rest of us?