Why become a member? ×

Solutions for problems we don't have

OldGit

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='159793' date='Mar 18 2008, 05:57 PM']A trick I learnt many years ago, from a BBC sound engineer/roady, was to coil it up into your hand, but put a sort of reverse twist into it every other coil. Very hard to describe in writing, but the affect is that you can coil it up, then hold one end and through the coil away from you and it will (should) completely uncoil itslef and lay flat on the floor without a twist in sight.

Clive.[/quote]
I use the same technique and it works a treat

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='159752' date='Mar 18 2008, 05:00 PM']To put the cat amongst the pigeons-

Solutions for problems we don't have:
Active electronics in a bass.[/quote]

problem - having to bring your amp/preamp to the recording studio (an extra thing to place, and plug in)

problem - not being able to get [i]your[/i] sound at a gig, because your using a supplied backline.

solution - active electronics in a bass

:)

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='159793' date='Mar 18 2008, 05:57 PM']A trick I learnt many years ago, from a BBC sound engineer/roady, was to coil it up into your hand, but put a sort of reverse twist into it every other coil. Very hard to describe in writing, but the affect is that you can coil it up, then hold one end and through the coil away from you and it will (should) completely uncoil itslef and lay flat on the floor without a twist in sight.

Clive.[/quote]

Yeah I know that method. Sailors do it with the ropes too ...
In fact that's what I do having ended up with bitter and twisted cables in the past ...
I'll still not be using those plastic things though :)

The over/under cable twisting method is the best way to keepyou cables in good shape. I'm using the same Monster cables I bought in 1999. Our guitarist literally stuffs his into his rucksack andI enjoy sitting watching him untangle them and try and smooth out the kinks at the start of every rehearsal.

[quote name='allighatt0r' post='159849' date='Mar 18 2008, 07:21 PM']I think I need a diagram... :)

I always coil my cables by holding the end in one hand, pulling my other hand down the cable then rolling it a hole turn between my fingers and thumb, then bring my hands together, making a loop.

Then lather, rinse, repeat.

But this BBC method sounds intriguing![/quote]

I think I wind cables the same as you, but I'm curious if we're doing the same as Clive suggests. I always thought the idea was to never twist a cable unnaturally, but I'm rather curious what this 'reverse coiling' is about.

When I've got the time I'll do it and try to analyse exactly what it is I'm doing and try do put it in writing, but I think the 'one forward, one reverse' description is probably better than my original. When you're doing it it certainly doesn't feel that like your putting any strain into the cable.

I think the main problem with any coiling method comes when you uncoil it in a different way from how you coil it. For example if you roll the cable onto a drum (or round your arm) and unroll it there is no problem, but if you roll it on and then pull it off sideways you end up with a cable coiled like a spring.

Clive

Good example of the cable 'twist' technique:

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='159882' date='Mar 18 2008, 08:11 PM']problem - having to bring your amp/preamp to the recording studio (an extra thing to place, and plug in)

problem - not being able to get [i]your[/i] sound at a gig, because your using a supplied backline.

solution - active electronics in a bass

:)[/quote]

wotnwhy: 2
sleepy: 0

Good points, well made!

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='159752' date='Mar 18 2008, 05:00 PM']To put the cat amongst the pigeons-

Solutions for problems we don't have:
Active electronics in a bass.[/quote]

You've got a point there - I play a Marcus Miller Jazz but much prefer the passive tone. As a result, the active
switch never gets touched.

[quote name='wotnwhy' post='160367' date='Mar 19 2008, 05:51 PM']anyone else think that guy qualifies as a 'virtuoso' roadie? :huh:

to sk8, the ONE TIME i make a grammer mistake, and someone pics up on it... ;)[/quote]

"I"

"grammatical"

:)

nah he's no roadie, no dangly keys .. he's a film set sound man ...