Why become a member? ×

Fender Custom Shop

LemonCello

I have a little trip planned to Coda Music in October to check out their custom shop stuff. Just wondering whether anyone would like to comment on what they see as the differences between these and the standard stuff?

1. Does the custom shop range justify the premium in terms of playability and build quality?

2. Not keen on the closet classic (blocks on a P bass is not right), but am liking their NOS '62 P in sunburst, but why is the relic version of the same bass £400 more?

3. I've heard good things about the Pino - what would you do?

Cheers,

LC

1. In my experience, the Custom Shop reissues tend to be slightly better than US reissues - usually nice, light woods selected and just feel better quality and attention to detail. I had a 64 RI Jazz that was really lovely (I only picked it up in a trade to move on, but I thought long and hard about keeping it as it was that nice).

2. The relic'd vs NOS price differential merely reflects the added time and effort of getting a chisel to the bass! Not worth it in my opinion. Only worth it if you want to kid people its a genuine old instrument or you are so anal about scratches that you would rather not make the first one :)

3. The Pino that I once owned on the other hand HAD to be relic'd (to look like Pino's) and was a wonderful Precision - light, resonant and with the most lovely played-in feeling neck. If I'm honest, every bit as nice to play and listen to as my year-of-birth '63 Precision

I had a go on a Pino and it was a nice, light, resonant, easy to play bass. But (ain't there always one of those), it sure wasn't 2.5 times as good as a bog standard American Standard. Try both out and see for yourself, you might save a load of cash trying out a few Standard Precisions 'til you find a really good one.

My custom order 59 white over candy red P bass is the best bass I have every played by far I did try and sell it when I had the oppurtunity to get a real 59 recently but I;m glad I changed my mind.

I would say that they are worth the money but just make sure you try a few first as I have played some that havn't been any better than a USA vintage RI. Mine is defintly of Masterbuilt quality and I think generally the team built stuff is pretty close when you compare the 2 tiers.

Pino basses are great. though they have started templating the relic work on them where as they used to be done by eye and you can really tell that they are templated.

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1369643' date='Sep 11 2011, 06:22 PM']I have a little trip planned to Coda Music in October to check out their custom shop stuff. Just wondering whether anyone would like to comment on what they see as the differences between these and the standard stuff?

1. Does the custom shop range justify the premium in terms of playability and build quality?

2. Not keen on the closet classic (blocks on a P bass is not right), but am liking their NOS '62 P in sunburst, but why is the relic version of the same bass £400 more?

3. I've heard good things about the Pino - what would you do?

Cheers,

LC[/quote]
Build quality? The American Vintage reissue models & the NOS are made by the same builders in the same workshop - 'the custom shop'. Not a lot of difference IMV.

In my mind playability is all down to the individual bass & it's setup, nothing is ever coming out of the factory with maximum 'playability', it's all in the setup!

I haven't seen a NOS '62? If you mean the NOS '64 P-bass advertised at Coda, I was tempted, seriously thought about it - but it is nearly £2K!
I've had the American Vintage '57 for almost a year & honestly it knocks spots of everything else I've tried, including a Pino that was in GAK - which I found a bit lifeless, certainly didn't live up to expectation. Now I've just got a AV '62, because I felt it would be a perfect partner to the '57s Ash/Maple & it is exactly what I hoped for, the Alder/Rosewood give it a subtle difference, depth of tone.

Personally I wouldn't pay the premium for the rusty metalwork on the Pino, the relicing of the body isn't severe enough to bother me but the final straw was that to me it didn't feel quite right, honestly my '57 played a lot better & so now does my new '62.

Hope you take all above as only my opinion & experience - nothing beats trying for yourself. Trouble is I only play flats, when you go to a bass shop - how many P's can you try with flats on? One - the Pino! No chance to compare anything.

What would I do? What I have just done - buy from a USA retailer who ships to UK, at a bargain price & save a tidy packet :) The Fender UK dealers 'fixed prices' are just crazy.

Cheerz, John

Cheers guys,

Very interesting. Yes my mistake. It was a NOS '64 at Coda that I was looking at. I guess at the end of the day, it's all down to how the bass feels in your hands. I'm in no hurry to part with that sort of cash without careful consideration.

I wonder also (long term) if an early 70's Fender would appreciate in value quicker than a custom shop example?

I'm also wondering whether to start looking at more versatile basses as although my Precisions are all slightly different, they do the same thing essentially albeit very well.

So, is it another P as a player and investment or something completely different?

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure anymore!

LC

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1370088' date='Sep 12 2011, 08:34 AM']Cheers guys,

Very interesting. Yes my mistake. It was a NOS '64 at Coda that I was looking at. I guess at the end of the day, it's all down to how the bass feels in your hands. I'm in no hurry to part with that sort of cash without careful consideration.

I wonder also (long term) if an early 70's Fender would appreciate in value quicker than a custom shop example?

I'm also wondering whether to start looking at more versatile basses as although my Precisions are all slightly different, they do the same thing essentially albeit very well.

So, is it another P as a player and investment or something completely different?

I used to be indecisive but I'm not so sure anymore!

LC[/quote]

PM incoming :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1369988' date='Sep 11 2011, 03:10 PM']Build quality? The American Vintage reissue models & the NOS are made by the same builders in the same workshop - 'the custom shop'. Not a lot of difference IMV.

In my mind playability is all down to the individual bass & it's setup, nothing is ever coming out of the factory with maximum 'playability', it's all in the setup![/quote]
I'm also a believer in the setup. I would never pay thousands more for a bass that is simply setup well.

And my experience with the custom shop is it's the same fender quality for a whole lot more money.

Any custom shop bass will depreciate in value, unless the owner goes bust (not very likely in this case). A vintage bass that becomes rarer and increasingly sought after, will of course, appreciate.

As for Fender's custom shop, I've never had the opportunity to play one myself, but I would say that all the ones I've seen on here and TB seem to be nothing special. In that apart from the odd custom paint job (Fender have now started doing those new bright coloured models anyway), they don't seem like anything you couldn't bitsa together, i.e a 73 neck with a 59 pickup with a..... you get the idea. Of course, this one has all the bits sourced for you, put together all brand new, and set up 'just so,' but if you actually want a custom Fender, I'd piece together the bits you want (i.e. the best Fender neck you ever played and the best pickup etc), rather than pay several thousand pounds for the same bloke who does the off the rack models to do your bass a little bit differently.

And if you want a genuinely custom bass, go and get a luthier to make you something no one else has!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1371298' date='Sep 13 2011, 12:30 AM']and set up 'just so,'[/quote]
You're missing the point - IMV - no bass is going to leave the factory "set up just so"! USA Custom shop or China, there's no way anybody, factory worker or luthier is going to spend the time it takes or have the patience & anyway, how is the guy on finals doing the setup going to know how the customer wants it set up? What's right for me won't be right for the next bloke for sure.

When I get a new bass I'd say it takes from 2 days to a week to get it set up 'just so' & even then nothing is final. It can/does take some time for the whole to stabilize to the enviroment it's in, then as soon as you change strings, adjust truss rod etc. it need more time to settle.

That to me is where the playability comes from, getting any bass 'set up' to play as well as it possibly can.

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1371421' date='Sep 13 2011, 08:36 AM']When I get a new bass I'd say it takes from 2 days to a week to get it set up 'just so' & even then nothing is final. It can/does take some time for the whole to stabilize to the enviroment it's in, then as soon as you change strings, adjust truss rod etc. it need more time to settle.

That to me is where the playability comes from, getting any bass 'set up' to play as well as it possibly can.[/quote]

+1 on the above

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1369988' date='Sep 11 2011, 11:10 PM']What would I do? What I have just done - buy from a USA retailer who ships to UK, at a bargain price & save a tidy packet :) The Fender UK dealers 'fixed prices' are just crazy.

Cheerz, John[/quote]

Blame Fender UK/Europe for the prices. Dealers would be literally paying the customer to take fender product away if they were doing it any cheaper.

[quote name='danhkr' post='1375569' date='Sep 16 2011, 03:22 PM']Blame Fender UK/Europe for the prices. Dealers would be literally paying the customer to take fender product away if they were doing it any cheaper.[/quote]
Some tips on a US retailer who's willing to ship to Europe? Won't the price be the same shippingcost, taxes etc included?

[quote name='epoxyjazzbass' timestamp='1316337126' post='1376583']
I have a few custom shop bass, vintage style and from different years
I have also try a few real old fender bass and of course the reissue series

The CS are the best bass you can own in terms of finish and sound

If you are concerned about the resale value buy a used CS
[/quote]

Nice... but, only pics help, show us what you got!

[quote]I have a few custom shop bass, vintage style and from different years
I have also try a few real old fender bass and of course the reissue series

The CS are the best bass you can own in terms of finish and sound

If you are concerned about the resale value buy a used CS
[/quote]

I agree.

I wouldnt buy a US Vinatge reissue, because for the extra little bit of cash, you can get a Custom Shop, which form my experience, they are alot better, better pickups, better hardware, lighter bodies, more time spent on the finishing etc. A good nick US AV will cost about £1000, for an extra £250 you can get a CS NOS, and for an extra £400+ (depending on model), you can get a CS Relic, and for alot less you get a Roadworn.

Regarding your comment about appreciation/depreciation and possibly investing in a 70's model instead, my opinion, for what it's worth, is this;

Investment wise, the AV will lose a small amount every year, as will the CS models, they won't increase, although good scarcer model CS Relics, tend to be around the £1600 for the last 5 years or so (In the UK that is). A 70's model, if original, and nice will continue to appreciate over the coming years, but it may not be as nice to play during that time. As I always recommend, play as many as you can, and if its to be used as a player, pick the one that plays/sounds best to your taste/requirements, if you're looking for an investment guitar, then an original one, again, if nice and original, will be the best bet. Tread carefully with vintage guitars though, some are the best, and command top prices, some are far from it, especially mid to late 70's models. Remember a nice 70's bass will always be saleable, but if it plays crap, with bad joints, poor intonation etc, then it won't.

If i had £1000 to spend on a really good playing/sounding/quality Fender bass, that was to be a regular player, i think i'd go for a Roadworn Jazz, for around £500, and leave the other £500 in the bank, or even better, buy a roadworn P, [i]and[/i] a Roadworn jazz, the ones i've played have been every bit as good as the AV models, for half the price (Although you don't get a tweed case :) ) , and you dont need to worry about the odd knock and scratch. The AV models only retain value if they are Mint, which means you have to be careful with them, if you are also in it to maintain investment, for possible future sale, otherwise it doesnt matter of course.

Happy hunting, the hunt for the [i]right[/i] bass, and the eventual, successful catch, can be much fun.

Rick

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a Custom Shop Relic '64 Jazz Bass with the Brazilian Rosewood 'board. It's amongst the best 'new' bass I have ever played. I was thinking of offloading her but decided to withdraw it as I don't think I would get another as nice without going for a real pre CBS Jazz - now, if anyone has one they are looking to part with.........

And a few pics to boot:

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/alanbass1/Bass%20Collection/Fulloncase.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/alanbass1/Bass%20Collection/Full2incase.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/alanbass1/Bass%20Collection/Bodyincase.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/alanbass1/Bass%20Collection/Back.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m187/alanbass1/Bass%20Collection/Body2incase.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1318185018' post='1398992']
I've got a Custom Shop Relic '64 Jazz Bass with the Brazilian Rosewood 'board. It's amongst the best 'new' bass I have ever played. I was thinking of offloading her but decided to withdraw it as I don't think I would get another as nice without going for a real pre CBS Jazz - now, if anyone has one they are looking to part with.........

And a few pics to boot:

[/quote]

Mmm..interesting. For a "custom shop" jazz with its corresponding price tag Id say for my money that one has..... issues?

Firstly that low E looks way off the finger board edge and the pickguard looks nothing like an original.

I remember when I tried my Road Worn there was a CS next to it and it honestly felt quite a bit heavier than the RW.

I know I keep going on about the RW series but mine is an exceptional bass, and Ive tried a few over the years. StilI I can understand why the CS shops models appeal.