Why become a member? ×

NJD!! (New Jazz Day)

Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1368808' date='Sep 10 2011, 07:06 PM']Cool! Exactly the pairing I will have on Weds except rosewood boards!

What are your views on these vs the Squier Classic Vibes now?[/quote]

You can't beat the Squier Classic Vibe for what you pay for them, in my views and without wanting to upset anyone except for the Squier pickups which are poo, the built quality on the CV's is way better than the Mexican Fender's. However these new American Standard series basses are hot hot hot! I am not made of money but the fact that I've gone and bought two of them means I really rate them as great tools for the job.

If you can't afford the American stuff, then it is wiser to buy Squier CV's and mod them with decent pickups and wiring loom / pots / tuners / nut. As I have been doing for the last 2 years with my CV's.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Oh and it was nice to catch up with Bankai (Martin? not sure) who works there at Guitar Guitar, such a nice fella, I really hope he gets the full time job as he is very helpful setting me up with a nice Aguilar Amp and showing me all the different settings, he knows his stuff. If ever you are in Guitar Guitar, look for him you can miss him he's the strawberry blonde one :) haha!

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Thanks for the nice comments everyone, I have to add a few pointers, you know this bass will give you a bit of a surprise if you try it because it's got such a bite, my-my-my! Really powerful set of pickups, when you play them both full on, it's got this gorgeous sweet funk tone unmistakably Jazz Bass style. The bridge pickup on his own is really poppy like Jaco, and the neck on his own is the cherry on the cake of sub bass deep goodness.

Another amazing thing about this bass is that you only need to feather the strings and the harmonics will ring out from almost every fret. I think these carbon reinforced necks contribute to bring an end to the days of dead spots and uneven sustain. I certainly can't find any dead spots on either of these, even though it is known that maple fingerboard very rarely suffer that issue, as it is usually much more common in rosewood boards (another reason why I prefer maple)

Cool, I think I am done now, Dingwall, PRS (my secret ace thoroughbread in the sleeve) & Fender best of the bests. Add to that the new kitten on the way, gas is definately over.

for now at least...... :)

[quote name='redstriper' post='1369390' date='Sep 11 2011, 01:37 PM']Fran you must pop in again soon and bring the Fenders next time - that new Jazz is my dream bass and the perfect partner to the Precision :)[/quote]

Steve, I'd love to believe me, but that damn long drive almost took the life out of me. I'd love to catch up again with you guys, for sure. Who knows perhaps you might visit London in the future?

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1369460' date='Sep 11 2011, 03:01 PM']Steve, I'd love to believe me, but that damn long drive almost took the life out of me. I'd love to catch up again with you guys, for sure. Who knows perhaps you might visit London in the future?[/quote]
Well you did come the long way round on the busiest bank holiday weekend of the year :)
We'll certainly try and catch up next time we're darn sarf - might try and get to see Pino at Ronnie Scotts......

FINALLY! Mine arrived from GAK.

Now I must say, GAK's service has been phenomenal so far. Im very impressed.

Not only did they knock a LOT off the 3 items I ordered, they also made sure all of it was brand new, non-display (at the store) products.

So today, the courier dropped off:

American Standard Jazz (Rosewood/Sunburst) - same as GW's apart from the board.

Markbass LM3 (I stupidly sold mine but got a very good new price)

VT Bass Pedal Version 2

All very well wrapped, labelled, and brand new.

Ive only got the Jazz out, and so far, very very good. Very clear articulate pickups. Traditional growl when they are both on, and great solo'd.

Good paint, great wood for the burst (looks like its max. two piece, could even get away with it being one, but I doubt it is) pickups lineup to the strings (and you can adjust the spacing), great dark rosewood board, lovely thin fast neck (a little too thin for me as Im used to Ps/Rays, but Ill get used to it) and everything else seems spot on.

The neck pocket is very tight, great QC.

So far, very impressed. I know Fender's are far from perfect, but we all need a J and P.

Next ill get the LM3 and pedal out.

That's a luverly pair of 'thumpers' you have there Waz. I noticed the VHS copy of Suspiria on your bookshelf. I sneaked into the ABC in Sarfend (late nite flix) to see that when I was about 15 and I sh*t my pants! I thought it had been banned!.

As I recall, Mike Oldfield soundtrack?

Congrats on the purchase!

LC

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1368838' date='Sep 10 2011, 07:46 PM']Oh and it was nice to catch up with Bankai (Martin? not sure)[/quote]
Nice to see you in again. It's Alex :)

I'm sadly still not full-time there. It's a bit of a shame, all of their other staff are guitar salespersons, I'm the only one who is a bass man, and I'm also supposed to be the hi-tech (PA/Recording/Sound) salesmen, but I'm only part-time.

It really should be the other way round, having one of the guitar people part-time and me in full-time so when someone comes in for bass/sound, I can be there to help, rather than one of the guitarists having to improvise. :)

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1373762' date='Sep 14 2011, 09:19 PM']That's a luverly pair of 'thumpers' you have there Waz. I noticed the VHS copy of Suspiria on your bookshelf. I sneaked into the ABC in Sarfend (late nite flix) to see that when I was about 15 and I sh*t my pants! I thought it had been banned!.

LC[/quote]

Yes it is Suspiria it's in italian with subtitles, because it originally was a Dario Argento movie, the soundtrack however is by the Goblin, not M. Oldfield, he did the Exorcist soundtrack.

and yes its banned in UK hence I only have one italian copy on VHS, every once in a while I watch it but rarely. Good film, scary

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='LemonCello' post='1373762' date='Sep 14 2011, 09:19 PM']That's a luverly pair of 'thumpers' you have there Waz. I noticed the VHS copy of Suspiria on your bookshelf. I sneaked into the ABC in Sarfend (late nite flix) to see that when I was about 15 and I sh*t my pants! I thought it had been banned!.

LC[/quote]

Suspiria Soundtrack details: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria_(soundtrack)"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspiria_(soundtrack)[/url]

Edited by Grand Wazoo