Why become a member? ×

NW BassBash Results!

MythSte

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='158698' date='Mar 16 2008, 11:27 PM']:huh:[/quote]

Sorry Mottlefeeder.... :) ...I still think the mids [i]massively [/i]overpower the omni 12 so much in the btm end...but do read it in the context of the rest of the thread...:-

[quote]The only cab that didn't inspire me was the Omni 12 ...I do wonder if the btm end driver is fully bedded in yet as on paper it should have lots more, (I have experienced the exact same thing on a previous Omni15 that I heard before, and after the Driver had been bedded in....massive difference in btm end projection)...[/quote]

As I said, I came across the exact same sound with the Omni 15 that i tried out in Leeds, after a couple of gigs I tried it out again and suddenly the btm end was explosive, to the point that it moved from my 'not to build' list to 'I must build it next'....

Will in Leeds had his Omni 15 for roughly 12 months previously but only played it at very low levels in his house. Will said that his first gig at higher levels 'didnt inspire him' as it was lacking the btm end, the second gig however was a completely different tale, and it was after this that I heard the cab again in the same room with my gear again....without doubt the sound had [i]radically [/i]changed after his loud gigs...massive btm end.

Dave

Edited by david_l_perry

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='158756' date='Mar 17 2008, 07:44 AM']Sorry Mottlefeeder.... :) ...I still think the mids [i]massively [/i]overpower the omni 12 so much in the btm end...but do read it in the context of the rest of the thread...:-

As I said, I came across the exact same sound with the Omni 15 that i tried out in Leeds, after a couple of gigs I tried it out again and suddenly the btm end was explosive, to the point that it moved from my 'not to build' list to 'I must build it next'....

Will in Leeds had his Omni 15 for roughly 12 months previously but only played it at very low levels in his house. Will said that his first gig at higher levels 'didnt inspire him' as it was lacking the btm end, the second gig however was a completely different tale, and it was after this that I heard the cab again in the same room with my gear again....without doubt the sound had [i]radically [/i]changed after his loud gigs...massive btm end.

Dave[/quote]
The bass speaker (Eminence Delta 12LF) was run in before I fitted it. 100 Hrs at 10 Hz, before fitting it to a baffle, with the level set to give maximum excursion without hitting the end stops. The 10 Hz came from a tone generator and I was pleasantly surprised to find that my old hifi amp had any output at that frequency. I have also been gigging the Omni 12 for the best part of a year.

With regard to the sound, I have always said that it sounds good with a flatwound fretless, but never really thought that through - a flatwound fretless doesn't have much output in the area you find overpowering. Also, when I use roundwounds on a fretted Yamaha, I turn down the upper mids. What I like about it is the bottom end extension and clarity, compared to the boom and muddiness of other speakers I have owned.

As we agreed last time you auditioned it in our church hall, the Omni 12 is very good as a full range PA cab. Whether its perceived weakensses as a bass guitar cab can be fixed with EQ (and amplifier headroom?) is something we have not really explored.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='158766' date='Mar 17 2008, 08:23 AM']With regard to the sound, I have always said that it sounds good with a flatwound fretless, but never really thought that through - a flatwound fretless doesn't have much output in the area you find overpowering. Also, when I use roundwounds on a fretted Yamaha, I turn down the upper mids...[/quote]

That makes perfect sense....Its all coming back to me now.....

Dave

Hi there - the Alesis is mine... it's a studio power amp really but for the work I do I don't need loads of power.

The reason I went for it was that it doesn't have any fans, so is silent running (some of the smaller gigs I do can be quite intimate affairs). Puts out 300W at 8ohms in bridged mode which is a perfect match for my Epi UL112.

It's not the lightest power amp in the world but not bad ([url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_ra300.htm?partner_id=73924"]more details here[/url]) so all in all it's quite a lighweight rig.

As to wether it will suit your needs it depends on the power you requirements, I'd say it's pretty transparent so would probably work well with your POD and they are pretty cheap too, think I payed about £120 delivered for mine...

I was thinking about the next one up, the RA-500 ( [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_ra500_amplifier.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/alesis_ra500_amplifier.htm[/url] ), which should be plenty loud enough I would think, infact, the RA-300 could be too, the no fans thing is what sounded good to me too, have you ever had any issues with yours?

(sorry for going off topic!)

No (*touch wood) - no issues at all

I've also got one [RA300] in my home studio rack too and never had any issues that one either so I'd say from a reliability point of view buy with confidence.

The RA500 was an extra 1u in height of if I recall and heavier too, but if you need the extra power go for it :)

I had a really great day and was pleased the venue suited. I think we had about the perfect amount of 'bashers' for the size of the room. I really enjoyed catching up with many of you, and apologies to those who I didn't have time to speak to - with so much gear and so many friends in one room it can be quite overwhelming!!

I am really looking forward to the 'National' bash and have high hopes that John's organising of this event will inspire everyone to bish, bash and bosh all round the country!

I took a couple of snaps but will wait until Chris sends me his before I post them.

Here's to many more!

Cheers
ped

A severe hangover didn't stop me having a great time. Luvvly people and a great venue - thanks to John for organising it - lets do it again in a coupla months.

[quote name='paul, the' post='158735' date='Mar 17 2008, 01:15 AM']It looks/sounds like you guys had a great time. It's great to see pics!

That black/tort P is beautiful; ngh's I presume? What picguard does it have? I have to get covers for my P.[/quote]

Thanks :) I got the pickguard off Muppet, the covers are from Allparts. It's a monster but it's got a slight earthing issue which I'm hoping to sort out this week.

Out of curiosity, what was the general consensus on Ped's 5 string Vigier?

Shame I coultn make the NW bash, I was in Manchester the week or so before and had the pleasure of meeting my old buddies MikeH, niceguyhomer and Rayman for a drink and an impromtu Jam in my hotel room, if it had been a week later I could have done the bash too!

Ill definately be at the Northampton bash at the end of the month, Ped's driving this time ;P

[quote name='david_l_perry' post='158929' date='Mar 17 2008, 02:11 PM']The New omni 10 I brought down this weekend is up for sale if anybody is interested. Details here:-
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15495"]Omni 10 for sale[/url]

Dave[/quote]

are ya gonna buy a schroeder? :)

[quote name='ste_m3' post='158995' date='Mar 17 2008, 03:43 PM']are ya gonna buy a schroeder? ;)[/quote]

Nope.....Im going to build a BF Omni 15....... :huh:
Building cabs has just become an obsession......... :)

Got to say that your Schroeder did sound very, very good though......other than its weight its [i]possibly [/i]best of the bunch for my taste in bass sound....

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='158766' date='Mar 17 2008, 03:23 AM']As we agreed last time you auditioned it in our church hall, the Omni 12 is very good as a full range PA cab. Whether its perceived weakensses as a bass guitar cab can be fixed with EQ (and amplifier headroom?) is something we have not really explored.[/quote]
While the Delta 12 LF was about as good a true musical instrument woofer available when introduced, and is still better than most, it's not in the same league as the Kappalite 15 neos. Kappalite 12s are at least 10 months away. When they do come out I'm sure the 3012LF will become the recommended woofer for the O12, as it should offer much better performance whilst weighing half as much as the Delta 12 LF. Meanwhile round-wound players just need to roll off the mid EQ more than they're used to with most commercial cabs.

thanks for a great day chaps

i missed the sadowsky but heard plenty about it from russ and mike

was stunned by russ' villex loaded jazz relic (both the finish and tonal options, damn you)

glad i got to get a grip of Peter's ACG and its awesome preamp, bright at the top into darkness, in one scale!!!

nearly did myself a mischief with ste's schroeder, forgot it had 2 12s in it, doh

had my cab A/Bed against the omni10

and all round good chinwag

thanks to the organisers

When I saw that photo I laughed...looked like a father and son moment (eldest wisest son of course)...even down to the same dress code....'[i]one day my son all this will be yours[/i]'.....

I was more than impressed with the Omni 10, Looking forward to the Omni15 build...give me a couple of weeks and I should have it done...... :)
Dave

[quote name='Toasted' post='159304' date='Mar 17 2008, 11:25 PM']And not for want of my trying :)[/quote]

When my dodgy wrists and elbows finally give up due to 33years of carpet fitting, Joe can have first dibs.
Hopefully by then you will have found one mate!!