Why become a member? ×

The Horn - St Albans

flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1365862' date='Sep 7 2011, 10:30 PM']Has anyone played The Horn in St Albans?

I've never been there but it bills itself as 'Hertfordshire's largest live music venue'.

It looks like we may be playing there next month so I'm wondering what to expect. Might be a big step-up for us TBH - hope it's not too big a step![/quote]

Played there a couple of times but probably about 5 years ago or more.

It was a pretty good venue with a good crowd but not what I'd call large unless I'm confusing it with somewhere else. I'm not sure I'd call it the mediumest live music venue although I've not played many gigs in Herts to compare it to.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1365862' date='Sep 7 2011, 10:30 PM']....Might be a big step-up for us TBH - hope it's not too big a step!....[/quote]
It's just a gig. A stage, sound engineer and audience. It's not the "big time" but it's a pretty good gig.

It's a friendly place. You shouldn't be worried about playing there.

Edited by chris_b

Played there many times, nice enough stage, good sound-man, nice pa. But don`t think you`ll earn anything there.

Scenario, a local band are supporting a tribute band of an 80s hard rock band. The local band take along some 50 people, who wouldn`t have been going otherwise. The charge is £8 on the door. So instantly, the local band have made the venue £400. This 50 people also drink rather like George Best & Oliver Reed, spending at the least, £20 each, on booze (I`m really minimising here). So in total, over the night, that local band have earned the venue upwards of £1400.

Again, I stress that those people would not have gone to the gig, were it not for the local band.

The local band were paid £50 - between them.

The reasoning was that if any more money was given to them, it would come out of the tribute bands purse, and that would not be fair.

So play there by all means, enjoy the gig, but do it with your eyes open, don`t expect anything other than "see ya" from the venue, once you`ve finished.

Thanks for the insight guys. When I said a big step-up I meant for us really. We're used to not being paid but we're not used to be playing to audiences that have paid to see us - well, get into the venue anyway. So some added pressure there.

It's a big step for us in terms of getting our own stuff out there - we've done a fair bit of songwriting this year and I think we should be able to play about 45 minutes of originals, which we might as well if we're not getting paid.

Not sure of the precise details yet but it's looking like an early October wednesday night (probably when they give some unknow quantities a chance :)). If I'm feeling brave enough I'll post the date when it's confirmed!

Thanks again.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1371873' date='Sep 13 2011, 02:41 PM']Played there a few times in the noughties. Was told by a mate who used to see the band that the best sound we ever had was at The Horn.

Not sure what the parking is like these days, but you had to get there early to get one of the spaces next to the venue.[/quote]

I think it's pretty safe on a yellow line after 6/7pm.

Arrgh - our drummer can't make the gig. Seems it might not be his fault as our guitarist booked the gig without his confirmation. But none of that really matters - we're short of drummer with about a week to go before the gig.

Our singer has found another drummer but we'll only have time for one short rehearsal. I guess we'll have to decide then, but my instinct is to tell the venue we can't make it, so they have the most time possible to find a replacement band. I'm really not happy playing under-rehearsed gigs, but the others seem less bothered and think 'we can muddle though', which I think is a bit unprofessional. What's the point in not playing at your best?

Anyway, probably an impossible question to answer, but any thoughts on how long a new drummer would likely take to get up to speed? Will a single 2-hour rehearsal be sufficient for a 30 minute set?

Also, should we just do our best to 'muddle through' and keep the booking commitment or cancel and let the venue know as soon as possible? Or should we wait and see how the rehearsal works out?

It's not a paid gig.