Why become a member? ×

How to do a good pub gig

Guest bassman7755

Guest bassman7755

Inspired by the "how do you cope with messing up" thread I though it would be nice to collect some thoughts on how not to mess up in the first place, how we and our bands can be properly prepped to give a good professional show even if were mostly amatuers.

In no particular order:

Have a cheat sheet that has song order with keys. Last second discussion about keys are fine for big name bands/players who want to show off and pretend that they are playing a song spontaniously, but come accross as very lame in a pub.

Be able to hum/wistle/sing the bass line to all your songs. Have a CD with reference versions of all the songs you play to use for practicing your wistle/hum/whatever during otherwise free time say driving to work. Mental blocks normally resulf from relying too much on subconcious muscle memory for playing - rather than on concious memory of how the song (and bass melody) actually goes. Really - if you havn't listened to every song your going to play within 24 hours before getting up on stage you cant complain if you mess up.

Another thing I sometimes do before an important gig is a condensed solo pratice where I play every riff/lick/line in every song once, this can actually be done in a surprisingly short time, say 10-15 mins for a full 2 hour set usually.

Tune up silently, warm up silently. The audience to not want to hear you practice your scales, music shop slapping extraveganza or (worse) "spoilers" i.e. bits of the songs your going to play later - dont do it !. Slap any other band members who do this.

Never appologise either before or after the event - "we dont know this one very well" is not a good way to introduce a song, your just priming the audience to be nervous and listen for mistakes. As I mentioned in the other thread - no sheepish/accusitory looks when playing.

Face the audience, they are there to be entertained by you so give them your full attention, and that includes not fiddling with you amp settings mid song unless its really really necessary. Ditto for all other band members.

Good one.

All the above, plus..

Make sure the PA all works, and that you know how to set it up. I have lost count of the times I have been in a pub and have watched a band setting up. Clearly no-one knows anything about setting the PA up and working it properly and have treated the venue to howls of feedback and inappropriate levels.

At least make sure someone knows what they are doing if you want to look slick and be asked back.

And DONT BE TOO LOUD

Physically check all your equipment before loading it into your car/van. This includes coiling (and counting) all the cables you will be using.

Never take things for granted. Just because you had the volume knob or a slider on the PA at a certain setting when you broke down after your last gig does NOT guarantee it will still be at that setting now.

Double-check your pedal board. Then check it again. Patch cables are as reliable as a chocolate teapot and will suddenly develop intermittent faults at the slightest provocation.

Make sure you have TWO DI boxes with you (and the appropriate cables, of course). If your amp/cab dies without warning, you can continue playing. The audience need never know. Why two? You got guitarists, in't you? Think they'll bring anything useful?

If a covers band feel a need to "introduce" songs then they have no idea how cheesy it sounds. "[i]Here's one you'll all remember ...", "We'd like to change the mood a little ...", "Do you wanna rock? I said, do you wanna rock???". [/i] Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear. Oh dearie dearie me.

nice post, been covering the pa and desk for a band for the last two years, hopefully going to get to gig with them in the near future having my first practice with them later, all of the above i have thought at one time or another in the last two years, just wished the rest of the band had access to this lol

+1 to all the above.

My tip would be:

Don't worry about interracting with the audience that much. In my experience (two years working behind a bar at a music pub) people want to dance and/or listen to the music. They don't want to hear someone prattling on about how their dinner was or have a chat with a mate you've brought with you. Unless you're a comedy genius, it's best to leave banter well alone!

Truckstop

This relates to all gigs not just pub gigs.

Know your numbers, arrangements and keys; that means rehearsals.

Know where and when the gig is and what time you start.

Arrive on time, start on time and end on time.

Set up quietly, line check but don't play anything before you start.

Everyone should leave the stage between setting up and starting the first number

Have a set list. There should be no discussion or argument about numbers, keys or arrangements during the set.

The band should balance the volume of each instrument and should be loud enough. That means not too loud.

Don't apologise, make excuses or tell each other off during the set. Leave the autopsy till later. The audience probably won't have noticed and if you're any good they won't mind anyway.

If you're on a curfew, make sure you leave enough time to do an encore. Two good numbers constitutes an encore.

Leave the stage after your last number. Don't start to breakdown immediately the last note has died away.

Enjoy it as has already been said, otherwise unless its for more dough than most pubs pay, wheres the point ??

Know when to quit. Take your bass off after the last number and see if anybody actually shouts for more. I been with no end of bands who do encores for indifferent audiences, or stand around after the last number on the set list waiting to do one. Smacks of fishing for praise to me. Theres truth in the old saying about leave em wanting more !

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1365157' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:23 PM']....otherwise unless its for more dough than most pubs pay, wheres the point ??....[/quote]
Good on you, mate.

Bands with this attitude make it easy for my pub band to look and sound great. That's why we always get rebooked on the good nights.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1365062' date='Sep 7 2011, 10:59 AM']This relates to all gigs not just pub gigs.

Know your numbers, arrangements and keys; that means rehearsals.

Know where and when the gig is and what time you start.

Arrive on time, start on time and end on time.

Set up quietly, line check but don't play anything before you start.

Everyone should leave the stage between setting up and starting the first number

Have a set list. There should be no discussion or argument about numbers, keys or arrangements during the set.

The band should balance the volume of each instrument and should be loud enough. That means not too loud.

Don't apologise, make excuses or tell each other off during the set. Leave the autopsy till later. The audience probably won't have noticed and if you're any good they won't mind anyway.

If you're on a curfew, make sure you leave enough time to do an encore. Two good numbers constitutes an encore.

Leave the stage after your last number. Don't start to breakdown immediately the last note has died away.[/quote]

+1

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Slipperydick' post='1365157' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:23 PM']Know when to quit. Take your bass off after the last number and see if anybody actually shouts for more.[/quote]

+1

If you do one less song than the audience could have coped with then thats the perfect way to end.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1365169' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:36 PM']If you're bored playing a song, so is the audience.[/quote]
If only that were true; I give you Mustang Sally, Sweet Home Alabama and other trite chestnuts.

[quote name='ezbass' post='1365300' date='Sep 7 2011, 02:13 PM']....I give you Mustang Sally, Sweet Home Alabama and other trite chestnuts....[/quote]
I played MS last Saturday and will play SHA next Friday. The audience loves them and goes mad, the promoter will see that and think we're great and I'll be happy that everyone else is happy.

I’ll I add another point to my list. Never underestimate or look down on your audience.

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1365314' date='Sep 7 2011, 02:30 PM']And ALWAYS end on Freebird.......... :lol:

already got my coat and running for the exit :)[/quote]

:) :D
Actually.... you could make a point of avoiding doing most of every set every other band does.
I'd want to see a band do something different well..of course, you might not be instantly popular..and there are much easier ways
to do things for quiker gratification... but I think you'd win out in the end.

So, be discerning and more original thinking...and avoid the sheep

I'm a bit emabarressed really because we do all the wrong things mentioned but are amazingly out 5 nights a week!. I think the most important thing is to entertain, keep em' drinking, singing and dancing. We never rehearse and usually just try it out at the gig. Quite appalling really but it keeps us entertained.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1365164' date='Sep 7 2011, 12:29 PM']Good on you, mate.

Bands with this attitude make it easy for my pub band to look and sound great. That's why we always get rebooked on the good nights.[/quote]

Not sure what your point is. If your not enjoying it, and not earing enough to make it worth your while - what IS the point in doing it?

Edited by Slipperydick

A tip from my limited experience of pub gigs as a wee lad...

Remember that the role of the pub has changed - at least for you - on the night of the gig!

Ie. it's no longer a place to get bladdered and should be treated with all the sobriety of a workplace. Well, a workplace that allows for a few ales at lunchtime perhaps :)

Oh yeah and never [i]ever[/i] let the singer get his hands on amyl nitrite (or other psychoactives) prior to going on stage. It's a long story, but suffice to say it doesn't end well. Especially when the paramedics turn up! :)

remember the guy with his arms folded and standing still, staring at you like he is going to punch you, is most likely really enjoying the gig, and doesn't want to punch you, he may even tell you after how good it was, and that he saw the stones in 72

Edited by lojo