Why become a member? ×

Rickenbacker 2050/Warwick Corvette standard

basshead56

As it says in the title, am looking at both basses, but know very little about either if I'm totally honest.
Played a few Warwicks in the past (albeit briefly) and not really sure.
I think this one's German, but will have to check. I do know its got 2 band act/pas eq and jazz style MEC's

The Ricky on the other hand- I know SFA about. Anyone got any experience of them

What's a fair price for each model?
Will have to make up my mind fast though! lousy indecision... ( If it was a Fender or Gibson I'd be fine :) )

[quote name='basshead56' post='1363719' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:00 AM']As it says in the title, am looking at both basses, but know very little about either if I'm totally honest.
Played a few Warwicks in the past (albeit briefly) and not really sure.
I think this one's German, but will have to check. I do know its got 2 band act/pas eq and jazz style MEC's

The Ricky on the other hand- I know SFA about. Anyone got any experience of them

What's a fair price for each model?
Will have to make up my mind fast though! lousy indecision... ( If it was a Fender or Gibson I'd be fine :lol: )[/quote]
To me that's a bit like choosing between a kick in the nuts or smack in the face.... is there a cash alternative? :)

I spose I can at least think of [i]some[/i] people I admire who've played Ricks by choice... Geddy, Chris Squire, Bruce Foxton, Nicky Wire and of course Macca for a bit, tho that's about it. They mostly seemed to move on from them though. The only ones I like who've been linked to Warwicks were 'endorsees' who never seemed to actually be seen playing them but always had their old Fenders instead.

I know, have the warwick, turn it back into a coffee table and sell it to some schmuck to finance something proper :).

Edited by sime17

Personally I love the Ric sound and they look awesome. But they're supposed to be uncomfortable to play!

Not really a fan of Warwicks but the Corvette has intrigued me in the past, the neck looks very slim, and they also sound awesome in a different way.

For coolness factor I'd choose the Ric, but I'd probably be more comfortable with the Warwick...

I can see why you're having trouble choosing! Any chance of you being able to try them out and see which is the best for you?

[quote name='4000' post='1365387' date='Sep 7 2011, 03:58 PM']Apples and oranges, to be honest....[/quote]

+ another 1.

I've owned Warwicks and Rics and they are completely different beasts. I actually like both, but it really depends what you want, and what feels and sounds right to you.

[quote name='basshead56' post='1363719' date='Sep 6 2011, 08:00 AM']As it says in the title, am looking at both basses, but know very little about either if I'm totally honest.
Played a few Warwicks in the past (albeit briefly) and not really sure. The Ricky on the other hand- I know SFA about.[/quote]

It's a no brainer; if you have your doubts and are not in the know, don't buy/trade either, wait for something you know to come along. The market for both of the instruments in question is deflated at the moment, so if you get it and don't like it, you're likely to be either stuck with it or about to lose some money.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' post='1368121' date='Sep 9 2011, 09:51 PM']Anyway, if you ever come to sell it you'll have no problem with the Ricky it's a classic that will always sell.[/quote]

I might be wrong, but IIRC there was one on eBay recently that took months to sell? Having said that, I'd certainly choose the Ric also, but for the reasons above, I can understand why others might not :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1368126' date='Sep 9 2011, 09:56 PM']I might be wrong, but IIRC there was one on eBay recently that took months to sell? Having said that, I'd certainly choose the Ric also, but for the reasons above, I can understand why others might not :)[/quote]

Well i've had loads of offers for mine, it is an old one mind......

[quote name='Beedster' post='1368135' date='Sep 9 2011, 10:08 PM']I might have been wrong then. Not the first time :)[/quote]

Not necessarily, because the model you are looking at is not the same as mine, mine is a 4001. I'd still go for the Ric myself still, but it's horses for courses I guess. The only Warwick's i've played on had fat necks and seemed rather heavy , so not suited to me at all, as I said before though horses for courses, there's plenty of happy Warwick player's out there.- Good luck!

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' post='1368143' date='Sep 9 2011, 10:25 PM']Not necessarily, because the model you are looking at is not the same as mine, mine is a 4001. I[/quote]

Ah, I was right then, 4001s and 4003s seem to sell easily. There's a couple of other Ric basses that seem less popular, although i'm not sure why. I was suggesting above that the model the OP is considering is one of the latter.

Edited by Beedster

The 2050, or El Dorado to give it its proper name, comes from the lesser known 2000 series.

For those that don't know what this model is it has gold Schaller hardware, Bound body. People have referred to them as active as they have a circuit board in the large rear cavity but I don't think they had a battery.

They were budget basses designed to take the place of the 3000 series but never really caught on.

A white one sold in the US for $1099 last month which works out at £692

I've got a German Corvette, but it's the double buck model. However the body/neck should be the same if not similar, and it's by far one of the most playable basses I've come across. I've never tried a standard Corvette but a friend used to have one and he got an ace sound out of it :)

Either way, I'll bet the build quality with the Warwick is far superior to the Rick! Mine's built like a tank.

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1369990' date='Sep 11 2011, 10:12 PM']I've got a German Corvette, Mine's built like a tank.[/quote]

Surely that's built like a Panzer! haha

Yeah, tried both. Wasn't keen on the Rick so much as the Warwick- but someone else beat me to the Warwick. Another of the same model came up for a similar price but I think I may change tack altogether and put some money aside for a Fender Acoustic Bass of some sort or a G&L L2000 tribute.
Anyone got either of these they'd be willing to ship to NZ? haha :)