Why become a member? ×

Getting the right cable

DazBoot88

Alright guys, been having some problems with bass cables recently. The last couple i've bought have a tendency to fall out while i'm playing so i'm assuming i need to be getting one with a thicker end. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what i should be looking for?

Cheers

Are you sure it's not the jack socket in your bass/amp that needs looking at?

[quote name='DazBoot88' post='1361603' date='Sep 4 2011, 10:38 AM']Alright guys, been having some problems with bass cables recently. The last couple i've bought have a tendency to fall out while i'm playing so i'm assuming i need to be getting one with a thicker end. Was wondering if anyone could give me some advice as to what i should be looking for?

Cheers[/quote]

Sounds more like a problem with the jack socket in the bass. There are international standards for 1/4-inch jack plugs and sockets however certain manufacturers think they are doing you a favour by making oversize plugs. All these do is distort the socket so you can no longer use the correct spec ones. Before buying new cables I would inspect the socket. It might just be a matter of bending the contacts back again.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1364325' date='Sep 6 2011, 05:38 PM']Also consider tucking the cable behind the strap so that it doesn't get pulled out? :)[/quote]

Although if the jack socket is slightly enlarged it will still wobble around and crackle if you move
about a lot.

I've had the same cable for ages and left it behind at a gig a little while ago, i borrowed a mates one for my next gig and that one started falling out and now the one i've bought since is doing the same. It wasn't a monster cable but i'm beginning to think that it may have been that lead that did it. I best get it looked at next time i'm in london. Cheers again.

[quote name='daz' post='1367013' date='Sep 8 2011, 09:31 PM']Really! Good grief what happened ?[/quote]
As OBBM says they enlarge the jack socket so now he can only use a planet waves cable with the little springy ferrule or he gets silence. I have a short one which used to go from the tuner out on my Genz shuttle (and the Ashdown before it) to my stage tuner. Now it stays in the Alesis and into the cd in on my guitar amp used to amplify my drums, I think it's the in and out that does the most damage, ooo err!