Why become a member? ×

Playing covers for the first time!

WILD FROG SHOT

Hello!

So it turns out that my guitarist has signed us up to play a set of covers at his girlfriend's mum's 50th birthday party in about three weeks time. The main problem with this is that we've been a shoegaze/post-rock originals band for the past six years and have never played any covers (well we did play Just by Radiohead once, but that's it!).

We have decided a set of twelve songs, comprising a mixture of new(ish) and old(ish) songs:

Last nite - The Strokes
Foxey Lady - Jimi Hendrix
Sittin’ on the dock of the bay - Otis Redding
Are you gonna be my girl - Jet
Twist and shout - The Beatles
Mustang Sally - The Commitments
Three little birds - Bob Marley
Valerie - Amy Winehouse
Sex machine - James Brown
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Billy Jean - MJ
Hush - Kula Shaker

First full band rehearsal is tonight :)

I've learned the basslines for the songs and have played along a few times with the original tracks at home, but I was wondering if any of you seasoned covers players have any useful tips or advice for general preparation and rehearsal?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Try and find some live versions on Youtube. Chances are they'll be a bit faster than the recorded version, as you'll never get the tempo spot on and most likely your band will be playing it faster. So find some live versions and try to play to that, it helps me.

Hope this helps. :)

If doing straight covers then learn them at home along to the cd. than at practice have a listen through as a band so you're all on the same page as to structure etc then have a go!

be prepared to "fudge" the songs a little to help with the flow depending on the make up of the band (replacing keys sections with guitars etc)

also that set seams like a very varied set so could be quite a stretch for your singer! be prepared to change the key that your playing in to suit.

just make sure that they're fun to play and up tempo! they won't need to be spot on, but the crowd will need to recognise them!

Spot on with regards to structure, everyone needs to put in equal effort or it becomes a real chore.

I think you need to "know" the songs, listen to them until you know them inside out, it makes playing them so much easier.

Oh yeah, apart from the lead guitarist, we all learn from the CD, he watches youtube videos to see how they play it live, then combines the live with the CD, it works well, he's very diligent though!

Edited by ben604

[quote name=''ROConnell'']Try and find some live versions on Youtube. Chances are they'll be a bit faster than the recorded version, as you'll never get the tempo spot on and most likely your band will be playing it faster. So find some live versions and try to play to that, it helps me.[/quote]
[quote name='glitterskinjim' post='1357346' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:53 AM']If doing straight covers then learn them at home along to the cd. than at practice have a listen through as a band so you're all on the same page as to structure etc then have a go![/quote]
Thanks guys. I think the plan is to learn them straight, then 'adapt' them to our style so they are still recognisable without making it really hard work for us.

[quote name='glitterskinjim' post='1357346' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:53 AM']be prepared to "fudge" the songs a little to help with the flow depending on the make up of the band (replacing keys sections with guitars etc)[/quote]
Luckily we have a dedicated keys player who comes with Hammond, Rhodes and synth accessories!

[quote name='glitterskinjim' post='1357346' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:53 AM']also that set seams like a very varied set so could be quite a stretch for your singer! be prepared to change the key that your playing in to suit.[/quote]
We had a quick acoustic run through before we all went off to learn the tracks. It looks like we'll be playing all of them in original key except for 'Three little birds', which we need to drop down half a step.

EDIT: On a separate note, does anyone know what is going on with the original version of 'Three little birds'; it sounds like it's between keys :)

Edited by WILD FROG SHOT

[quote name='Johnston' post='1357356' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:58 AM']Has anyone said whether they will be faithful renditions of the originals? Or with your own slant on them?

No point learning note for note if the guitarist says "Oh by the way......"[/quote]

Yeah, it's going to be interesting tonight when we get round to the Foxey Lady solo...

More structure advice from me!

Write down exactly how the song goes because so many times you'll be rehearsing a song and then you'll all forget what happens after the second chorus for example. Either have a CD player handy or well written notes!

"No, hang on, innit the solo now?"
"I think it was the verse riff for a bit, then the middle 8"
"No, we play the chorus twice, but with a ring out at the end"
ALL "and THEN the solo!"

and so on and so forth

Truckstop

Edited by Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1357425' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:45 PM']More structure advice from me!

Write down exactly how the song goes because so many times you'll be rehearsing a song and then you'll all forget what happens after the second chorus for example. Either have a CD player handy or well written notes!

ALL "and THEN the solo!"

and so on and so forth

Truckstop[/quote]
Yeah, I always find that I can play more confidently if I know what's coming next (that's not supposed to sound sarcastic :)) I have them all on my phone, which we can plug into the p.a.

I'm thinking a flip chart might come in useful though!

It's your guitarist's girlfriend's mum's 50th birthday party - so don't sweat the small stuff! :)
Seriously though, if you don't happen to play everything note-perfect, don't worry too much about it.
I don't suppose Auntie Vera is going to chastise you for missing this or that note in the second verse of whatever song it was... :)
Bottom line is: have fun and kick ass!

Just play for the music, and not the ego. It doesn't matter if it's a faithful rendition of said tune, as long as it's played well and played with conviction. I think people will be more understanding of a band that does a job well, but in their own way, rather than one that does it badly and tries to be too much like the original. If people want the original, let them go home and put the record on :)

[quote name='Stingray5' post='1357466' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:13 PM']It's your guitarist's girlfriend's mum's 50th birthday party - so don't sweat the small stuff! :)
Seriously though, if you don't happen to play everything note-perfect, don't worry too much about it.
I don't suppose Auntie Vera is going to chastise you for missing this or that note in the second verse of whatever song it was... :)
Bottom line is: have fun and kick ass![/quote]

[quote name='derrenleepoole']Just play for the music, and not the ego. It doesn't matter if it's a faithful rendition of said tune, as long as it's played well and played with conviction. I think people will be more understanding of a band that does a job well, but in their own way, rather than one that does it badly and tries to be too much like the original. If people want the original, let them go home and put the record on wink.gif[/quote]

Thanks, guess it is important to keep a sense of perspective. I think we just all want to do a good job really. It should be beneficial for us as a band to play a little out of our comfort zones.

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1357519' date='Aug 31 2011, 01:47 PM']Thanks, guess it is important to keep a sense of perspective. I think we just all want to do a good job really. It should be beneficial for us as a band to play a little out of our comfort zones.[/quote]

Stretching yourself musically is very good. Many bands do covers these days, and there's no shame in doing them your way. Have you seen the Faith No More rendition of Lay Gaga's Poker Face? Quality :)

Have fun :)

Edited by derrenleepoole

If you're planning on sticking to the original arrangement, then a good guide for rehearsal to keep all in check is to print off the lyrics & chords so all know where any changes are.

One of my favourite FNM songs off a brilliant album (though the singing isn't the best).

Yes, play the songs to their original format, have fun, and remember that they are unlikely to sound like the original, they will sound like you guys playing the song.

As long as the songs are played well, in time and in key, and can be recognised as the original, job done. Only tribute bands have to get them exactly right so it sounds as if the original artist is playing them.

When sorting out your basslines, DON'T get hung up on faithful, note-for-note reproduction of the original.

It's far better IMHO to get the [b][i]feel [/i][/b]of the song right and play something that sounds right, is fun to play, and is "within your playing" - especially if you're doing this at short notice.

OK, maybe that doesn't work for [i]Alright Now [/i]or [i]Start[/i], but those are the exceptions ...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1357391' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:18 PM']Just make sure the singer doesn't start to do the Waynes world ears at a girl he wants to pull.

You will feel like killing him then and there. It's kinda hard to do the "I'm not with him" routine when on stage with someone.

[/quote]

... if he does you could always deflate him with some carefully placed and skillfully executed "walking octave disco giant steps" :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1357588' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:40 PM']... if he does you could always deflate him with some carefully placed and skillfully executed "walking octave disco giant steps" :)[/quote]

We've been toying with the idea of playing the first few bars of Stairway every three songs but never actually playing it. :)

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1357425' date='Aug 31 2011, 12:45 PM']More structure advice from me!

ALL "and THEN the solo!"

and so on and so forth

Truckstop[/quote]
THIS!

Make sure everyone is learning the same version of the song. Nothing boils my piss more than turning up to a rehearsal to find a certain MEMBER of the quartet has decided to learn what can only be regarded as a unique version "I found on You Tube". Because of course some band members will spend literally thousands on unnecessary gear but won't part with 99p to download a single to learn.

Sorry I seem to have ranted a little.

Brake a leg, have fun, don't take it too seriously. :)

ALL "and THEN the solo!"

and so on and so forth

Truckstop[/quote]
This is where writing charts wins-there are no questions about what goes where. Get one person to write out the arrangement so you don't
end up with 4 different versions because you've all watched different Youtube videos.

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1357597' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:51 PM']We've been toying with the idea of playing the first few bars of Stairway every three songs but never actually playing it. :)[/quote]

Be careful ... parties produce drunks, and drunks have very little sense of humour.

Some guys I know were playing a pub in Kingston last year (I was there for their gig) when a drunk in the audience started calling for [i]Smoke On The Water[/i]. It wasn't in their set, and they had no intention of playing it, but they all knew the riff (strangely enough) so they played a couple of bars for a joke, then stopped and went on with their set.

The drunk wasn't happy and called for it again after the next song, and the next. So they played a few bars, just for a laugh. Only the drunk wasn't laughing.

It ended with the vocalist nose-to-nose with the drunk for a real face-off, and the situation suddenly defused and went away, but it could just as easily have ended with a glassing.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1357601' date='Aug 31 2011, 02:55 PM']Be careful ... parties produce drunks, and drunks have very little sense of humour.

Some guys I know were playing a pub in Kingston last year (I was there for their gig) when a drunk in the audience started calling for [i]Smoke On The Water[/i]. It wasn't in their set, and they had no intention of playing it, but they all knew the riff (strangely enough) so they played a couple of bars for a joke, then stopped and went on with their set.

The drunk wasn't happy and called for it again after the next song, and the next. So they played a few bars, just for a laugh. Only the drunk wasn't laughing.

It ended with the vocalist nose-to-nose with the drunk for a real face-off, and the situation suddenly defused and went away, but it could just as easily have ended with a glassing.[/quote]

I'm hoping due to it being family and friends that sort of situation shouldn't arise. Advice duly noted though; we definitely wouldn't be able to play it the whole way through to an acceptible standard.

[quote name='ben604' post='1357359' date='Aug 31 2011, 11:59 AM']Spot on with regards to structure, everyone needs to put in equal effort or it becomes a real chore.[/quote]

Yep, if everyone does their homework, rehearsals can be fun and minimal

If the singer cant sing certain song in the right key or one just doesn't work due to instruments at hand, lack of frills, strings or bvs on record etc, dont be scared to alter it or drop it, but make sure they all work

Everyone mentioned youtube, I find live versions good for ideas you dont here on the record, either for your bassline, or for some exiting alternatives to the structure, if you have time for all that

Root, root and root,..if all else fails know where your root notes are at all times and make sure you know where the key changes are.
Dont worry about making it sound clever just keep it simple and solid. Though any recognisable bass runs may need to be mastered from the get go....audiences are'nt that sophisticated but they will notice if something major is missing.

Some nice stuff on the list. Impossible to go through them all but for eg if your trying to play Billie Jean like the record be sure to keep that repetative line even tempoed and precise, the band will love you for it.

have fun..

Edited by notable9