Why become a member? ×

Its my birthday today.......

neilb

So, I have bought myself a new bass to sit alongside my lovely US Jazz.

My only musts were a maple board and reasonably light due to last years sciatic episode I had and DO NOT want to revisit!!).

I spent a few hours with Chris at Bass Merchant just up the road from me, drinking coffee and trying out some basses. I wanted something quite different from the Jazz to give me some sound options. As you know,Jazzes are versatile in themselves, but I wanted something altogether new sounding.

I read great reports on GL Tributes.Look great and finished nicely, but the neck finish just wasnt me, too much like raw wood. Sound wise,though, alot of options.

Tried a Cort A4. Fantastic but not a fan of natural finishes, also a tad heavy.

Looked at an ESP Jazz, unbelievable quilted top job and a silky neck, but it was over four figures so that went back on the peg.

Didnt bother with Fenders as I have a nice one already.

Then I tried a Sterling by Musicman Ray34. Plugged it in to a TC rig and had a noodle. Lovely fast neck,slightly wider than a Jazz, but not quite a P. Finished in a nice Tobacco Burst with matching headstock. Three band EQ with tons of tonal options. The weight was crucial and this was not to heavy so my back will be grateful.

So, the Sterling came home with me and is now chatting with my Jazz. Great bass and so far very happy. First gig with the Ray will be in Chelmsford on the 7th Sept, hope Ive made a good choice....I think I have.

Thanks to Chris for his patience and his coffee.......Happy Birthday to me!!!!!

Edited to add some pictures.

Edited by neilb

Happy Birthday Neil.

I had a black Ray34 for a few months last year and loved it. The only issue i had was i still felt the neck was a bit wider than i cared for, but i could live with it if i had to.
While they cost a bit more now i still think they are good in their own right. Lots of people say its better to get a secondhand SR4 but its not always that easy to get one that looks as nice as the Ray34 with its matching headstock at that price.

I do have GAS for a Ray34CA but doubt ill get one.