Why become a member? ×

First of many, I hope!!

Jabba_the_gut

Thought I'd share my pictures of the first bass I've built from scratch – I'm kind of pleased with it. It really is quite satisfying to end up with a usable instrument from some drawings I scribbled a little while ago! Decided to try something fairly simple for my first effort just to see if I could do it.

The fret board is ebony, not sure about the neck and body. They were made from a block of hardwood that had been in my dad's garage for 30 odd years before sitting in mine for another 10 as something that would be 'useful one day....' - I'm glad I held onto it!
The neck is made from a single piece, the body is three piece.

Bridge is a Schaller 2000 series, pickup is an EMG 35DC with simple volume/tone controls, machine heads are just generic ones.

The neck is a similar width to a jazz bass and quite thin. It plays quite nicely – just need to learn fretless now!!

Have a go yourselves – you might be quite pleased with what you create.

Cheers

J.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Looks great. To echo others round here, it certainly doesn't give the impression that you haven't done this before!

One small question... has this got a trussrod? Or is it one of those truss rods where you have to take the neck off the body to alter it?

Cheers for the comments. I can't claim credit for the idea of the fret markers though, I saw that done on a Clover Argo based and though it looked good so borrowed that idea for this bass! The infill is just veneer I found to mach the neck.

Cheers

J.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='1346197' date='Aug 20 2011, 11:28 AM']I'll tell you what is so genius about this bass. It's the little fret-markers on the side of the bass (not the dots; they look like little brass infills). They're barely visible on the pictures. Very subtle touch.

Great job.
P[/quote]

Cheers for all the positive comments - really appreciated. It's not faultless as a first build but that was point of doing it and why I picked something fairly simple. There's a fair few things I learnt for next time such as remembering to put a slot in to adjust the truss rod without having to loosen the neck (might still do this yet), and how the cut the holes for the neck bolts etc so they are really neat. I had some fun and games with the finishes I tried too, but got there in the end!

Been collecting parts over the last six months or so for another bass when I have time. #2 will be a 5 string fretted, got a Badass V, Hipshot Ultralites, Nordstrand pickups, spalted beech top, maple body and neck blanks. All I need now is the time to do it!!

If anyone is thinking of having a go at building their own, I'd recommend it. There's plenty of details on this forum and on the web and plenty of advice available.

Just need to learn to play better now!!

Cheers

J.

[quote name='MB1' post='1347508' date='Aug 21 2011, 08:53 PM']MB1. :)
Thats an amazing job for a first attempt! must have taken some hours!.Nice touch with your initials! :)[/quote]

Doing my initials was fun - never done any inlay work before this. That was done with a 25mm square piece of mother of pearl about 1mm thick and an offcut of the ebony used for the fretboard. Makes you appreciate what skill it takes when you see some custom guitars.

Cheers

J.