Why become a member? ×

Bass DI

Grreth

Hi All!

The way things are working out for me at the moment, I've realised that I really need to look in to getting a bass di/effect unit. I've been thinking about it for quite a while and was only really looking at the Sansamp models but I couldn't make my mind up as to which of their models would be the best unit and/or the best value for money. However, to put a spanner in the works, I've discovered the existence of the MXR M-80 and the Aguilar Tonehammer and am now truly stuck. I'd really like some honest opinions and reviews on these if possible before I go and spend my cash.

I'm currently using an '88 MM StingRay and a LittleMark II, if that makes a difference?

Cheers,

Gareth

[quote name='Grreth' post='1345888' date='Aug 19 2011, 09:55 PM']Hi All!

The way things are working out for me at the moment, I've realised that I really need to look in to getting a bass di/effect unit. I've been thinking about it for quite a while and was only really looking at the Sansamp models but I couldn't make my mind up as to which of their models would be the best unit and/or the best value for money. However, to put a spanner in the works, I've discovered the existence of the MXR M-80 and the Aguilar Tonehammer and am now truly stuck. I'd really like some honest opinions and reviews on these if possible before I go and spend my cash.

I'm currently using an '88 MM StingRay and a LittleMark II, if that makes a difference?

Cheers,

Gareth[/quote]
It's all very subjective, but I've been very happy with my Sansamp. Robocopse has one in the Effects for sale section. I'm sure you'll be able to move it on if it's not for you

I've got the Sansamp BDDI Deluxe and an MXR on the way. I'm going to try the MXR and will let you know how the 2 compare when it arrives and sell the one I like least.

Lots of threads on these but the Sansamp is basically Ampeg tone in a DI box. It sounds good but colours your signal and compresses the tone a bit which is why I guess FOH engineers like it. I use mine for recording (had a few complements on how convenient it was and on the sound) and into the front end of a cheap Peavey combo to make it sound better.

Never used the Tonehammer, I really wanted one but couldn't find any and bought the Sansamp instead. Typically, 2 turned up straight after on here!

A good way to try the Sansamp is to get hold of a Behringer BD121. The two are very similar. The build quality of the Sansamp is much better, but if we`re talking tone here, I actually prefer the Behringer, as it doesn`t seem to colour the tone as much. Don`t get me wrong, the tones from the Sansamp are great, but if you already like the sound of your amp, the Sansamp will probably change it more than the Behringer would.

The Behringer can be got hold of for about £30, and if you decide you do like it, and get a Sansamp, the Behringer is also a great backup.

You've also got the Sadowsky Pre-Amp/DI which I've found to be awesome, although I haven't tried any of the others. I get all my overdrive from other pedals so it wasn't a needed feature for me, or I would have looked at the MXR/Sansamp/Tonehammer instead. For me it's the Sadowsky DI all the way!

I've used the MXR for a while now, and until recently have been very happy with it. The distortion circuit is pretty good, but it's not possible to bypass the "color" (mid scoop) when using this channel. I've just sold it, and am expecting a Dave Hall DHA EQ-DI, which doesn't have a distortion circuit, but is supposed to be a really clean DI with a very musical EQ section. I'll let you know how I get on if you still need the info.

Massive fan of the MXR-M80 here. I've gone on about it in other threads asking the same question so I won't bore you with details, but I've been using it live now for 4 years and never turn it off. If I lost my whole pedal board it really would be the first thing that I would replace. Switchable distortion, powerful 3 band eq, good noise filter on the distortion channel and a very clean DI. Each to their own, but I would pick it any day over the Sansamp.

Hey! Thanks for all of the feedback. I've managed to track down a cheap m-80 and I'm gonna give that a whirl...If I'm not sure, I think I'll have a go with the Aguilar. The EBS MicroBass looks cool but quite pricey. As does the Radial BassBone. Does anyone have any feed back on the BassBone?