Why become a member? ×

Bass with a neck like a Bass Collection's

Mornats

I absolutely love the old SGC Nanyo Bass Collections, largely due to their superb playability and that awesomely thin neck. I've got a bit of GAS for a brand new bass and was wondering if anyone knows of a bass that has a similarly sized/shaped neck as the Bass Collections. Ideally I'm hoping that someone has played a BC and can offer a true comparison.

Muchos gracias!

This is going to be one of those annoying moment when it appears someone has helped, and they haven't - because I can't - nonetheless felt compelled to post a reply as I have an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection 611; an instrument that seems to have been entirely forgotten by the internet. It's great - I've played it for 20 years, and it does have a lovely neck (even with a few chunks out of it).

I think my son might be selling his - I will find out. It's not a 611, slightly lower down the range if I recall...

TG

Edited by Tex Gore

How much are you thinking of spending? For a fine slim neck you could do much worse than try a Veillette - probably one of the best necks on any bass I've played..problem you will have is that there aren't lots about..Philw is the UK distributer - top fella, but you would need to be near Brighton to try his...

[url="http://www.veilletteguitars.com/home_bass.shtml"]http://www.veilletteguitars.com/home_bass.shtml[/url]

Alternatively if you're after "something like a Bass Collection" why not buy a Bass Collection - there are 3 or 4 in the "For sale" thread..

I have a liking for skinny, fast necks - both narrow and shallow. Of those I have tried and owned my SGC Nanyo is probably the best - certainly overall it is my most comfortable and playable bass and the one I use for longer rehearsals. I haven't tried the Ibanez/Yamaha basses that look similar as I understand they don't bring much to the party that SGC Nanyo doesn't already do better. That might be wrong.

Although looking completely different, a similar feeling neck for me is that on my Fender Precision Lyte, and also my Fender Power Jazz Bass Special (which beats everything else hands down on tone). I used to own a Fender Jaguar - this also has a very narrow and shallow neck. I believe the Geddy Lee bass also has this same skinny and shallow neck but I've never actually picked one up to try it. But another unlikely candidate is the Epiphone T-Bird Pro - I had one of those for a while and the neck was gorgeous - it's best feature IMO. Also some Peavey basses might be worth looking at - I had a Milestone III that had a lovely fast neck, I think maybe some of the 'better' models do also.

But as has been said, if it ain't broke, why try to fix it - if SGC Nanyo does it so well, why change it*

* With the caveat that I can't stop keep looking at others either....

[quote name='Tex Gore' post='1338363' date='Aug 13 2011, 01:56 AM']This is going to be one of those annoying moment when it appears someone has helped, and they haven't - because I can't - nonetheless felt compelled to post a reply as I have an SGC Nanyo Bass Collection 611; an instrument that seems to have been entirely forgotten by the internet. It's great - I've played it for 20 years, and it does have a lovely neck (even with a few chunks out of it).[/quote]

Pictures! Never seen one of those!!

The bass collection five-string neck is pretty close to a Yamaha TRB5 - TRB is flatter and slightly slimmer front-to-back.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

My first thought is to agree that I should ideally look at another Bass Collection. I've been a fan of them since I bought an SB301 new in 1994 (£320 I think it was, pearl white, passive, an absolute beauty but I sold it years ago). I've got a 5 string and a fretless Bass Collection which I love but my "main go-to" bass is my 4 string Dean Hillsboro Single which, despite having a lovely nice flat smooth neck, simply doesn't sound anywhere near as nice as my BCs.

I do quite fancy treating myself to a really nice new bass, somewhere in the £400-900 range. Not that I want to spend that much but if price is an indicator of quality, and I know this isn't always the case, then that's what I'm aiming for.

I think I'll have a go of a few Ibanez's to see what they're like. I've always passed them over when in guitar shops as I think I see them more as a budget brand (as they do some great budget instruments).

I wouldn't mind finding out a bit more about your son's bass Tex Gore. Where are you based incidentally? I'm based in Bristol but can travel if needed.

Being a big fan of Geddy Lee, the Geddy Lee Jazz is tempting but I've never liked Fenders. They're the Ford Focus of the bass world - great at what they do, a genuine industry standard but they're common as muck and nothing about them stands out. I'm not aiming to sound like a session bassist and that's all I think of when I hear them. Truly boring shape too in my opinion! (Apologies to Fender fans! I do actually appreciate their quality though.)

Thanks again!

For the money your prepared to spend (up to £900) you could get a really nice Jaydee - in fact there's one for sale in the FS thread. You get a really nice quick neck plus the top quality Jaydee electronics - I don't think you'll find many who'll have negative things to say about Jaydees..

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1340045' date='Aug 14 2011, 09:13 PM']For the money your prepared to spend (up to £900) you could get a really nice Jaydee - in fact there's one for sale in the FS thread. You get a really nice quick neck plus the top quality Jaydee electronics - I don't think you'll find many who'll have negative things to say about Jaydees..[/quote]
Aren't Jaydees usually heavy? (I've never played one btw!)

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1340601' date='Aug 15 2011, 12:58 PM']Aren't Jaydees usually heavy? (I've never played one btw!)[/quote]

The Series III isn't too bad but the Series I can be a bit of a 'boat anchor' because the body is quite large in the style of some Alembic Series I basses. That said, they don't balance badly so the weight isn't as much of an issue as it could be.

I had a BC and like you loved the neck. I have an Iceni and the neck on it it quite similar, obviously try before you buy, but it might be worth having a look through the for sale if any come up. Otherwise you can try mine if you are coming to the SE Bash.

edit: Doh! Just seen your info and that you are on the other side of the country, so probably won't make it to the SE Bash.

Edited by MacDaddy

My mate's (and ex bandmate) dad had one of these and I always had a go on his gear. The neck was fantastically thin, and the bass produced some great sounds. Without trying to plug too much, my Dean has a fairly similar neck, just as thin though I think the profile is a bit flatter IIRC. It is for sale on here, and is probably cheaper than some options being suggested. But don't necessarily buy mine, get out and try some. IMO Ibanezes are similar so if you don't mind those try some of them too.

• 1 month later...