Why become a member? ×

covers bands, untouchable basslines

lojo

[quote name='lojo' post='1336542' date='Aug 11 2011, 03:35 PM']For those that play covers, are there any classic songs which have basslines you'd love to play but would decline for fear of not doing a good enough job

For example, id love to play "hit me with your rhythm stick" and "forget me knots"

In the past i've agreed to play lines that I thought might be beyond me, but with practice i've pulled them off to everyones satisfaction, but the issue is still there

Anyone else have this ?[/quote]

you read my mind - was talking to our drummer only the other day and suggested we should do rhythm stick - i think with songs like this its a case of if its within your ability then do it strictly as per the record - if not practice until you can or choose another song - but with rhythm stick its such a funky flowing little number it will most certainly be worth the effort as it is a real crowd pleaser :)

Get that from our guitarist all the time, think his time is almost up to be honest, even some of the simpler stuff he makes up and says its my own interpretation. I like to play as close to the original as I can. IMO if you are playing in a covers band, people want to hear the songs as they know them.

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1336922' date='Aug 11 2011, 07:59 PM']Possibly 'Something' by The Beatles - not because its hard to play, buts because its hard to sing and play that bassline! :)[/quote]

I agree. It's even harder to play and sing the harmony line! Great bass line though.

[quote name='charic' post='1337798' date='Aug 12 2011, 03:45 PM']I'm not sure I'd fancy trying to nail much aerosmith. Always struggled with that band, is it hand or do I just have a mental block going on?[/quote]

It has a certain swagger doesnt it? Great feel that band. Think the drummer has alot to do with it.

[quote name='bethnalgreen' post='1338126' date='Aug 12 2011, 08:03 PM']I look forward to the day when someone plays the bass riff in the middle of You Can Call Me Al live ............ as the second half of it is the first half recording being played backwards is it not? :-)

JJ[/quote]

Yep, but all you do is play the first half as is....
Then again but with the notes in reverse order, last note first etc.
Bassist Armand Sabal Lecco did all the touring gigs with PS after the single, and did a great fcuk of job with it.
Plenty of him on Da tube.

Garry

There are some songs that have to be pretty much spot on.

Most cover bands don't play it like that and the crowd doesn't really care :)

I would love to play Money live. I play along to the record but have never quite got the courage to play it live!

Oh and we don't have a sax player either :)

Edited by Blademan_98

The guitarist in one band is a bit of a Robben Ford and Eric Johnson freak se we do about 4 numbers of each. Nailing some of the Roscoe Beck lines is difficult for me as the guitarist always wants to the "live versions" which are always 200mph faster so I admit, I bullshit my way through a couple of those.

I got "Animal" by TOTO pretty much spot on last week after about two or three hours but I'm still nowhere near anything like the record on Son of a preacher man that I do in another band. I simply can't reproduce that one, or even get close.

My keyboard player is very fond of the "we`ll do our own interpretation" phrase, meaning he can`t be arsed actually learning the song at all and relies on me to show him the right chords and lead lines.
He gets a bit surly but I`m f***ed if I`m letting him bang out triad chords on a sh*t piano sound like the Phoenix nights in house band while the singer drummer and myself are concerning ourselves with accurate patches and exact recitals.
I`ve taught him how to use the keyboards he has to zone sounds and layer things up but he`s resisting me connecting all his sh*t up via midi so he doesn`t have to individually find all the patches whilst referring to an old notebook.
Takes ages and he often uses the wrong patch.
Gah!

[quote name='andydye' post='1337821' date='Aug 12 2011, 04:00 PM']I don't mind it being tricky, I love wither, it would help if it kinda fit with wedding evening do's though...(should've mentioned that before :) )[/quote]

For a wedding...
Count of Tuscany is one my ff actually wants if we get married (not a metalhead)
Best of times?
Hollow years (although lyrics Probs not suitable)

Images and words or falling into infinity would Probs do

I've never seen a cover band able to do a good version of 'You Can Call Me Al' by Paul Simon. It usually down to a number of factors, things like the keys sound never being bright enough and just sounding wrong. The guitarist never gets their sound right either. The drums are never played with enough punch or insistency. But the main failing is usually the bass, probably because I'm so familiar with what it should be like. The biggest problem is usually players using a fretted bass. It just sounds wrong from the off. And the bass solo is a massive stumbling block, but I'd rather see something than naff bands where the song stops and rather than have any bass solo the guitarist or the keyboard player fluffs out a bar of nonsense.