Why become a member? ×

Fender Nate Mendel Signature

NJE

I just had a flick through the latest Bass Player mag and apparently Fender will be working on a Nate Mendel (Foo Fighters) signature Precision.

Now I am not a huge foo fighters fan and I doubt it will be radical but I think it could be a nice bass. Apparently the neck dimensions will be between a P and J, it will be Mexican built with relicing to match Nate's P bass much like the road worn basses and hopefully it will have the era correct Fender decals too (Nate's is a 70's I believe).

I look forward to seeing it as I have recently become a very big fan of P basses.

[quote name='clauster' post='1332466' date='Aug 8 2011, 05:53 PM']And I thought he played a Lakland Bob Glaub :)[/quote]
He does,but his Fender has been his go to instrument for years,especially in the studio-he even has a custom shop replica.
According to the Bass Player interview he's using Fenders as his main basses live,with the Lakland in drop D.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1332595' date='Aug 8 2011, 07:23 PM']He was playing Laklands then turned back to Fender for most of his work. Coincides with the fact the band have suddenly had a massive success with their damn good new album.[/quote]
Then hardly touched another Fender at all the big shows this year from what I have seen?

On the recent garage tour (a tour of peoples garage surprisingly) he played P basses and his black and the gold Laklands. The black one is very nice indeed.

Here is a link to Nate talking about P basses.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0eqlNKBFs8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0eqlNKBFs8[/url]

Jez

He is one of those players that hold the bottom end pretty damn well. Nothing too flashy, but some nice runs which you dont notice until you hear them through headphones.

With them being such a big 'rock' band with the tradtional 'loud guitars' I doubt he will ever be that dominant. Plus he seems like quite a quiet chap.

I think he should use a Stingray for a gig or two. I bet you will hear him then.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1332785' date='Aug 8 2011, 09:22 PM']On the recent garage tour (a tour of peoples garage surprisingly) he played P basses and his black and the gold Laklands. The black one is very nice indeed.

Here is a link to Nate talking about P basses.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0eqlNKBFs8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0eqlNKBFs8[/url]

Jez[/quote]

Great interview, and he seems very quiet and unassuming, much like his bass-playing, though he does the exact right job in the Foos, providing the link between percussion and melody, without getting in the way of either - how bass should be, in my opinion.

And the bass sound at the start of the interview - great tones.

Everyone on here has the same feelings as me when I watched Back and Forth, "what a lovely bloke, seems really grounded, wouldnt mind going for pint with him". I have P bass GAS as well at the moment, which has just been fuelled by the thought of this signature.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1333227' date='Aug 9 2011, 09:19 AM']He is one of those players that hold the bottom end pretty damn well. Nothing too flashy, but some nice runs which you dont notice until you hear them through headphones.

With them being such a big 'rock' band with the tradtional 'loud guitars' I doubt he will ever be that dominant. Plus he seems like quite a quiet chap.

I think he should use a Stingray for a gig or two. I bet you will hear him then.[/quote]

I'm sure I've seen him use a Ray in the past. Maybe be making it up though.

I'm quiet partial to a bit of relicing, I enjoy the worn in neck more.