Why become a member? ×

Standing in the Shadows of Motown..

Danny

[b]BBC 4

8:30pm

Soul Deep: The Story of Black Popular Music.[/b]

The Sound of Young America.
The story of Berry Gordy, founder of Motown Records, a former Detroit car production line worker whose mission was to produce music that would appeal to both black and white audiences. With his team of Motown songwriters and producers the careers of some of the biggest soul superstars were launched, including Diana Ross and The Supremes, The Four Tops and Smokey Robinson and The Miracles.

With contributions from Holland-Dozier-Holland, Mary Wilson of the Supremes, Martha Reeves, Etta James, Fontella Bass and many others.

[b]11:00 pm

Motor City's Burning: Detroit from Motown to The Stooges.[/b]

In 1967 the biggest riot in American history erupted on the streets of Detroit - but it wasn't the only revolution going on. The Sixties would see Detroit create music that captured the sound of a nation in upheaval.

In the late Sixties, a rock scene led by the Motor City 5 and Iggy Pop and The Stooges created what was to become known as garage rock: music that would change the face of rock 'n' roll forever, paving the way for punk.

With contributions from Iggy Pop, Alice Cooper, George Clinton, Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, John Sinclair and MC5.

[b]12:00 am

Standing in the Shadows of Motown.[/b]

The story of the Funk Brothers who formed in 1959 in Detroit, and helped shape the Motown sound. This film reunites the Funk Brothers for the first time in 30 years.

Includes specially recorded live performances by the Funk Brothers and many other including Chaka Khan, Bootsy Collins and Ben Harper.

[quote name='Rich' post='153618' date='Mar 8 2008, 03:11 PM']If you only watch one TV programme this year, make sure it's 'Standing In The Shadows...'. It's [i]wonderful[/i] stuff.
Mind you, the MC5 looks pretty good too.[/quote]

Better make sure you finish your set on time tonight then so I can whoooooosh home and watch it :)

[quote name='Danny' post='153612' date='Mar 8 2008, 02:49 PM']I've never seen Standing in the Shadows of Motown so I'm hoping to stay up and watch it as I never usually get round to watching anything I record. :)[/quote]

You will not be disappointed - it is absolutely fantastic. One of THE best ever films about music.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='153744' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:32 PM']shadows..is great. joan osborne of all people sings a superb verion of a tune whos name i forget. must catch it again.[/quote]

"Joan Osorne of all People"?!!!! Try catching her last but one album of Motown covers called "How Sweet it is".....

[quote name='OldGit' post='153831' date='Mar 9 2008, 10:35 AM']I may have dozed off for a second but no mention [b]at all[/b] of Carole Kaye?[/quote]
I think she produced, directed, wrote and filmed it? :) No credit, of course.

[quote name='99ster' post='153733' date='Mar 8 2008, 07:59 PM']You will not be disappointed - it is absolutely fantastic. One of THE best ever films about music.[/quote]

I am no Motown junkie, but the DVD of "Standing in the Shadows" is my favourite all time rockumentary and I watch it again every few months. You don't even have to be in to the Motown hits (in which case you are a sterile robot) to appreciate the wonderous story of the musicians, their lives, and the history of it all.

The Funk brothers are great (that tambourine playing is jaw dropping) and seeing Bob Babbit and James Jamerson in this, should be made compulsory for BC membership.

I ain't too proud to beg in front of these giants.

You can watch "Motor City's Burning: Detroit from Motown to the Stooges" [url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009372j.shtml?filter=txdate%3A08-03&filter=txslot%3Aevening&start=1&scope=iplayerlast7days&version_pid=b009370c"]HERE[/url] for the next six days.

And you can buy the DVD brand new for a quite ridiculous [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Standing-Shadows-Motown-Richard-Pistol/dp/B0000V6S6E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1205078605&sr=8-2"]£4.98 from Amazon[/url].
The best £4.98 you could ever spend!

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='153833' date='Mar 9 2008, 10:38 AM']Yes I wondered about that as I thought it was now agreed that she did play on a lot of the classic songs.[/quote]
What? When has none been quite a lot? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=353"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=353[/url]

Edited by bass_ferret