Why become a member? ×

Primus kicked ass.

steverickwood

I thought they show was great and the set choice was, in the whole, very good.

I was disappointed with Les's lack of communication to the audience. He spoke a bit here and there, but has a reputation of lots of very funny interaction which I hoped to of been treated to. The big let down was the venue sound. Very boomy, like the sound system was not cut out for the size (or height) of the room. The mid was all snare drum until half waythrough and we only really got treated to a good guitar sound for the encore!

When they got it right, it sounded massive, but it took most the gig before the soundmen decided to tweak.. Shame.

Still enjoyed it lots, was cool to hook up with Robbie (RIM basses) and Dood, and the show was very enjoyable. Let's not mention 'Hot Head Show's opening slot though... Urghhhh.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1303256' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:59 AM']I thought they show was great and the set choice was, in the whole, very good.

I was disappointed with Les's lack of communication to the audience. He spoke a bit here and there, but has a reputation of lots of very funny interaction which I hoped to of been treated to. The big let down was the venue sound. Very boomy, like the sound system was not cut out for the size (or height) of the room. The mid was all snare drum until half waythrough and we only really got treated to a good guitar sound for the encore!

When they got it right, it sounded massive, but it took most the gig before the soundmen decided to tweak.. Shame.

Still enjoyed it lots, was cool to hook up with Robbie (RIM basses) and Dood, and the show was very enjoyable. Let's not mention 'Hot Head Show's opening slot though... Urghhhh.[/quote]

Peopl have the same thing with Rush - the prob with a band playing that many notes, especially in the low register must be pretty hard to mix with both 'weight' and definition. You're right about the snare though.
Irrepective, performance-wise and set wise, very good. And the drummer was superb!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1303256' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:59 AM']Still enjoyed it lots, was cool to hook up with Robbie (RIM basses) and Dood, and the show was very enjoyable. [b]Let's not mention 'Hot Head Show's opening slot though... Urghhhh.[/b][/quote]

Oh dear, that's our new drummer's best mate's band :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1303282' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:24 AM']Oh dear, that's our new drummer's best mate's band :)[/quote]

Kinda like a loose Mr Bungle, with badly thought out songs, no hooks and a singer who mumbles at a speed no human can possibly tell what he's saying, even when 'interacting' with the audience. There was a sea of people staring blankly.

That said - They are doing well enough to open for Primus and clearly have a fan base looking online so I can't argue with success!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1303289' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:29 AM']Kinda like a loose Mr Bungle, with badly thought out songs, no hooks and a singer who mumbles at a speed no human can possibly tell what he's saying, even when 'interacting' with the audience. There was a sea of people staring blankly.

That said - They are doing well enough to open for Primus and clearly have a fan base looking online so I can't argue with success![/quote]
They sound f***in horrible! :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1303289' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:29 AM']That said - They are doing well enough to open for Primus and clearly have a fan base looking online so I can't argue with success![/quote]

No..They get to open up for Primus because the singers dad used to be the drummer in Oysterhead with Les Claypool.

Wasn't Stuart Copeland the drummer in Oysterhead (or am I mistaken)?

Saw the gig last night. I really enjoyed it. I was downstairs for the first half and then snuck in upstairs for a seat for the second. The sound was a lot better upstairs than downstairs. The Whamola solo was brilliant. The show did bring back memories of being like 14-15 years old though.

[quote name='Mark Latimour' post='1303317' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:55 AM']Wasn't Stuart Copeland the drummer in Oysterhead (or am I mistaken)?[/quote]

You're not mistaken. Hot Head Show singer is Stuarts son Jordan

[quote name='RIM Basses' post='1303472' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:56 PM']had a great time last night, good to hook up with shep and dood, loved hearing all the frizzle fry stuff brong back memories aged 16 and pissed up in the park lol[/quote]

Hi Robbie, how are things ? hope business is good.
My Rim custom is still going strong, although looking a bit battered.. :)
Its clocked up a few thousand global miles and is still in one piece -although a fret dress could be on the cards..
I will let you know when.

Garry

the support band were good, just wrong gig i reckon. supporting a band that they didnt sound so similar to would have done them a lot more justice. overall the gig was epic, and les giving us a little chat close to the beginning was enough for me, banging night

I went to manchester not brixton by the way!

Edited by dumelow

[quote name='fretmeister' post='1303691' date='Jul 14 2011, 04:19 PM']I had a ticket and missed it.

Fatality on the train line. Waited around for ages, then got a taxi home (30 odd miles) to try and get my car to discover the M1 was shut. I wouldn't have got to Brixton before 10pm. Maybe later.

Gutted beyond words.[/quote]

MB1. :)
:) You can not get much more unluckier than this?
I also didnt get to see the Manchester Gig either (so your not on your own there!)

[quote name='thumbo' post='1303942' date='Jul 14 2011, 08:25 PM']Does anyone know what bass he was using for Over The Falls?[/quote]

Michael Kelly Bayou 4

[url="http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/bayou4.html"]http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/bayou4.html[/url]

really enjoyed it, was a real treat to hear over the falls and duchess, tommy the cat with a bit of the awakening was amazing and mr knowitall wwas so special!

thought the salad fingers graphics on the the spacemen's faces was a really cool touch.

would have liked to hear a couple of songs from pork soda , obviously mud and maybe mr krinkle or bob but i realyl cant complain!

i had a look at the setlist compared to some of the other dates they have done recently and i think we got a real good set!