Why become a member? ×

Fingerstyle or Pick.. are your fingers the talkers?

ToneDeluxe

you thought i was going to say what is best?... my curious Q is, have you ever switched styles for genres... i could, or some may say, that pick is for rock type stuff, and fingerstyle is for funky style bass playing.. obviously this is nonsence.. you could say that a pick cuts through way better for Rock,...

i have never seen a funk player play with a pick, but ive seen loads of rock players play with there fingers... go figure..

Edited by ToneDeluxe

[quote name='ToneDeluxe' post='1301814' date='Jul 13 2011, 02:04 AM']i have never seen a funk player play with a pick,[/quote]

You maybe didn't look too far --- Anthony Jackson on O'Jays Love of Money is just one example -- Go study... :)

B

Edited by Sonic_Groove

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='1301820' date='Jul 13 2011, 01:17 AM']You maybe didn't look too far --- Anthony Jackson on O'Jays Love of Money is just one example -- Go study...

B[/quote]
ha there is some knowledge on this dog.....i stand corrected my friend.. i go listen..

Edited by ToneDeluxe

[quote name='ToneDeluxe' post='1301814' date='Jul 13 2011, 02:04 AM']i have never seen a funk player play with a pick, but ive seen loads of rock players play with there fingers... go figure..[/quote]

You're not familiar with Bobby Vega then? He's a really funky pick player-he subbed for Rocco with Tower of Power.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1301838' date='Jul 13 2011, 01:47 AM']You're not familiar with Bobby Vega then? He's a really funky pick player-he subbed for Rocco with Tower of Power.[/quote] oh.. thanks doddy. i will check him out. sorry im in my own world when it comes to bass playing.

Edited by ToneDeluxe

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='1301832' date='Jul 13 2011, 02:37 AM']Actually with all that gaffa tape on his thumb you could say Mark King is mostly playing with a pick :)[/quote]

I had to read that twice... :)

In 30 years of playing bass I've never found a use for a plectrum, I just adapt my finger style to suit whatever I'm playing.

[quote name='icastle' post='1301842' date='Jul 13 2011, 01:53 AM']I had to read that twice... :)

In 30 years of playing bass I've never found a use for a plectrum, I just adapt my finger style to suit whatever I'm playing.[/quote]

no need for a sharper sound?..

[quote name='ToneDeluxe' post='1301845' date='Jul 13 2011, 02:57 AM']no need for a sharper sound?..[/quote]

Nope.
I keep my nails trimmed down to about 3mm and just adjust the angle and force I hit the string at - means I can move from a nice mellow sound to a real clank without doing a pedal dance. :)

[quote name='ToneDeluxe' post='1301852' date='Jul 13 2011, 03:08 AM']im getting the feel that mr Castle is a pro....[/quote]

Nah.
I have enough trouble working out what I've done with my mobile phone, so the chances of me keeping track of the whereabouts of a 1" sliver of plastic are nil... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1301859' date='Jul 13 2011, 03:19 AM']Nah.
I have enough trouble working out what I've done with my mobile phone, so the chances of me keeping track of the whereabouts of a 1" sliver of plastic are nil... :lol:[/quote]

1"! I may have just found why you don't get on with a pick! :)

I'm almost exclusively pick player, playing mainly rock and metal. In process of forming an acoustic/indie 3 piece atm though and my lines are quite funky with them :)

I very rarely find I need to use a pick. And it frustrates me because using a pick slows me down no end.
This is how rarely I use a pick, I have the single and only pick I have owned, which was given to me by someone. Had it for 7 years.

Never had trouble cutting through in a rock band without a pick.

Edited by Ross

Both - whatever gives the right sound and feel for the song. Also while I have a favourite that I use most of the time, in the studio I'll use different picks for different sounds. To me it's no different to which finger you are going to use or if you are going to alternate fingers when playing finger style.

Why limit yourself?