Why become a member? ×

Shergold Basses

bassfan

There should be a small 'woosh' any second now and ShergoldSnickers will appear... :)

In the meantime...

Shergold really kicked off in the mid 70's and was run by a couple of ex Burns employees (I seem to recall that Mike Rutherfords twin neck was a Shergold, but I could be wrong).

I remember them closing down in the early 80's as a shop I used to work in bought up about 10 of them.
They reappeared in the early 90's for a couple of years before closing down again.

I'm pretty certain that both of the original founders have passed away now, so chances are that if we ever see Shergold guitars appear again, it'll just be a brand name on a mass produced instrument that won't be to the same quality.

[quote name='bassfan' post='1301751' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:37 PM']Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about shergold basses.

I know they are no longer made. Hand made in the uk. Are they any good?

Let me have your knowledge.... :)[/quote]

Yep they're good. I got two custom doubles, one a 12/4 and the other a 4/8.
Pros: Modular electronics on some models, zero fret, instant 70s rock sound.
Cons: the finish is prone to cracking, good luck finding spares.

The website mentioned earlier is pretty cool, and you'll see me on there :)

There is a [url="http://www.shergold.co.uk/forum/"]discussion forum[/url] dedicated to those who enjoy Shergold guitars. To say they were hapless efforts by UK makers is exceedingly unfair, IMO. I had it's first cousin for a while - a Hayman 4040. Built like a tank, around the same weight, with a neck like a floorboard. Beautifully built instrument, mind you.

[quote name='toneknob' post='1302018' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:11 AM']Yep they're good. I got two custom doubles, one a 12/4 and the other a 4/8.
Pros: Modular electronics on some models, zero fret, instant 70s rock sound.
Cons: the finish is prone to cracking, [b]good luck finding spares.[/b]

The website mentioned earlier is pretty cool, and you'll see me on there :)[/quote]
I recently exchanged emails with the guy from this site

[url="http://www.grubersaberhagen.co.uk/Grubersaberhagen/Home.html"]http://www.grubersaberhagen.co.uk/Grubersaberhagen/Home.html[/url]

And he makes the pickups that match, as well as a few other pieces. So in that regard, you could probably get repairs from him.

Also, his rutherford build is amazing.

[quote name='icastle' post='1301777' date='Jul 13 2011, 12:12 AM']There should be a small 'woosh' any second now and ShergoldSnickers will appear... :)[/quote]
Sorry I'm late – the bed broke down again.

As others have mentioned the shergold.co.uk website is the place to go.

The good – great necks, just the usual examination required for warping or twisting that you'd look for in any bass neck of that age. Good sound that cuts through. Balances well on a decent strap with no neck dive. Decent construction. Durable – mines fallen over, been dropped down a flight of stairs, been used to stir the porridge etc, and has withstood the lot. I like the look of them too, a bit like a poor man's Wal.

The not so good – the pickup can be a bit weak in output. The 'stereo' output is of dubious value. The wood – Obeche – used in the body construction is not nice to work with if you want to put an extra pickup in for example. The finish crackles after a few years as already mentioned.

In short, a great workhorse bass. Whilst not the same sound as a Precision for example, being a bit more ringing in tone, I'd say it does a similar job, but feels better built.

[quote name='Spike Vincent' post='1304103' date='Jul 14 2011, 10:32 PM']No neck dive? Mine thumps the floor as soon as I look at it. Also as previously mentioned, the flat radius fingerboard is an aquired taste.[/quote]
There is a suggestion of radius on mine – not much but it's there. Might be a difference between fretted and unfretted necks - mine's fretless. And genuinely no neck dive. Might be the wide strap I've always used with it though.

i had a 4+6 standard double , no modulators or fancy stuff - both necks felt quite good and id bother to get a good setup doen would have been very nice indeed - downside apart form the obvious weight issues and sheer size of the flight case was mainly the sound - really rather thin and unintersting on both but probably would have been more acceptable with a good setup and replacement tone circuitry

would def buy another shergold six string or bass if the opportunity arose

be prepared to spend a bit of time and effort to get the best out of it!

[quote name='bassfan' post='1301751' date='Jul 12 2011, 11:37 PM']Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about shergold basses.

I know they are no longer made. Hand made in the uk. Are they any good?

Let me have your knowledge.... :)[/quote]
A fretted & fretless were my first two proper basses and I used them for years.

Fretless I found a bit hard work with the laquered maple neck. The fretted was good and ultimately converted to an 8 string.

Depends on the condition and how much someone wants. I think my two went with flightcases a few years back now for £2-300(ish)

If it's not already been posted there are some old sound clips [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=98876&hl=shergold"]HERE[/url]

Played a White 8-String Marathon in Music Ground in Manchester before it closed.

I loved it, but it had an unworkable hump in the neck from the 3rd fret leading towards the headstock, suck a shame.

In typical style they still wanted about a grand for it.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1306304' date='Jul 16 2011, 11:50 PM']Played a White 8-String Marathon in Music Ground in Manchester before it closed.

I loved it, but it had an unworkable hump in the neck from the 3rd fret leading towards the headstock, suck a shame.

In typical style they still wanted about a grand for it.[/quote]

It was probably a fake.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1305722' date='Jul 16 2011, 01:05 PM']There is a suggestion of radius on mine – not much but it's there. Might be a difference between fretted and unfretted necks - mine's fretless. And genuinely no neck dive. Might be the wide strap I've always used with it though.[/quote]

Mines fretted.And left handed. I have serious problems with neck dive, but that may be due to the below the gonads position I play.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1306304' date='Jul 16 2011, 11:50 PM']Played a White 8-String Marathon in Music Ground in Manchester before it closed.
I loved it, but it had an unworkable hump in the neck from the 3rd fret leading towards the headstock, suck a shame.[/quote]

Pretty sure the same bass turned up at one of the Denmark St shops. The price sounds familiar. Interesting what you say about the neck, as my 8-string Shergold had something similar, and according to the chap who fixed it, it wasn't uncommon for Shergold/Hayman/Burns basses of the era. There was a batch of wood that was used before it had dried properly, and the fingerboards (or necks) carried on drying once construction was complete, resulting in some unusal neck distortions. Mine had a more pronounced bow from the 7th fret to the nut compared to the rest of the neck that truss-rod tweaking wouldn't fix. What he did was very gently and slowly heat up the neck/fingerboard join to allow the glue to soften and to let fingerboard to reseat itself on the neck, then reglue.

In typical style they still wanted about a grand for it.[/quote]
[i][b][size=7]HOW MUCH!!!!?[/size][/b][/i]