Why become a member? ×

New fees in Venues

JTUK

[quote name='dc2009' post='1300864' date='Jul 12 2011, 12:18 PM']Perhaps, though I play music for enjoyment, not for work, and whilst many guys play in covers bands to supplement their income, I'd argue it's a bonus to play for pay, but you should just be happy to be playing music to people who are enjoying it. Being in a covers band has the ease of the fact that if you're good, you should get decent turnouts - good and gig turnout are distinctly not related in the originals world. Surely a big reason a cover band will frequently get a good audience is because they're playing songs they haven't written, it's covers which are hopefully familiar to the audience, if anything I'd argue they deserve less for a gig on that basis![/quote]

Yeah totally, I fully see the arguement for originals bands to get paid more. Sadly that's not what makes money on this scale/platform.

A decent covers band should be able to get it`s own audience, in individual venues.

The last band I was in (and joined when they were already established so can take none of the credit for this) already had specific audiences in certain venues that only came to see us. I know this for fact, as I used to go to those venues a fair bit to see other bands, and very rarely would I see any of the people who were regularly in our audiences.

So in these cases, the venues would agree a set fee, plus if they had a good night, add a bit more from the bar-takings. So it was always worth our while to send posters, do the facebook thing, and importantly, play and perform well. We also got new venues contacting us, and asking us to play, on the strength of (probably) hearing how we "generated income" at the other places.

So really, these deals, at the start, can be a bit on the low-side, but if the band works hard, and the music is appealing to the ear - ours was punk, btw - it can work. A packed pub can easily do £2000+ over the bar, so 10% of that, plus £100 isn`t bad for a night.

Plenty of originals bands get paid well, but they've done the work first, built the audience, written and performed songs that folk like and are willing to pay for...

Sadly original does not automatically mean good.. In a perfect world it would.. If you ran a venue how much would you pay someone to play material no-one has ever heard of (and possible disturb your regulars) to a bunch of mates who probably won't buy much as they're driving...

[quote name='Dubs' post='1300874' date='Jul 12 2011, 12:25 PM']Yeah totally, I fully see the arguement for originals bands to get paid more. Sadly that's not what makes money on this scale/platform.[/quote]

Sadly, I think this is one more consequence of the bankers' gambling habit on the economy. A year or 2 ago my local had bands on most Saturdays (I played a few of 'em) and it was 6 deep at the bar. But I went in a few weeks ago and it was so dead - I'd say only 30% (at best) of the chairs had anyone sitting in 'em.

I play in an originals band these days so we have to endure the "pay to play" scenario, which generally means we're busting a gut whipping up support and even subsidising our gigs, which to my mind detracts from the important business of focusing on the music. So I have to say that even if this new deal at the pubs becomes widespread, it wouldn't put me off wanting to go back to playing in a covers band.

KB

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='chris_b' post='1300880' date='Jul 12 2011, 12:30 PM']Don't start with the "original bands are better than covers bands" crap, please![/quote]

I wasn't saying they were any better or worse, but learning someone else's material undoubtedly takes less time and effort than writing and arranging your own to a standard at which you are happy to put it up for public scrutiny. So purely on a basis of time spent, it would be fairer for the originals bands to be earning more.
In my book a good covers band deserves every penny they get and more, why shouldn't they get a portion of the take they provide the bar with the punters they bring, it's just a shame that's not the same with the originals world, is all I was saying.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1300955' date='Jul 12 2011, 01:12 PM']In my book a good covers band deserves every penny they get and more, why shouldn't they get a portion of the take they provide the bar with the punters they bring, it's just a shame that's not the same with the originals world, is all I was saying.[/quote]
I doubt most originals bands would want it to be the same...

[quote name='dc2009' post='1300995' date='Jul 12 2011, 01:33 PM']Some money instead of none?[/quote]
Ah, sorry - I thought you meant 'as opposed to a meagre guarantee'. Point taken.

Truth is, until an originals band is established, they're going to have to put up with stuff like this.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1300955' date='Jul 12 2011, 01:12 PM']I wasn't saying they were any better or worse, but learning someone else's material undoubtedly takes less time and effort than writing and arranging your own to a standard at which you are happy to put it up for public scrutiny. So purely on a basis of time spent, it would be fairer for the originals bands to be earning more.
In my book a good covers band deserves every penny they get and more, why shouldn't they get a portion of the take they provide the bar with the punters they bring, it's just a shame that's not the same with the originals world, is all I was saying.[/quote]

hmmm.. not sure about this... there is no benchmark as to what lines may have to be played if you write the song.. You pick on the wrong cover and you have a right handful to play it..potentially..and get it to work.
There can be a lot of bad playing on originals but who is to know...??? there is no ref to counter against.. :) :)

But anyway..that is a tangent.

Doing originals is like buying a lottery ticket, at least you have a chance of winning. When was the last time a covers band became multi millionaire / platinum selling artist.

Sadly like most things, they are what they are and if you don't like it you can vote with your feet or turn to the dark side.

Worst thing is pubs that are rally lazy and get a set rota of bands, some of whom bring in no punters and / or are just rubbish but refuse to even listen to you when you are ramming other pubs and could do much better for them.

Good call on Westlife :)

I'm thinking the originals bands not getting paid in pub gigs is often a mental block on the part of bands themselves.
We've done a fair few pub gigs recently. We've approached the landlords and told them we'll put on a good show and bring people. We've always got paid the same rate as the covers bands who play there. Other pubs have heard about us and have contacted us to play too but we're having a break from it for a bit. Although the money is very handy for recording. etc. we find the double set, no stage, bring your own everything a bit much. I'm happier doing a 40 minute set in a venue where we don't have to lug lights and PA. Although it's rarely (though not always happily) as lucrative.
The £100 plus 10% sounds like peed off landlords paying bands who don't bring anyone in. They'll either find bands to make it work or have to ditch it and go back to a guarantee I guess.

I agree about the pi$$ed off Landlords bit..as her supposed top draw on £300 a night obviously aren't worth it to her...and it is a way to force rethinks in these austere times..!!

I think she is killing her gig..but maybe the nails are in the coffin as a venue already and this is a last throw

I've got a dep gig soon and in comparison to what i've read here - it seems to pay reasonably well. It's a covers band (indie) and the music I have to play is mostly not to my taste and also quite boring (I'll still give it 100% regardless) but there are a few songs in there i'm looking forward to. Not sure if I could do a similar thing (music i'm not keen on) in the long term unless I knew it was worth my while on the money side of things. Even if the music was exactly what I wanted i'd still need to do more than break even.

Sometimes landlords managers don`t look at the full picture either.

In a venue we used to play, the then landlady used to pay us (and the other good crowd-pullers)£300, as we generated £2000 of bar takings.

When the new people took over, they were horrified at the thought of paying £300, so cancelled all the regular crowd-pulling bands, and started putting on duos, at £100 an evening.

Who hardly anyone came to see, so the takings were between £500 - £600.

Us - £1700 left to the pub.

Duos - £400 - £500 left to the pub.

Maths not really being the new peoples strong point. They apparently lasted 4 months max.

Sometimes landlords managers don`t look at the full picture either.

In a venue we used to play, the then landlady used to pay us (and the other good crowd-pullers)£300, as we generated £2000 of bar takings.

When the new people took over, they were horrified at the thought of paying £300, so cancelled all the regular crowd-pulling bands, and started putting on duos, at £100 an evening.

Who hardly anyone came to see, so the takings were between £500 - £600.

Us - £1700 left to the pub.

Duos - £400 - £500 left to the pub.

Maths not really being the new peoples strong point. They apparently lasted 4 months max.

IME, it's much easier to get a good fee from someone who isn't trying to make money out of you. We generally don't bother with pubs, and we've got to the point where we won't go out for any less than £100 a piece after expenses (4 piece) with weddings paying at least double based on location. We're getting about 1 well paid booking a month and that's just through word of mouth - we don't do any of our own promotion. It's an ideal workload for all of us and it also gives us plenty of time to play the originals gigs that we prefer to play. It's a great cash boost mid-month as well.

Play the right set, and play it well, and word of mouth will keep you in gigs for as long as you want.