Why become a member? ×

What is a Sue Ryder Bass

deepbass5

Sue Ryder is an eBay store (I think - There may be actual shops too)

(In My Brain) They brand lots of random things 'Sue Ryder', and flog them cheap, all direct import and I assume all ultra high markup for them.

They Did a Fender Precision copy for £59.99 and everyone went mad buying them and modding the crap out of them.

They were meant to be great!

I didn't buy one...

EDIT - Sue Ryder Charity Shops...

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1288399' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:43 PM']The Sue Ryder charity shops did a range of guitars and basses, P Basses were £59 Inc p&p ![/quote]

That's actually not strictly true:

For £59.99 you got a bass, gigbag, strap, lead, truss rod tool and a bridge allen key. :)

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1288446' date='Jul 1 2011, 12:27 AM']That's actually not strictly true:

For £59.99 you got a bass, gigbag, strap, lead, truss rod tool and a bridge allen key. :)[/quote]

and the signed tastefully posed pic of Sue herself. Or was that just for me? :)

A

[quote name='dc2009' post='1288465' date='Jul 1 2011, 12:44 AM']No reference to them on their website, I guess they don't exist anymore?[/quote]

They sold out quit a while ago on line. There now collectors items :) :lol: :D :)

A

[quote name='Johnston' post='1288714' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:18 AM']I hear unmolested ones have tripled in value.

Sadly mod'd ones are worth a packet of penny bubblies. Sadly no one on BC has an unmolested one. :)[/quote]

I bet tom1946 has got a couple in mint still...

[quote name='Johnston' post='1288714' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:18 AM']I hear unmolested ones have tripled in value.

Sadly mod'd ones are worth a packet of penny bubblies. Sadly no one on BC has an unmolested one. :)[/quote]

Oh havent they? :)

A

well, of my three ones, the first one could be restored to "unmolested status" by putting back a pickguard and pickup.

unfortunately, the other two are beyond repair:
one is fretless, and the other one has a stripped body (still not fully finished) that will be carved to accept a MM style pickup and reverse P...

:)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1290047' date='Jul 2 2011, 01:10 PM']unfortunately, the other two are beyond repair:
one is fretless, and the other one has a stripped body (still not fully finished) that will be carved to accept a MM style pickup and reverse P...[/quote]

Haha!!! Love it!

Who is going to be the first to add bluetooth to their Sue Ryder bass? And a c an opening :)

And this too: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=120281&view=findpost&p=1288181"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...t&p=1288181[/url] Bravo, sir.

Edited by Annoying Twit

Mine's now twin-pickup, and I'm just about to go carve out the body cavity so I can fit a couple of full size CTS pots in there. Last night I popped in the Seymour Duncan SPB-2 I got from Samhimself and rewired it with the pots and a pickup switch. My respect for the original pickup has increased significantly - the Duncan is a bit more focussed, but there isn't a huge leap in tonal quality and output is unchanged.

Quick update - finally got it back together properly, and it does sound good. I popped a WIMA 0.0047 cap cap in, and with 1 meg pots (they were all I had to hand - robbed from an old strat wiring loom I was expecting them to be 250K!) it's very crisp fully open and nicely deep with the tone rolled off, but without mud. It might be time to do some pot and cap replacement on the Jazz now.

Edited by Ancient Mariner