Why become a member? ×

Two basses, one amp with one input.

Linus27

It looks like I might be using two basses (fretted acoustic and fretless electric) at gigs now but I only have one input on my amp (MarkBass CMD121H). I was wondering whats the best way to set this up so I don't have to keep unplugging one lead from one bass into the other bass each time I change. Is it possible to get some kind of splitter box that plugs into the input on the amp and then have each bass plagged into this with its own lead? Any other options.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1288004' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:11 PM']Just get an AB box. I use a Boss LS2 Line Selector because it's got more flexibility and you can balance
the volumes of the two inputs.[/quote]

Oooh that sounds perfect as my electric ESP output is much lower than my Washburn AB10 acoustic. Thanks for the suggestion.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1288008' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:16 PM']Buy Happy Jack's Tone Bone in the FS forum. Two independent EQ sections in one preamp.[/quote]

Thanks Clarky, that looks quite interesting. Might be a bit overkill as I run all my settings flat but will look into it more.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1288031' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:36 PM']You want something like this

[url="http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm"]http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm[/url][/quote]

Hey thanks, that also looks perfect and similar to the Boss one.

Is one better than the other or not much in it?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1288052' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:58 PM']Hey thanks, that also looks perfect and similar to the Boss one.

Is one better than the other or not much in it?[/quote]

Haven't used the Boss one..but I was impressed by this.
I like the fact that you don't need a battery so it runs pretty clean.
I used it just to compensate for the levels between basses...but as one of the basses drains very quickly, I stopped staying plugged in
all the time so now do it the old fashioned way and mute through a rack tuner for a change-over. It is only a few seconds more to do this.

The Boss is powered so you will either have to use batts or run a supply..both of which I wanted to avoid..and simplify.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1288055' date='Jun 30 2011, 06:09 PM']Haven't used the Boss one..but I was impressed by this.
I like the fact that you don't need a battery so it runs pretty clean.
I used it just to compensate for the levels between basses...but as one of the basses drains very quickly, I stopped staying plugged in
all the time so now do it the old fashioned way and mute through a rack tuner for a change-over. It is only a few seconds more to do this.

The Boss is powered so you will either have to use batts or run a supply..both of which I wanted to avoid..and simplify.[/quote]

Ok cool. What do you mean by one of the basses drains very quickly? Do you mean its active and the battery in it drains quick as its plugged in to the A/B box all the time?

yes..both basses are active..and one drains off the pre quite drastically. It will drain if left in the bass for a few weeks.. I don't know why this is..as I have had it looked at for dodgy wiring..and it works fine.

But the output from one pre is far hotter than the other and they are both the same pre's..!! so I liked this A/B idea.
Until I get the active pre problem fixed, I am not going to have them both cabled up at gigs, but haven't gotten round to the former as yet.

Other than that, it worked perfectly. The problem was/is entirely with the bass pre not the A/B box

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1288287' date='Jun 30 2011, 10:02 PM']I`m also in the market for a two bass one input solution, but on the Bigshot I can`t see any volume pots, so how do you balance the two levels?
MM[/quote]

Thats a very good point. Well spotted.

It's a pot on the back...

These are ace...I used mine when swapping between fretted and fretless.

I've since sold it to my Guitarist who swaps between Electric and Pedal Steel on the same amp.

Lovely solid bit of kit - Allbeit not the cheapest!

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='1288409' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:51 PM']It's a pot on the back...

These are ace...I used mine when swapping between fretted and fretless.

I've since sold it to my Guitarist who swaps between Electric and Pedal Steel on the same amp.

Lovely solid bit of kit - Allbeit not the cheapest![/quote]

Where abouts or do you mean somewhere else?

[quote name='Linus27' post='1288009' date='Jun 30 2011, 05:17 PM']Oooh that sounds perfect as my electric ESP output is much lower than my Washburn AB10 acoustic. Thanks for the suggestion.[/quote]
OR turn the Washburn down to the same level as the ESP!

Personally I'm happy with unplugging & plugging. It only takes a second and most basses have a volume knob. I use a planet waves cable with a latching mute button in the jack - does the job for me in achieving a quick silent switchover without spending silly amount of money to save a couple of seconds on a gig.

Sorry guys..wrong link. This one

[url="http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-io.htm"]http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-io.htm[/url]

There is a trim which drops the level of input 2 which is the one you use for the hotter signal

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1289154' date='Jul 1 2011, 03:24 PM']Personally I'm happy with unplugging & plugging. It only takes a second and most basses have a volume knob. I use a planet waves cable with a latching mute button in the jack - does the job for me in achieving a quick silent switchover without spending silly amount of money to save a couple of seconds on a gig.[/quote]

I suppose it depends how much time you have to swap over. I use the LS2 mostly to switch between my electric bass and
either my upright or synth depending on the gig.In those cases there may only be a bar to switch over,so an A/B box is
vital.Even if I'm using two electric basses,I find it's much smoother and easier to just switch channels rather fanny about
unplugging cables.

I had the Bigshot IO for a while a great peice of kit and makes changes very quickly my one gripe was the volume control on the back for one of the channels could only e changed with a screwdriver which made balancing adjustments a pain if needed on the gig, not a massive problem though!!

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1289374' date='Jul 1 2011, 06:13 PM']I`m thinking the Boss will do me.
Failing that, a cheap micromixer.[/quote]

Yeah I am leaning towards the Boss. Plus its white and I have a thing about anything white at the moment :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1289379' date='Jul 1 2011, 06:16 PM']Yeah I am leaning towards the Boss. Plus its white and I have a thing about anything white at the moment :)[/quote]
I use a Radial Bassbone but then I'm switching between my active Musicman SUB and my Double Bass. The Bassbone enables me to eq the DB separately and there is a boost switch as well which means I can get the volume on the DB to match the SUB and I'm talking LOUD with no feedback.