Why become a member? ×

Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounder or Wizard Thumper?

thebrig

I've been gassing for a P for some time now, and have decided to put one together myself.
I've acquired a Squier VM body, and a Mighty Mite neck, and was wondering what type of pups would be best to get that classic thunderous "thump" of a P.

I am considering the Seymour Duncan 1/4 Pounders and Wizard Thumpers.

Do you have any other suggestions to give me that classic P-Bass thump?

And how much difference do the pots make?

Any advice would be very welcome.

Edited by thebrig

been through the same... yes change the pots to CTS and i went for Lindy Fralins.... more thump with litttle loss of clarity.. but that is using others experience as it would cost too much to buy them all and AB them. You pays you money, you take your choice
good luck

[quote name='thebrig' post='1280255' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:08 PM']I've been gassing for a P for some time now, and have decided to put one together myself.
I've acquired a Squier VM body, and a Mighty Mite neck, and was wondering what type of pups would be best to get that classic thunderous "thump" of a P.
Any advice would be very welcome.[/quote]

For the classic P-Bass thump I`d avoid the SD Quarter-Pounder. I`ve had them in a couple of basses, and to me they seemed to extend the highs and lows, but remove the mids - essentially de-Precisioning the sound - and have a slight "metallic" twang to them. Good pickups, but not classic P-bass sound, more modern sounding, in my opinion.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1280470' date='Jun 24 2011, 06:55 AM']For the classic P-Bass thump I`d avoid the SD Quarter-Pounder. I`ve had them in a couple of basses, and to me they seemed to extend the highs and lows, but remove the mids - essentially de-Precisioning the sound - and have a slight "metallic" twang to them. Good pickups, but not classic P-bass sound, more modern sounding, in my opinion.[/quote]

+1

And a +1 for giving Andy at Wizard a bell - he'll see you right!

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1280470' date='Jun 24 2011, 06:55 AM']For the classic P-Bass thump I`d avoid the SD Quarter-Pounder. I`ve had them in a couple of basses, and to me they seemed to extend the highs and lows, but remove the mids - essentially de-Precisioning the sound - and have a slight "metallic" twang to them. Good pickups, but not classic P-bass sound, more modern sounding, in my opinion.[/quote]

SD has a classic line that nails pretty much the P-Bass sound, I have one on a Franken-Bass and sounds great.

Having said that you are totally right about the Quarter Pounders.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1280255' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:08 PM']I've been gassing for a P for some time now, and have decided to put one together myself.

Do you have any other suggestions to give me that classic P-Bass thump?

Any advice would be very welcome.[/quote]

I have a Wizard thumper sitting around at home at the moment. Im not going to sell it but im not going to use it for at least a month. Your welcome to borrow it if you wanted it try it out for a few weeks.

I actually thought it was still in my CV P last week. I remember putting a Fender 62 RI pup in the bass as an experiment but thought i had taken it out.

So, there's another suggestion. The Fender 62RI is also a good, not too expensive thumpy pup. Probably a bit more open and not quite as dark as the Thumper, but still with plenty of thump.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1281211' date='Jun 24 2011, 04:39 PM']I have a Wizard thumper sitting around at home at the moment. Im not going to sell it but im not going to use it for at least a month. Your welcome to borrow it if you wanted it try it out for a few weeks.

I actually thought it was still in my CV P last week. I remember putting a Fender 62 RI pup in the bass as an experiment but thought i had taken it out.

So, there's another suggestion. The Fender 62RI is also a good, not too expensive thumpy pup. Probably a bit more open and not quite as dark as the Thumper, but still with plenty of thump.[/quote]
Thanks for the offer Dave, but I've decided to go for the Fender Original '62 P Bass Pickup.
Cheers
Brian