Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The Myth of Self Indulgence

Bilbo

[quote name='Doddy' post='1277411' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:56 PM']Going off the Wooten and James Taylor videos,which are both great-is there anything more self indulgent
than sitting alone with an acoustic guitar? It's not a bad thing,far from it,but it is still very self indulgent-possibly
even more than someone like Victor improvising a solo as a guest at a Dave Matthews Band gig. Yet,I'm sure
that more people would say it about Wooten than they would of Taylor.[/quote]

The intimacy and appeal of an acoustic guitar and a voice like James Taylor's isn't comparable to a Victor Wooten video, or any bass solo video. They are two totally different kettles of fish!

[quote name='risingson' post='1277418' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:00 PM']The intimacy and appeal of an acoustic guitar and a voice like James Taylor's isn't comparable to a Victor Wooten video, or any bass solo video. They are two totally different kettles of fish![/quote]
one is a kettle of fish the other is a fettle of kitsch

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1277426' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:04 PM']Me neither. Sod 'em. Let's go look for some sticklebacks.[/quote]
Damn, for a second I thought you had admitted to liking Nickelback. I'll shut up and get back to composing my concept album

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1277432' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:07 PM']one is a kettle of fish the other is a fettle of kitsch[/quote]

Had to do a bit of research for this one

fet·tle/ˈfetl/
Verb: Trim or clean the rough edges of (a metal casting or a piece of pottery) before firing.
Noun: Condition, esp. physical; trim.

I'm baffled, I knew i shouldn't have gotten involved :)

[quote]Someone once teased Bilbo for liking clever music[/quote]

There's nothing clever about moping around in your trilby and pants at home late at night listening to modal jazz at full crank! :)

(I joke of course, horses for courses!)

Edited by risingson

[quote name='risingson' post='1277418' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:00 PM']The intimacy and appeal of an acoustic guitar and a voice like James Taylor's isn't comparable to a Victor Wooten video, or any bass solo video. They are two totally different kettles of fish![/quote]

I couldn't give a rat's ar*e; the point is that the audience for both is similar so neither can be called self indulgent.

Unless 2m watched the JT video and one person watched the wooten video 2m times? It could happen!

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1277441' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:11 PM']I couldn't give a rat's ar*e; the point is that the audience for both is similar so neither can be called self indulgent.

Unless 2m watched the JT video and one person watched the wooten video 2m times? It could happen![/quote]

I wasn't passing judgement on either audience. Let people listen to what they want, everyone has a choice etc.

I'm not sure I understand the point either!

I understand that the more complex the music becomes and the more jazz and classically influenced, the more money, intellect and power the performers are believed to have by the angry punks and layabouts who like three out-of-tune chords and 'the truth', and it breeds grave resentment among the uncultured.

:)

[quote name='silddx' post='1277450' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:19 PM']I'm not sure I understand the point either!

I understand that the more complex the music becomes and the more jazz and classically influenced, the more money, intellect and power the performers are believed to have by the angry punks and layabouts who like three out-of-tune chords and 'the truth', and it breeds grave resentment among the uncultured.

:)[/quote]
I'm more worried that WoT doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between a child's building brick and a fish. :)

I think it reasonable to say that a true musician/artist is one that isn't prepared to compromise, and I guess that would make them "self indulgent".

Now, whether you like a particular artist's "self indulgence" or not, is up to the individual. Either way, it should be respected.

As for Punk? The worst thing that could possibly have happened to music. :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1277460' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:27 PM']I'm more worried that WoT doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between a child's building brick and a fish. :)[/quote]
Because it would be self indulgent to bother making the distinction?

[quote name='SteveK' post='1277463' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:30 PM']I think it reasonable to say that a true musician/artist is one that isn't prepared to compromise, and I guess that would make them "self indulgent".

Now, whether you like a particular artist's "self indulgence" or not, is up to the individual. Either way, it should be respected.

[b]As for Punk? The worst thing that could possibly have happened to music. :)[/b][/quote]
Not really, punk died a quick death and Rush are still here :)

[quote name='Marvin' post='1277460' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:27 PM']I'm more worried that WoT doesn't seem to be able to distinguish between a child's building brick and a fish. :)[/quote]
It was a joke, but I guess it fell flat 'cos there's no room for humour in a thread about Jazz. :)

[quote name='silddx' post='1277471' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:38 PM']Because it would be self indulgent to bother making the distinction?[/quote]
You're entirely correct :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1277482' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:44 PM']It was a joke, but I guess it fell flat 'cos there's no room for humour in a thread about Jazz. :)[/quote]
I was trying to keep it going to take my mind off of the Jazz :lol: But you're right, there is no place for humour in serious discussion about Jazz *Marvin frowns knowingly*

[quote name='Marvin' post='1277488' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:48 PM']*Marvin frowns knowingly*[/quote]
Skank strokes chin thoughtfully. WoT prods a sticklebrick uneasily. It commences to rain.

As for doing things for one's own satisfaction [i]or[/i] indulging one's audience, well, I think the best artists are those who can do both at the same time.

Mind you, that is [i]such[/i] a crashingly obvious statement. Sorry, chaps. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1277410' date='Jun 21 2011, 05:55 PM']I just thought that Yes had nothing left to say.[/quote]

While it is difficult to define "self indulgence", I'd say this is the essence of it. Someone who has nothing to say, but insists on saying it anyway.

Singer-songwriters without good songs... jazz soloists who have overstayed their welcome on a chorus... the list could go on and is not limited to music.

It's not a bad thing as such, but it is a thing.

Jennifer

[quote name='silddx' post='1277473' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:39 PM']Not really, punk died a quick death and Rush are still here :)[/quote]
Poetic justice. :)
Certainly, most of the punk bands themselves "died a quick death". Unfortunately, the attitude and ethos was more enduring.