Why become a member? ×

The Myth of Self Indulgence

Bilbo

Not really sure what this thread is about

But, if a musician is being self indulgent and one or more people are enjoying that noise, then I guess its win win

If you don't like it turn it off, or leave the venue (or throw a bottle or spit)

[quote name='urb' post='1278588' date='Jun 22 2011, 02:58 PM']What's the difference between a blues musician and a jazz musician?

A blues musician plays three chords to an audience of thousands - and a jazz musician plays thousands of chords to an audience of three...[/quote]

LMAO :)

I asked one of my kids this and she said:

Ones sad and the other sings scat..........

Who needs to go out when all the entertainment is at home :)

And another thing (waves fist)
The moment you go beyond someone's understanding, unless they are open minded individuals, which lets face it is rare in most walks of life, you cease to indulge [i]them[/i] ergo you will be considered in most cases to be indulging [i]yourself...
[/i]Feck 'em I say.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='jakesbass' post='1279040' date='Jun 22 2011, 08:58 PM']The moment you go beyond someone's understanding, unless they are open minded individuals, which lets face it is rare in most walks of life, you cease to indulge [i]them[/i] ergo you will be considered in most cases to be indulging yourself...[/quote]

Unless your* audience attends [i]in expectation [/i]of having their understanding taxed or surpassed by your unfettered self-indulgence. Such as might be the case in [i]certain [/i]genres. In which case, failure to indulge yourself would also be a failure to indulge your expectant audience.

The only way to genuinely indulge such an audience would be resolutely to avoid indulging them through any display of self-indulgence. So they're expecting beyond their understanding, you play The Banana Splits song and they ask you why you did that.

You reply "You don't understand, do you?" They say "No" and you say "Job done. I've gone beyond your understanding."

[size=1]* You in the sense of 'one'. Not you personally.[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar