Why become a member? ×

Single-Cut: fad or future?

Roland Rock

I know that these have been around for ages, but it seems to me that their popularity is much more recent, and even Warwick have jumped on the bandwagon. What next? Fender Jazz single-cut? :) Does a Les Paul count? :)

Aesthetically they are a dividing issue, personally I think they are really hard to design so that they have a good visual 'flow'. Some are fugly (Thumb SC), but there are a few exceptions where they can look balanced and elegant (ACG)

Anyway, is there real benefit to the SC, or will they go out of fashion?

There are a limited number of radically different shapes that you can actually use to make a bass guitar and I'm guessing the single cutaway started off as an attempt to make a new shape.

The only potential advantage I can see is that the neck is supported from about the 12th fret upwards so it may have a slightly more stable neck.

Anthony Jackson was a big early promoter of the recent single cuts claiming it has a better tone, I doubt it. Personally I hope the fad is over.

The single cut predates the double cutaway in guitar design, those calling it revolutionary have likely never heard of the acoustic guitar.

While I'm sure there are examples to the contrary when I see a single cut it's usually plugged into a looper and played by someone who plays alone and without an audience.

I'm pretty doubtful there's any tonal advantage to a single cut. I think most look ridiculous anyway, although some look great (I really like Jon Shuker's singlecut shape).

Also it depends what you class as a single cut. Telecaster? Les Paul? Very popular single cuts.

But yeah, I think it's just a matter of looks, and I guess they're a little more interesting than a Precision bass.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1274238' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:57 PM']I didn't realise they were in fashion. After all, I've never seen one being used live on stage. Perhaps I need to get out more.[/quote]

The same, I really can't recall anyone apart from Anthony Jackson.

Not a big fan of the 'boutique' looking single cut instruments such as Seis, Foderas etc. but I appreciate the work that goes into making them and I'm sure many of them sound excellent.

I agree that they are not in every pub gig, but they seem to be an option with all of the luthiers now, more so than in the past, suggesting that more and more people are asking for them. Reading Bass mags, there seems to be an increase in players using them, such as Damian Erskine, Dave Swift, Matt Garrison etc.

edit: obviously the attachment is a crap mockup done by me on a saturday night - God, I miss gigging!

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1274238' date='Jun 18 2011, 02:57 PM']I didn't realise they were in fashion. After all, I've never seen one being used live on stage. Perhaps I need to get out more.[/quote]
I've seen Tony Grey, Matt Garrison and Richard Bona use them onstage. It was the fad for a while in the US among the wannabees. Many of the small boutique builders came out with single cuts around the same time and they made some good money from the bedroom warriors.

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1274302' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:35 AM']thats a good point..im thinking they dont need a truss rod though..?[/quote]

Doesn't Wishbass favour singlecuts or long top bouts and avoid truss rods? I actually had one for a while. I have smaller and lighter furniture. That Warwick Thumb singlecut just looks silly.

ficelles

[quote name='Darkstrike' post='1274311' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:50 AM']It's funny, guitar builders spent a lot of time thinking of how to add cutaways for playability.

Now they're removing them again..... progress in reverse.[/quote]new designs and modern gimmicks like light wave tech etc, will never catch on.. you know why.. because there is not much to fix.. you tell anything wrong with a jazz, MM, Warwick,P Bass etc.. you can design things to a point.. from that your fixing something that aint broke.. IMO.. its the quality in whats there already

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='ahpook' post='1274306' date='Jun 19 2011, 12:43 AM']maybe that's it, though this one from the warwick site has a [i]cover[/i]...

[/quote]

Wow, mark, I think that looks spectacular. I thought the natural finish one on the website looked average, but in white that is seriously nice, not too sure why I'm the only one who seems to like it!

Cant people just accept that its a different shape that some people just dig?

The alone in a bedroom with a looper comment made me chuckle.. because thats exactly what i do.. with a Singlecut.. But why should a sit on my own thudding away on the E string when i do that in various bands almost every night of the week? Theres been so many anti soloing/slapping/singlecutsoloslapping vibes on here recently.. and now it seems we are no longer safe from judgement in our own bedrooms!

My honest answer is that my singlecut bass is very comfortable, very resonant, and very very stable in the old neck department. It plays like a dream on a strap or sat down. Jon Shuker has done a really good job with it. But then again, these are all qualities i have found in other basses (from p's to J's to Sei's blah blah) but right now, i'm digging the singlecut, so i'm going to defend it.. the same way i would defend a silly haircut that i thought was top.

Edited by JMT3781

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1274259' date='Jun 18 2011, 11:32 PM']I agree that they are not in every pub gig, but they seem to be an option with all of the luthiers now, more so than in the past, suggesting that more and more people are asking for them. Reading Bass mags, there seems to be an increase in players using them, such as Damian Erskine, Dave Swift, Matt Garrison etc.

edit: obviously the attachment is a crap mockup done by me on a saturday night - God, I miss gigging![/quote]

you wanna be careful with that mock up.. the things fender are bringing out now... i could be in production next week!

I think Singlecuts are cool, I'd have one for sure.....In fact I briefly spoke to Jon Shuker about a Singlecut jazz style bass a few months ago (albeit a bit more stylised than the mockup earlier in the thread). Don't think it will happen for a good while, but its a nice spec :)

Si

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1274336' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:10 PM']Cant people just accept that its a different shape that some people just dig?

The alone in a bedroom with a looper comment made me chuckle.. because thats exactly what i do.. with a Singlecut.. But why should a sit on my own thudding away on the E string when i do that in various bands almost every night of the week? Theres been so many anti soloing/slapping/singlecutsoloslapping vibes on here recently.. and now it seems we are no longer safe from judgement in our own bedrooms!

My honest answer is that my singlecut bass is very comfortable, very resonant, and very very stable in the old neck department. It plays like a dream on a strap or sat down. Jon Shuker has done a really good job with it. But then again, these are all qualities i have found in other basses (from p's to J's to Sei's blah blah) but right now, i'm digging the singlecut, so i'm going to defend it.. the same way i would defend a silly haircut that i thought was top.[/quote]
You could also ask why those who use single cuts just can't accept some people don't like them and wonder why they feel a need to defend them. Like 7 strings or Bongo's.

There is no place on earth you are safe from judgement, just as you judged me in your post. What you can do is be confident in your choice and then not have the need to defend it against other opinions.

The only single cut I've ever seen that looks gorgeous is the Fodera Beez Elite.

Every other singlecut I've seen looks awful. I think this style needs width and curves to look attractive, it just doesn't look right when luthiers try to keep the body width small.