Why become a member? ×

head to cab speakon cable

solo4652

Folks,

I'm new to this seperate head and cab lark - bear with me. I need a speakon-speakon cable to connect a head and cab. The head will sit on top of the cab, so a short run of, say, 1 metre. The head's rated at 450w (800w peak) and will drive a Compact. Do I need a cable of 1.25mm cross section or 2.5mm? How critical is it anyway?

Cheers,

Steve

Another vote for OBBM - he can be found at:

www.bassic-bits.co.uk

Mention you`re a Basschatter, and I think he knocks a pound off the price - he certainly used to - and considering how low his prices are, that is actually a good deal.

Amazing quality products, at ridiculously low prices.

I use 4mm[sup]2[/sup] for my amp > cab connection cables, especially with the amount of power most micro-heads chuck out these days.

I've never used OBBM cables, but they get a lot of support on here from happy customers, so give 'em a go. If you're a dab hand with a screwdriver and wire-strippers then you can make your own - I use Canford Audio for pukka Neutrik Speakons (beware cheap Chinese copies elsewhere) and their MCS2 HD cable (2 core, 4mm[sup]2[/sup]).

If you don't need a metre of cable between head and cab then make/buy one shorter, no need for extra length here. I personally go for 0.5m (call it foot-and-a-half in old money), since I can get that nicely in the gig-bag with the head.

HTH,
Ian

I have been using OBBM cables for a little while now and they are absolutely brilliant. The head to cab 4mm cables look like tow ropes. But...

...I recently bought a Barefaced Compact and a head to speaker cable from Alex. He sells cheaper, thinner ones because

[quote]We use lighter gauge cable because there's no sonic reason to use thicker on such short runs (though I admit really fat cables look cool!)[/quote]

If that is what Alex says then it is good enough for me. He seems to know what he is talking about :)

Another satisfied OBBM customer here - aside from all the audio qualities which I'm sure could be argued about until the caws come home, the things I like about his thick cable are that it coils nicely and doesn't get tangled up like thinner cables do, and the size makes it extremely robust. And he's a top man to deal with.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='1270303' date='Jun 15 2011, 04:25 PM']the things I like about his thick cable are that it coils nicely and doesn't get tangled up like thinner cables do, and the size makes it extremely robust.[/quote]

Coils? Coils! You mean you can actually [u]bend[/u] it??!! Clearly far too lightweight for a speaker cable then. :) :)

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1270360' date='Jun 15 2011, 05:37 PM']Coils? Coils! You mean you can actually [u]bend[/u] it??!! Clearly far too lightweight for a speaker cable then. :lol: :)[/quote]

:)

The 1m cable i have will coil to a certain extent but the 50cm one is actually quite awkward to pack away, i don't really know what to do with it!

Wouldn't swap it out for another brand though, there's something really confidence-inspiring about such a chunky heavy duty cable.