Why become a member? ×

Nasy ding on my Baby

JayPH

Guys. I can't believe I did this. Banged on the corner of a desk:

[url="http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee381/JPH10/Fender%20Bender/"]http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee381/...ender%20Bender/[/url]

How would you go about damage limitation? i don't want any more paint to chip off. It doesn't add character it displays the fact that I am a f***ing idiot who has not been able to look after this beautiful instrument properly.

A friend was telling me to colour it in with a brown felt tip pen on the wood that's showing and then apply laquer to it? I also read you could use clear naiul varnish. I don't want to make it worse.

f*** :)

These things happen, no matter how well you take care of a bass, if you actually use it and gig it, then chances are something will ding it eventually, and to be honest, that doesn't look that bad from the picture!

Don't beat yourself up over it.

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1267333' date='Jun 13 2011, 02:36 PM']These things happen, no matter how well you take care of a bass, if you actually use it and gig it, then chances are something will ding it eventually, and to be honest, that doesn't look that bad from the picture!

Don't beat yourself up over it.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='Wooks79' post='1267333' date='Jun 13 2011, 02:36 PM']These things happen, no matter how well you take care of a bass, if you actually use it and gig it, then chances are something will ding it eventually, and to be honest, that doesn't look that bad from the picture!

Don't beat yourself up over it.[/quote]

+1 - I've done far worse :)

Weights and Stingray :lol: wee chip at the bottom..

Though i've heard clear nail varnish stops the paint continuing to come off. Though i cannot say if that actually works!

Dont worrry about it :)

Cheers fellas. You've helped to cheer me up a bit. I'll be honest though, I would rather have scratched the car. I don't know about the nail varnish. Has anyone done this with a good result?

[quote name='paul_5' post='1267365' date='Jun 13 2011, 02:58 PM']ever thought about starting up a 'relic'ing business? I've got a belt sander you can have... :)[/quote]

Hrrrumph :)

There's very little chance of any more of it coming off unless its badly cracked around the area. The paint is pretty tough stuff and won't just start falling off.

Just get a black marker in on the bit that's down to the wood and a blind man running for a bus wouldn't notice it.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1267398' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:20 PM']There's very little chance of any more of it coming off unless its badly cracked around the area. The paint is pretty tough stuff and won't just start falling off.

Just get a black marker in on the bit that's down to the wood and a blind man running for a bus wouldn't notice it.[/quote]
Haha. I like that saying.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1267429' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:41 PM']Put some wet tissue on the hole, and touch it with a hot soldering iron, the water/steam pressure can pop the fibers back out, then fill whats left with superglue and polish down.[/quote]

could you use an iron? How would you polish it down?

Do you think T-Cut would work?

years ago there was a Yellow Pages advert, in which a French Polisher[size=1]*[/size] was called to deal with a nasty scratch on a table.

If you have a spare bit of cash it might be worth giving one a call?

[size=1]*[/size][size=1]this is not a euphemism![/size]

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1267522' date='Jun 13 2011, 04:44 PM']years ago there was a Yellow Pages advert, in which a French Polisher[size=1]*[/size] was called to deal with a nasty scratch on a table.

[size=1]*[/size][size=1]this is not a euphemism![/size][/quote]
I'm thinking you might be right.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1267533' date='Jun 13 2011, 04:53 PM']Iron might do it, needs to be properly boiling hot though. I'd polish it down with fine wet and dry, till it is level, then polish with t-cut, maybe toothpaste for the finest bit. If wood is showing, maybe felt tip it first.[/quote]

I'm not gonna try this. I am sh*te at DIY and I'll probably make a town halls of it. I'm going to just leave it until I can find someone competent enough to fix it.

I do appreciate your help though mate but it's a fair bit harder than I first thought it would be.

[quote name='JayPH' post='1267322' date='Jun 13 2011, 02:32 PM']Guys. I can't believe I did this. Banged on the corner of a desk:

[url="http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee381/JPH10/Fender%20Bender/"]http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee381/...ender%20Bender/[/url]

How would you go about damage limitation? i don't want any more paint to chip off. It doesn't add character it displays the fact that I am a f***ing idiot who has not been able to look after this beautiful instrument properly.

A friend was telling me to colour it in with a brown felt tip pen on the wood that's showing and then apply laquer to it? I also read you could use clear naiul varnish. I don't want to make it worse.

f*** :)[/quote]

In the antiques world this sort of mark would be called general "patina" or usual age related marks for an object that is meant to be used not looked at. Found on instruments and firearms etc. Dont worry too much.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1267429' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:41 PM']Put some wet tissue on the hole, and touch it with a hot soldering iron, the water/steam pressure can pop the fibers back out, then fill whats left with superglue and polish down.[/quote]

^ this,
I've done it once with a ding on the back of a neck. I was told to do it by a luthier who does the same thing. T-cut is far too abrasive (so JayDee told me) & has been seen to rub through a sunburst in inexperienced hands.
Tough call & I know how you feel, my beloved John Birch has one ding only on it; from me being careless when throwing a lead down & teh tip dinged it on teh top horn. Like you I'm too scared to risk trying a fix on a precious bass.

The first ding on a bass is the most painful, but give it a month and you might be able to live with it. Act in haste with any DIY and you could f*** it up completely, so be prepared for that.

I've used the damp cloth and iron technique on a natural finish Warwick, and that worked really well.

I have got over worse on a PRS flame top in orange.
If you have an antique restorer, take it to him and ask him to try steaming it out. If you don't want to, I would put a bit of superglue if there is any flakes that may move.
If you go into a good hardware shop or google hard wax sticks, you could get a black hard wax stick. Heat the end slightly over a candle and pinch a bit off. Mould it into the dent and leave it to harden off again. Then just buff off smooth with a duster. Job done for less than £4.
[url="http://www.jpennyltd.co.uk/shopping/pgm-more_information.php?id=51"]Wax sticks[/url]
It will make it 500 times better, but not 100%.

Thanks very much guys for chipping (no pun intended) in.

Some ingenious methods for fixing the ding but I'm not adept enough to try.

I'm going to go with the general consensus and let sleeping dogs lie. I mean, there will no doubt be somthing else for me to freak out and stress over in the next week or so. I'm just going to convince myself I'm cool with it and it gives the bass MoJo and improves the tone. f*** it.

Sorry for wasting your time, hope you understand

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='1267522' date='Jun 13 2011, 04:44 PM']years ago there was a Yellow Pages advert, in which a French Polisher[size=1]*[/size] was called to deal with a nasty scratch on a table.

[size=1]*[/size][size=1]this is not a euphemism![/size][/quote]

I knew a guy that was half French and half Polish - he was a French Polisher..

boom boom

I thank you

etc

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1268300' date='Jun 14 2011, 10:13 AM']I knew a guy that was half French and half Polish - he was a French Polisher..

boom boom

I thank you
etc[/quote]
Groan ... :)

I'm over it .... a bit. Bwahahah