Why become a member? ×

would it be wrong of me.......

blind pilot

I recently bought a tanglewood bass of the bay, for peanuts.

I played it, and liked it so have decided to mod it a little, will be painting it a nice super shiney glossy black, and sticking in a pukka copy of a stingray 2 band pre-amp, with a view to fitting a nice SD pup too.

Now would it be wrong of me to make up a nice waterslide decal of a pukka Musicman logo for the headstock, so it looks the part?

I must stress I am doing it for me, not to sell on as a pukka one to some poor bugger (like on recent posts here)

I would just like it to look the 'part'

Is that too vain of me?

[attachment=82280:09062011356.jpg]

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1264092' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:23 PM']I recently bought a tanglewood bass of the bay, for peanuts.

I played it, and liked it so have decided to mod it a little, will be painting it a nice super shiney glossy black, and sticking in a pukka copy of a stingray 2 band pre-amp, with a view to fitting a nice SD pup too.

Now would it be wrong of me to make up a nice waterslide decal of a pukka Musicman logo for the headstock, so it looks the part?

I must stress I am doing it for me, not to sell on as a pukka one to some poor bugger (like on recent posts here)

Is that too vain of me?

[attachment=82280:09062011356.jpg][/quote]

How about doing a "muppetman" logo instead? To save any later owners of said bass using it for nefarious purposes.
Looks convincing enough to the audience.

I've put fake logos on a couple of basses in the past, but never been totally happy about it. Maybe ok if you never take it out of the house, but if you gig with it and someone says "that's a nice ..." and wants to talk about it, then what? You either admit it isn't, which possibly makes them feel a bit stupid, or carry on the deception and hope they don't notice anything. That's just how I feel about it for me, I've got no problem with whatever you want to do.

Humerous spoof it is then......so come on you creative low enders, give me you best suggestions.......and for fun I will then start a poll and the winner goes on!

original wording should be musicman stingray..........over to you lot!

Edited by blind pilot

I always meant to have a 'Rickenfecker' truss rod cover made for my CMI Rick copy... Never got round to it though.
As for the bass in the OP, I would leave it blank, for mystery and intrigue. If you put a Musicman logo on it the only people who would notice it would most likely be the only ones who would recognise it as not being authentic.

Any chance of seeing some more pics of the bass? I'm intrigued now, a passive Stingray... :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1264146' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:00 PM']Any chance of seeing some more pics of the bass? I'm intrigued now, a passive Stingray... :)[/quote]
Is that another one of those "active-to-passive conversion" jobs? :)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1264146' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:00 PM']I always meant to have a 'Rickenfecker' truss rod cover made for my CMI Rick copy... Never got round to it though.
As for the bass in the OP, I would leave it blank, for mystery and intrigue. If you put a Musicman logo on it the only people who would notice it would most likely be the only ones who would recognise it as not being authentic.

Any chance of seeing some more pics of the bass? I'm intrigued now, a passive Stingray... :)[/quote]

see this thread for the original (very poor) pictures [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139785&st=0&p=1258570&#entry1258570"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...p;#entry1258570[/url]

[quote name='blind pilot' post='1264092' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:23 PM']I recently bought a tanglewood bass of the bay, for peanuts.

Is that too vain of me?

[attachment=82280:09062011356.jpg][/quote]

I personally would not do it.

There will always be some, wherever you show up with the bass, that can tell it's not the real thing... and you would look like a bit of a tit, quite frankly.

I have an OLP with a SD pickup (SMB4A, highly recommended) and a 3 band SD preamp that feels and sounds great. I would never replace its logo, and I'm actually proud to play it and sound great with a relatively cheap bass. It's true that I mostly play my (real) Stingray :) but I still use the OLP. Oh, and a Westfield Jazz with a John East preamp that sounds killer :)

Don't put that MM logo, please.

However... if you put a "lookalike" logo, such as those you find that say "Fecker Jizz Bass" or "Fender Imprecision" etc, with the proper font, you get the look... but it's not like you're trying to fool anyone. I'd do that, but not a real MM logo.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1264182' date='Jun 10 2011, 05:38 PM']"Musician Stung on eBay" would look quite good! :)[/quote]

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

My fretless OLP has a metallic blue headstock that I never liked, and now that I have a sander toyed with the idea of stripping all that off, and I was looking at recreating the OLP logo in black... but I really like what you came up with!!! If I find a suitable set of fonts or someone who has, I think I'll use that!!! :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' post='1264365' date='Jun 10 2011, 08:37 PM']LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

My fretless OLP has a metallic blue headstock that I never liked, and now that I have a sander toyed with the idea of stripping all that off, and I was looking at recreating the OLP logo in black... but I really like what you came up with!!! If I find a suitable set of fonts or someone who has, I think I'll use that!!! :)[/quote]

[b]M[/b]usic[b]i[/b]an [b]S[/b]tung on e[b]B[/b]ay

Would work with the EB font well IMO, Go for it Jose :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977