Why become a member? ×

what is this misterious hole for?

mcnach

I bought a used Jazz pickguard that had a mysterious hole in the middle, just above the neck pickup.
Odd, I thought.

Then I got a cheap body off ebay... which has the very same hole!

what is it for?

see pics below:

I have absolutely no clue. :-/
Could be from another model? I say this because (and forgive me if I'm wrong) I see a truss rod adjuster @ the headstock, yet the body also has a cutaway for one @ the heel under the scratch plate...So it seems these bodies are used for more than one model?

[size=1][b]errr... to secure cheap pickguards to cheap bodies, maybe?[/b][/size]

To the best of my knowledge, no original Fender Jazz body ever had that screw hole in that position. and its not those for the for the pickup covers, either because those were drilled by either side of the neck pickup.

Old vintage US and MIJ jazzers have this hole. US jazzes no longer have them, the MIJ jazzes still do. If you have a vintage reissue Jazz or MIJ it will have a wee screw in that hole.

If you ever need any more random useless info about Jazzers, I'm your man!

Edited by gjones

[quote name='mcnach' post='1255786' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:40 PM']I bought a used Jazz pickguard that had a mysterious hole in the middle, just above the neck pickup.
Odd, I thought.

Then I got a cheap body off ebay... which has the very same hole!

what is it for?
...[/quote]
Actually, when you bring the two holes into alignment it opens a gateway to an alternate dimension. Use it wisely my friend.

[quote name='ped' post='1255977' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:39 PM']Some bodies have a penny sized hole where the body is held during painting[/quote]
Yup. My MIA S1 Jazz has this. It's about the size of an old (circa 1900) penny. It'd be a bloody eyesore if it weren't under the pickguard.
What's wrong with screwing a cuphook into the hole for the upper horn strap-button and hanging the body from that during finishing/drying. This and ropey routing really spoil jazz basses, as you can't really play them without a pickguard or with a clear one.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1255989' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:49 PM']I don't think they're talking about that hole, I'm guessing it's about the small screw hole between that cut out and the pickup.[/quote]

Ah yes ,I see now.
At a guess it looks like a small screw hole doesn't it.
Wonder why they put that there,
Any ideas anyone,
Oh isn't that what this threads about.
Never mind I'll get me coat. :)

[quote name='gjones' post='1255861' date='Jun 3 2011, 07:40 PM']Old vintage US and MIJ jazzers have this hole. US jazzes no longer have them, the MIJ jazzes still do. If you have a vintage reissue Jazz or MIJ it will have a wee screw in that hole.

If you ever need any more random useless info about Jazzers, I'm your man![/quote]

Ha, Ha, as I said above, there's no mystery! The original Jazz Basses had this screw because Mr Fender obviously though it was needed to keep the scratchplate down. In the eighties they realised it was unnecessry and from then on the scratchplates had no screw in the middle. In Japan they continued to fit the screw in the middle of the scratchplate and if you buy a reissue US Jazz, for that authentic look, they have a screw in the middle of the scratchplate too.

Right! Now that that's settled, let's all go back to arguing whether Musicmans are better than Fenders (it's been a while).

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' post='1256083' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:50 PM']...because Mr Fender obviously though it was needed to keep the scratchplate down. In the eighties they realised it was unnecessry[/quote]
Not quite how it was. The pickguard material used in the 60s was prone to warping, so without the hole, the guard could lift in this area. The cheaper modern material they used in the 80s was more stable.

[quote name='gjones' post='1256083' date='Jun 3 2011, 11:50 PM']Ha, Ha, as I said above, there's no mystery! The original Jazz Basses had this screw because Mr Fender obviously though it was needed to keep the scratchplate down. In the eighties they realised it was unnecessry and from then on the scratchplates had no screw in the middle. In Japan they continued to fit the screw in the middle of the scratchplate and if you buy a reissue US Jazz, for that authentic look, they have a screw in the middle of the scratchplate too.

Right! Now that that's settled, let's all go back to arguing whether Musicmans are better than Fenders (it's been a while).[/quote]

Musicman hands down.....

I've seen this hole on 60's Japanese reissues, but then those come with the earth strip most of the time.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1256171' date='Jun 4 2011, 07:37 AM']I've seen this hole on 60's Japanese reissues, but then those come with the earth strip most of the time.[/quote]

yep - my mij 60's reissue has both the extra screw and the earth strip.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1256171' date='Jun 4 2011, 07:37 AM']Musicman hands down.....

I've seen this hole on 60's Japanese reissues, but then those come with the earth strip most of the time.[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1256249' date='Jun 4 2011, 10:14 AM']Without a shadow of a doubt.
Phew that was a good argument.[/quote]

And without any input from me! :)

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1255810' date='Jun 3 2011, 07:06 PM']
Standard for 60s & 70s Jazzes - its probably just to keep it flat as the old celluloid ones were prone to warp[/quote]

aaah! I never noticed that!
I was thinking of pickkup covers, thumbrests etc, but of course in that position nothing made sense!

INteresting that Jazz basses had that... but not Precision basses... at least I cannot find one with that, and I'd imagine the same issue would apply (keeping pickguard flat).
Strange.

[quote name='Kongo' post='1255802' date='Jun 3 2011, 06:56 PM']I have absolutely no clue. :-/
Could be from another model? I say this because (and forgive me if I'm wrong) I see a truss rod adjuster @ the headstock, yet the body also has a cutaway for one @ the heel under the scratch plate...So it seems these bodies are used for more than one model?[/quote]

oh yes... the neck is from a Sue Ryder P-bass that I had left over, and the body is something I just got on ebay from a "90s bass", it was suggested to me it may have been a Korean Squier, but they weren't sure. I'm not convinced, but it doesn't matter. It was solid wood, the right colour, and the right price... so I bought it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1255966' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:32 PM']Actually, when you bring the two holes into alignment it opens a gateway to an alternate dimension. Use it wisely my friend.[/quote]

:)

do you think it could be used like a "beam me up Scotty" sort of thing, for gigs that are not going well?