Why become a member? ×

GAS for a Precision (type)

Cygnus x-1

Hi, i'm looking for a Precision type 4 stringer BUT with a 1.5 in. nut width i.e. jazz width, my budget is £700 max, so the only contender I can find is the Fender deluxe active P. I would probably prefere passive given a choice.

So, does anyone have any opinions or experiance of this bass either good or bad, or can anybody think of any alteratives within my budget with P style body/ jazz width neck. I think Lakland may do one in their Skyline range, but I can't find one for sale or the price, any help appreciated, cheers.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='1255394' date='Jun 3 2011, 01:11 PM']Hi, i'm looking for a Precision type 4 stringer BUT with a 1.5 in. nut width i.e. jazz width, my budget is £700 max, so the only contender I can find is the Fender deluxe active P. I would probably prefere passive given a choice.

So, does anyone have any opinions or experiance of this bass either good or bad, or can anybody think of any alteratives within my budget with P style body/ jazz width neck. I think Lakland may do one in their Skyline range, but I can't find one for sale or the price, any help appreciated, cheers.[/quote]

The G&L Tribute SB-2 has a Jazz width nut. Passive PJ.

• 1 month later...

Why not buy yourself a good second-hand Fender American Standard precision like this one for £700.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110714101981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Sell the neck on for a around £150/200, buy yourself a Mighty Mite Jazz neck for around £80/100, and away you go!
Although it would probably be better to keep the neck safely tucked away, in case you decide to sell the bass in the future,
as it will be worth more with the original neck.

Or you could consider putting one together like this, which I have just completed.
Like you, I wanted a P with a J neck, but could not find anything I really liked.

[i][b]Precision Bass with Jazz Neck[/b][/i]
Squier VM Body £40
Mighty Mite Jazz Neck with maple board £75
Wilkinson Tuners £24
Gotoh 201 Bridge £35
Wizard Thumper Pickup £50
Tortoiseshell pickguard £15
[b]Total £239[/b]

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1304302' date='Jul 15 2011, 07:04 AM']Why not buy yourself a good second-hand Fender American Standard precision like this one for £700.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110714101981&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url]

Sell the neck on for a around £150/200, buy yourself a Mighty Mite Jazz neck for around £80/100, and away you go!
Although it would probably be better to keep the neck safely tucked away, in case you decide to sell the bass in the future,
as it will be worth more with the original neck.

Or you could consider putting one together like this, which I have just completed.
Like you, I wanted a P with a J neck, but could not find anything I really liked.

[i][b]Precision Bass with Jazz Neck[/b][/i]
Squier VM Body £40
Mighty Mite Jazz Neck with maple board £75
Wilkinson Tuners £24
Gotoh 201 Bridge £35
Wizard Thumper Pickup £50
Tortoiseshell pickguard £15
[b]Total £239[/b][/quote]

That is absolutely stunning, and I don't usually like the 'ashtrays', but that is just lovely. Top work.
If you don't mind me being so rude, where did you source the parts?

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1255440' date='Jun 3 2011, 01:45 PM']probably nowhere near it but my G&L L2000 had a Jazz width neck

It does give me an excuse to post pics of it though cos I don;t know if I ever did when I had it[/quote]

that is a lovely lovely bass...

[quote name='Marvin' post='1304352' date='Jul 15 2011, 08:58 AM']That is absolutely stunning, and I don't usually like the 'ashtrays', but that is just lovely. Top work.
If you don't mind me being so rude, where did you source the parts?[/quote]
I bought a squier VM on ebay for £125 and sold on the the neck and loaded scratchplate for £85,
which meant the body which was in perfect condition cost me £40.

Squier VM Body £40 (ebay)
Mighty Mite Jazz Neck with maple board £75 (ebay)
Wilkinson Tuners £24 (ebay)
Gotoh 201 Bridge £35 (ebay)
Wizard Thumper Pickup £50 (Wizard Pickups)
Tortoiseshell pickguard £15 (Thomann)
[b]Total £239[/b]

Two spring to mind that haven't been mentioned and come well inside budget, leaving enough to hot up the pups/fir high mass bridge etc.

Fender Jazz Bass Special or Power Jazz Bass Special - 38mm necks, precision bodies, PJ pups. My Power Jazz Bass Special had been fitted with Seymour Duncans at some stage, now sporting a Gotoh bridge and Hipshot detuner and is a superlative instrument.

Fender Precision Lyte, although the body is smaller (like a strat) is is P-Bass shaped. Stock pups and bridge are actually fine.

You might be thinking of the Lakland Duck Dunn. Effectively a P bass, but with a Jazz neck on it. Lovely basses.

Some pics (not mine) on [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=107850"]this old sale thread.[/url]

Mark.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='1255394' date='Jun 3 2011, 01:11 PM']Fender deluxe active P.
So, does anyone have any opinions or experiance of this bass either good or bad[/quote]

I don't think anyone's come back to you on this one, so......

I've had one from new for 6 years.
A great bass, very versatile. Wonderful balance and ergononmics, I can have it round my shoulders for hours without any discomfort.
But, if it's a P-bass sound you're looking for you'll be paying a lot for options you'll not need.
Also, to me, it only gives an approximation of a genuine P sound and I've played it through many amp/cabinet/PA combinations.
In my personal opinion, to get a proper P bass sound you need a proper P bass neck (or one with similar dimensions).

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1255473' date='Jun 3 2011, 02:20 PM']There is a great Aerodyne Jazz Bass - P/J pickup config - for sale on here at present. Nice slim neck, lightweight bass, but certainly not lightweight in the sound. May be worth a look.[/quote]

These are great basses, if i had the cash i'd go for of these, lovely neck on them, P and J pick-ups, cant go wrong, the look so sleak too

[quote name='thebrig' post='1305492' date='Jul 16 2011, 09:28 AM']I bought a squier VM on ebay for £125 and sold on the the neck and loaded scratchplate for £85,
which meant the body which was in perfect condition cost me £40.

Squier VM Body £40 (ebay)
Mighty Mite Jazz Neck with maple board £75 (ebay)
Wilkinson Tuners £24 (ebay)
Gotoh 201 Bridge £35 (ebay)
Wizard Thumper Pickup £50 (Wizard Pickups)
Tortoiseshell pickguard £15 (Thomann)
[b]Total £239[/b][/quote]

Cheers for the info.

[quote name='Marvin' post='1306120' date='Jul 16 2011, 07:48 PM']Cheers for the info.[/quote]

I have had a natural wood P Bass with a Jazz neck since around 1980 - I bought it second hand in Wapping Bass Centre all those years ago. I know nothing of it's provenance and I am certain it is not a real Fender, but a handbuilt guitar. I have to say that of all the basses i have owned, this has been the greatest servant; the action, the set up and the power is brilliant. I must do some pix and post them on here. It must date from the seventies.. though i gave it a real overhaul last year with new bridge nut / scratchplate etc and its in great nick

I mention this, as I am going to sell it on for a mere £300 o.n.o. as I am getting on a bit and it is too heavy for my weak shoulders. I invested in an Aerodyne instead and now I can jump around a bit again..

P

There's a yammy BB in that price range? I know it's a p/j and not an exact p shape but they're great basses. If you want an off the shelf solution I'd go for a Lakland skyline Duck Dunn, that has a jazz neck and a great P tone. Plus you wouldn't have to mod it at all unless you wanted to.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1255440' date='Jun 3 2011, 01:45 PM']probably nowhere near it but my G&L L2000 had a Jazz width neck

It does give me an excuse to post pics of it though cos I don;t know if I ever did when I had it[/quote]

Crikey, Delber - that was/is stunning!

Why did you let that one go?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed this post, I have a Lakland Duck Dunn that has had a pre amp added via Chandler Guitars, its easily better that my previous American P's. The neck is perfect if you prefer a thinner Jazz neck.

They seem to be a bit scarce these day's.