Why become a member? ×

RH450 or Orange Terror Bass?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1250308' date='May 30 2011, 02:16 PM']I really can't decide I have £450 to spend and I know I could get either for that.

The Orange looks cooler but is the RH450 the better amp?[/quote]

Dunno about the RH450 but the OTB is excellent. The tone is lovely, its bloomin tiny yet powerful, I seldom get above 3 in volume. The line out runs a bit hot though so I have to reduce the DB on the the PA which compensates. Otherwise cant fault it. If you're ever in Leeds pop in and have a play. I realise its a long way mind! Ha :)
Andy

Having had a Terror, and a TC Classic 450, I`d say that the TC can do all that the Terror can, but a whole lot more as well. Am assuming that the RH has the same eq & power as the Classic, just with the on-board tuner & pre-sets as well.

So depends on how much versatility you want.

Thats true of the OTB, it is a bit of a one trick pony but I like that. It delivers a consistant sound with little room to change if it's not to your taste but in a way that's what youre paying for I guess?
As Lozz says, its whichever you value most and whether the extra features are high priority for you.

TC 450 all the way, I have tried the Orange and if you don't want the versatility then its good

BUT the TC Classic 450 (which I use) and the added features of the RH450 are brilliant
The compressor is excellent and the tubetone is superb

I yearn for a RH450 and it extra features as I play in a covers band and could do with the
pre-sets but the Classic is doing a fine job !

Ade

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1251316' date='May 31 2011, 12:15 PM']Both great but with the rh450 you get alot more do the monies. For example phones out for silent practice and the DI isn't going to be too hot like OTB's.[/quote]

I don't do silent practice and I have the SVT for gigs that are big enough to be DI'd but good points.

[quote name='yorick' post='1251340' date='May 31 2011, 12:30 PM']If you're in or near Brum before you get the OTB and OBC115 and want to hear what they sound like together, give me a shout. Happy to demo mine.[/quote]

Cheers buddy, might take you up on that.

Am I right in think someone had an orange case made for theirs on here?

I tried both recently, intending to buy the Orange. I wanted access to that overdriven valve sound and thought the Orange would do it better (and it was cheaper) but, for my ears, found the simulated tube drive on the TC stuff was better and the whole amp more flexible (ended up getting the Classic 450) - but it is all so subjective that you'd really do best to go have a listen to both somewhere.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1250308' date='May 30 2011, 02:16 PM']I really can't decide I have £450 to spend and I know I could get either for that.

How would the Tube Tone on the TC compare to the overdrive channel on the SVT5?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1251360' date='May 31 2011, 12:46 PM']Cheers buddy, might take you up on that.

Am I right in think someone had an orange case made for theirs on here?[/quote]

I've had one made for the SP212. Just keep the OTB head in it's handbag. Very fetching too I might add :)

Silverstone Amp Covers.........don't ask......still in dispute........looks lovely though

It's funny, I don't like the 'valve' sound the TC trys to emulate or the clean, it's too digital for my liking. I've never got on with them and have tried many times I'd rather either Markbass (clean) or The orange (warm without the back problems), which I have.

The TC to me is too fiddley.. also I've changed the Tubes on the terror to less firey ones.. and it's still great.. I do think if you have a good bass and a good amp. After doing lots and lots of gigs/sessions, i've come to realise ... You only need one dial... :) [size=6]volume[/size]

Agreed! After re-valving, my TB gives a sound I simply don't want to change.

A guitarist friend whose ears I trust (full-time pro since the ’60s) came up after Sunday's gig and waxed lyrical about about my just-finalised Terror/Midget combination.

"It's just so… so…" he said, waving his hands about and making vague shapes in the air, "… well, it's just so [i]round[/i]."

Result :)

To say that I bought my TB as a bit of an impulse purchase when they first came out and stuck it in a cupboard, it's just rather impressed me. Through sheer laziness I ended up borrowing a guy's AD-200B rig at a gig the other night, and I couldn't help but notice the breadth of sound that was rolling off it, so when I found out we'd be a guitarist down at rehearsal this afternoon, I dug out the TB and took it along to try. To my surprise it behaved just the same and filled the whole sound out to the point where you hardly noticed the missing rhythm guitar; even the bloke in the office said that it sounded like an old-school all-tube head from the way it was shaking stuff outside. The cab's nothing special either, just an Ashdown ABM410T with the stock blueline speakers in it. Looks like it's a keeper after all...

Can you get the RH450 for £450, that's a great deal!

The Orange sounds good, the little I heard one. I have owned an RH450 for 2 years now and I love it, great amp. Very easy to get good sounds out of it, and very powerful. I'd take the RH450.