Why become a member? ×

The Things They Say To Annoy Us.

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1249349' date='May 29 2011, 04:15 PM']After you've played a few notes, the sound engineer says: 'OK, that'll do.'[/quote]

That's the kind of sound engineer I like. It means he's comfortable that he's got a signal and will sort out what it sounds like when the rest of the band are playing. Nothing worse than playing solo for 10minutes while he works out which buttons to press and knobs to turn.

[quote name='TimR' post='1249355' date='May 29 2011, 04:18 PM']That's the kind of sound engineer I like. It means he's comfortable that he's got a signal and will sort out what it sounds like when the rest of the band are playing. Nothing worse than playing solo for 10minutes while he works out which buttons to press and knobs to turn.[/quote]

Fair point.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1249352' date='May 29 2011, 04:17 PM']"Is anyone sitting there?" "No that big f***ing massive black box behind those seats that looks like a big massive f*** off speaker [i]is[/i] a big massive f*** off speaker thats why no one is sitting there" Is what your thinking, In reality "No help yourself aunt Freeda" :)[/quote]

Is that the same Aunt Freeda who keeps complaining that it's too loud?

[quote name='TimR' post='1249355' date='May 29 2011, 04:18 PM']That's the kind of sound engineer I like. It means he's comfortable that he's got a signal and will sort out what it sounds like when the rest of the band are playing. Nothing worse than playing solo for 10minutes while he works out which buttons to press and knobs to turn.[/quote]

+1 - I'd always line check bass in isolation and as long as there were no major problems, get the rest sorted in a full band mix. You just can't do it sensibly in isolation unless you know the band's sound in advance, really well.

[quote name='TimR' post='1249363' date='May 29 2011, 04:25 PM']Is that the same Aunt Freeda who keeps complaining that it's too loud?[/quote]
Yep thats her, She gets to most function gigs that I have been to, Handbag on the table incase any of her own relatives steal it. I think maybe she works for the local authority trying to keep the volume down at venues around the country but she normally leaves about 11 at the latest just before her drunk Nephew in his 50's gets his cock out on the dance floor! Ah gigs.........

This one was told to me by our soundman.
Old guy (in tweed sportsjacket) goes up to the sound desk.
'Can you turn it down a bit please? I suffer from tinnitus'
Soundman puts on a sympathetic face, points to the band and says
'yeah, so do they'.

[quote name='amnesia' post='1249386' date='May 29 2011, 04:48 PM']Said to me by another bass player...

"You dropped a few bum notes there"

My reply - "Yes, I did - but everybody had a good time so it doesn't matter".

I only take critisism from people I respect - and this guy isn't on that list.[/quote]

Don't you just love playing to other musicians!!

Had the same thing recently,
Other bass player "Do you know you played the wrong note in the middle of that last song?"
Me: "Yea but i don't the think the crowd of people dancing noticed so i think i'll sleep ok tonight"!
Tosser!! :)

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1249401' date='May 29 2011, 05:07 PM']Don't you just love playing to other musicians!!

Had the same thing recently,
Other bass player "Do you know you played the wrong note in the middle of that last song?"
Me: "Yea but i don't the think the crowd of people dancing noticed so i think i'll sleep ok tonight"!
Tosser!! :)[/quote]

or "The bass line to xxx doesn't go like that."

"It did tonight." or "It does when I play it."

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' post='1249405' date='May 29 2011, 05:10 PM']or "The bass line to xxx doesn't go like that."

"It did tonight." or "It does when I play it."[/quote]

:)

'I play in band'

Yeah, so why aren't you playing tonight then?

Guy from another band (he is actually a friend) comes up to me after the gig '[i]The vocals weren't loud enough out front[/i]'
so I ask him if it was like that all the way through the set?
'[i]Yes[/i]'.
So you told the sound engineer then?
[i]...blank expression...[/i]
Yeah - thanks for your input. Very helpful.
:)

Venue "Can you turn it down tonight lads we have a noise sensor fitted, some of the neighbours have complained"

Me "why the fuc* we hav'nt even plugged in yet"

"you do realise were a metal band"

I think they get scared when they see the marshall stacks being wheeled in.

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1249409' date='May 29 2011, 05:12 PM']:)

'I play in band'

Yeah, so why aren't you playing tonight then?[/quote]

"They couldn't afford us." Walks away smugly. :)

Edited by TimR

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1249372' date='May 29 2011, 04:30 PM']Yep thats her, She gets to most function gigs that I have been to, Handbag on the table incase any of her own relatives steal it. I think maybe she works for the local authority trying to keep the volume down at venues around the country but she normally leaves about 11 at the latest just before her drunk Nephew in his 50's gets his cock out on the dance floor! Ah gigs.........[/quote]

A vocalist mate used to get that in the workingmen's clubs. Once, one woman at the front, right by the PA speaker, said: 'It's too loud!' My mate replied: 'It's like shoving your head up a cow's arse and saying it stinks!'

Before the gig, during the interval or after the gig (and packing away) - "That's a nice bass. I play a bit of guitar and/or bass... can I have a quick go?"

*sigh* :)

Edited by skej21

This is absolutely true, goes back to the bad days when I was in a band of drunks doing workie clubs & parties.

While we are setting up in an almost empty room a woman runs up to the stage “You too loud , much too loud”

Me…” Sorry luv, I cant hear you through these noisy B stards”

So she says the same to the singer, who is still p ssing himself laughing.

“ Your drunk” she says ( asking for it I.m.o )

“ Yeah ! Your ugly, but I’ll be sober in the morning”

Then as she storms off... "I spose a blow job is out of the question"

[quote name='Doddy' post='1249290' date='May 29 2011, 03:29 PM']"I'm/my mate/significant other/brother, is/used to be in a band............"[/quote]

and/or 'I used to have long hair...'

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1249370' date='May 29 2011, 04:29 PM']"can you turn it down",us "ok,no problem" (pretend to turn P.A down) Us "is that ok ?"."Yes thats much better,thanks".[/quote]

Ah, the DFA knob :)