Why become a member? ×

Status Question

Machines

There's plenty of Status owners here so maybe someone can help me ! Am in a position potentially to acquire a Status S2 Classic (headed, 5 string), I know what they sound like to a degree (seen enough Mark King impressions to last a life time) but how versatile are they ?

I would want to be able to roll off the zingy top end if possible and get other sounds out of it too, what is the neck pickup like soloed for example ?. Any links to videos or soundclips (I couldn't any that weren't slapping) are appreciated ! Also, with the bridge pickup so close to the bridge doesn't it sound a bit thin ?

Thanks chaps.

I am a convert to status for a number of years now....

You can have a listen to various clips of my basses here, most are of a All Graphite Kingbass 5 string 32" scale and a few are with an S2 Classic 5 string bolt on.

[url="http://www.hotsaucedisco.com/www.hotsaucedisco.com/Music.html"]Hot Sauce Disco[/url]
[url="http://www.myspace.com/search/music?q=adorno%20stone&ac=t"]Adorno Stone (Americana rock/pop)[/url]
[url="http://www.myspace.com/5catfish0"]5CATFish (function band)[/url]

Plenty of sounds on offer. I've a Streamline, and it can do the lot. Especially good with 90% Neck and 10% bridge, plucking up by the base of the fretboard- sounds like a fretted upright!
On a more general note, I've never found that basses with a pick-up close to the bridge to sound thin, particularly if it's a Humbucker. I just run them a bit closer to the strings so that the output equals that of the neck when the pan pot is centred.
(Observation based on a Streamline, Warwick Infinity SN4 and Series 3 Vigier Passion 5.)

[quote name='Machines' post='1248733' date='May 28 2011, 10:34 PM']Thanks for the links guys, they do sound pretty good. What is the neck pickup like alone, can it do fat ? So far all of the tones i've heard so far are very clear bridge/finger tones I think.[/quote]

Typical neck pickup when solo sound, not very good!

They will always sound like a Status bass, but it's a sound that is at home anywhere if you'll let it be. I used to love really bright bass sounds, and my Stealth could be so bright it was too much, very harsh and zingy. It was a great bass, though I've since learned that the midrange is truly the be all and end all!

The bridge pickup alone should sound fairly decent, certainly useable even if it's not going to be one of the legendary solo bridge pickup sounds.

Well, it certainly works for me. My Series II has been my main (and sometimes only) bass for 25 years and rarely do I find that it lacks any particular sounds.... although it would have been nice if the EQ had three bands instead of two!

As Chris says, the mid-range from the bass itself can be slightly lacking - but the output is so hot and low-noise that it is easy to add more mid from your amp if so desired.

To my ears it can do P bass on the neck pup soloed, a reasonable Jaco tone on the bridge pup soloed, and a range of sounds by blending the aforementioned!

They are not as "hi-fi" as they are rumoured to be. They can growl and shout with the best of 'em! Endless sustain, clear harmonics, incredible stable tuning...

Add to that (at least on the series II) that you can bypass the active circuitry for a whole different range of tones...

Just get one.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' post='1248771' date='May 28 2011, 11:24 PM']To my ears it can do P bass on the neck pup soloed, a reasonable Jaco tone on the bridge pup soloed, and a range of sounds by blending the aforementioned![/quote]

Hmmm.

My Status Vintage P/J ( [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2i9e0/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2i9e0/3[/url] ) is an excellent P-bass and does a great jazz-on-the-bridge-pickup sound. But that's exactly what it was designed to do.

My Status Streamline ( [url="http://tinypic.com/a/2m78j/3"]http://tinypic.com/a/2m78j/3[/url] ) was ordered with the intention of duplicating those sounds by using the same electronics - or at least as close as Rob Green could make it. In practice it sounds quite different. It's a great bass and I'm not complaining, but it ain't no P-bass.

:)

My theory is the older Status basses without a truss rod had a more aggressive "Status" sound that's more in your face and a bit harder to hide, although there are plenty of people here who prefer that.

I think the newer ones with a truss rod have a somewhat more traditional sound, I think they're even more versatile particularly with the 301 / 302 / 303 series preamps which have a small switch that give you a smiley face EQ base setting (scooped), a sad face EQ base setting (mid boost) or a flat EQ setting. Plus even with the the 3 preset shapes you can always adjust bass, treble and where the mid cut / boost frequency is centred. Seems a little complicated at first but it's really useful.

I find the bridge pickup soloed needs a little bass boost but can sound very Jaco
Neck pickup soloed sounds good, with mid boost starts to get interesting as you sweep the mid boost frequency
Both pickups together in varying amounts (with the blend pot) is where it's at, there's a huge variety of tones available.

But as Conan said, astonishing amounts of sustain, all kinds of harmonics anywhere you want, never goes out of tune, stable slim neck where every note is alive, they record really well and engineers love them.

Edited by Fat Rich

I've noticed Mr. Wolstenholme of Muse has acquired quite a few of his own Status' lately... and he's hardly a slap bassist! If he's touring them, they certainly can't be lacking finger-style :)

Might be worth checking out a couple of 2010/11 Muse live shows, like the Seattle one they did a while back. Although half the time he'll be going through some fuzz/synth pedal :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1249832' date='May 30 2011, 12:48 AM']I've noticed Mr. Wolstenholme of Muse has acquired quite a few of his own Status' lately... and he's hardly a slap bassist! If he's touring them, they certainly can't be lacking finger-style :)

Might be worth checking out a couple of 2010/11 Muse live shows, like the Seattle one they did a while back. Although half the time he'll be going through some fuzz/synth pedal :)[/quote]

As you say he has so many effects it's difficult to tell what they sound like... I haven't been particularly impressed so far but maybe he's still getting used to them. He's been recording with an old S2 for years but never played it live because he didn't like the look of headless basses, his 4 new ones are all headed.

They're working on prototypes for a signature S2 Classic at the moment, should be ready fairly soon.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' post='1249832' date='May 30 2011, 12:48 AM']Might be worth checking out a couple of 2010/11 Muse live shows, like the Seattle one they did a while back. Although half the time he'll be going through some fuzz/synth pedal :)[/quote]

He might as well be playing a Squier P bass given the amount of effects he uses! :)

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1250066' date='May 30 2011, 11:19 AM']As you say he has so many effects it's difficult to tell what they sound like... I haven't been particularly impressed so far but maybe he's still getting used to them. He's been recording with an old S2 for years but never played it live because he didn't like the look of headless basses, his 4 new ones are all headed.

They're working on prototypes for a signature S2 Classic at the moment, should be ready fairly soon.[/quote]

Yeah I've been a bit disappointed recently, but I don't think it's just down to the Status'. What with Bellamy achieving something of a 'guitar-hero' status recently, I think their sound guys seem to be emphasizing Matt a bit too much imo. Went to see them at Wembley last year - Chris went into Hysteria on the Kingbass (I think, he changed bass practically every song) and it sounded ace, but they had him turned down so low in the mix, when the guitar/drums came in he was pretty much drowned out, which kind of defeats the point of the entire song, being one of the most famous for bass in the rock genre. :)

[quote name='Machines' post='1248524' date='May 28 2011, 06:42 PM']There's plenty of Status owners here so maybe someone can help me ! Am in a position potentially to acquire a Status S2 Classic (headed, 5 string), I know what they sound like to a degree (seen enough Mark King impressions to last a life time) but how versatile are they ?

I would want to be able to roll off the zingy top end if possible and get other sounds out of it too, what is the neck pickup like soloed for example ?. Any links to videos or soundclips (I couldn't any that weren't slapping) are appreciated ! Also, with the bridge pickup so close to the bridge doesn't it sound a bit thin ?

Thanks chaps.[/quote]

Had the privalage of owning a (headed 5 string) Series 2 a few years and it was fantastic, there was no sound I couldn't get with it, the 3 band eq was great and there is the "bright switch" to add to the pallet of sounds. It sounded huge - the one bass I deeply regret selling :)

I love the idea of Status and think they have really nice necks (well, apart from the very early ones) but ergonomically I don't get on with them at all. The body contouring (mainly that forearm contour) absolutely crucifies me. Doesn't matter whether I play fingerstyle or pick either, although fingerstyle is worse. I've also never managed to get the sounds to work for me, but I'm pretty sure that's down to the way I play. When I've play them with a pick (fingerstyle being a complete no-go for reasons already stated) no matter how I eq or what I play them through they always seem to sound synthetic, and that's everything from the graphite-necked Energys to the modern stuff.

I did once have some success with my mate's Status through a Mesa Walkabout though; I suspect the parametric mids on the amp had something to do with that. Wish I got on with them better to be honest as they would have saved me loads of bother over the years; rock solid, good value, etc etc. Having said that of the 4 I've owned (all bought used) one had a warped neck and 3 had electronics issues, but you could have those sort of problems with pretty much any used bass. It was the ergonomics that finished me off in the end.

Ok have recorded 2 sound samples, one with my Overwater and one with the Status ! The differences between the 2 are quite pronounced:

Recordings are in the following format: Both pickups, neck pickup, bridge pickup, all EQ is flat and recorded direct into Audacity via my PC linein port so there is a bit of hiss which is not from the basses.

Your opinions please ! (of the tone, not my playing :))

[attachment=81796:Overwater.mp3]
[attachment=81797:Status.mp3]

Very similar sounds to my Peavey Grind actually (Passive!) The Status sounds like the bass with the stock pickups, and the Overwater sounds like the SD's I had put in.

One way I get a really nice warm but toneful sound (without too much of that high end zinginess) is to have the nck pickup with the tone completely off, and the bridge pickup with the tone completely on, and just adjust the volume levels to suit. I understand most basses don't come with a tone pot for each pickup unfortunately but I highly recommend it as you get so much diversity

Halfway through typing this next bit I realised most of what I've said so far is likely to be totally irrelevant, but I hope it might still be useful/interesting...

I MUCH prefer using both pickups together, just sounds 'bigger' to me. I also like to chuck it through a maxed out Aguilar TLC, sansamp (and varying other dirt pedals on top), markbass F1, and a nice warm sounding cab. You might say I'm bastardising a tone some people would kill to have, but it really works! And I don't sound like anyone else :)

I'm really trying to compare the 2 instruments to decide which one to keep - the Status has a fantastic tone but do I want that as my only sound ? The Overwater is obviously more subtle but probably more suited to more music.