Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

5 Strings

deanbean502

[quote name='deanbean502' post='1240400' date='May 22 2011, 03:31 PM']I do like to drop tune and this can sometimes be an inconvenience so i am thinking a five stringer is the way to go[/quote]
As has been said, find a cheap one first and get used to five strings. Don't just buy the first cheap 5 you find though, get one that you find as comfortable to play as your current 4-string. That probably means a fairly slender neck, ie. a Peavey BXP, Ibanez, something like that, and NOT a Squier V.

Personally, I dipped into and out of 5-strings for years until I found something that approached the playability of my 4-strings, and now I'm (mainly) converted.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='1241324' date='May 23 2011, 11:07 AM']I'd say buy the best quality 5 you can afford!!

Dont worry too much about scale length though!

My 34 inch scale Sadowsky B string sounds better than my old 35 inch Lakland by quite a way in my opinion!

Try as many as you can! :)[/quote]

Plus one.

Against the grain, but get the best. Test them before to make sure you like the spacings, then JUMP in....dont mess about. Cheap 5 string basses normally sound awful and put you off for life, (been there, done that 15 years ago). Ok, not life, but I always thought Bs would be flat and lifeless, and boring. Now, im happy.

I found Lakland/EBMM brought me over to 5 strings, but the 34" scale and build/tone on the EBMMs definitely swung it.

Best all rounder? Ray 5...no doubt.

Edited by Musicman20

I was just wondering ... is a 5 string the answer to the inconvenience of drop tuning? If you have a standard tuned 5 you may lose the ability to play open strings (esp if you tune down one semitone) which would affect playability of many riffs enormously.

One alternative could be to get a second 4, and keep one in standard while the other is detuned.

Another approach could be to use detuners like hipshot ones on the strings you detune, so it's easy to switch from one tuning to the other, although you might get intonation issues this way.

Neither of these need one of those 5 string things at all!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1241552' date='May 23 2011, 12:25 PM']My experience is that a 35" neck is more difficult if you don't have a good technique. You shouldn't be stretching for the notes; you should be positioning your hand and fingers so that you easily reach the notes. DB players and their 42" scale don't stretch like that!

Some people think that 34" is OK and others think that 35" is better, let your ears judge, but longer bass strings do make a better note. That's why pianos and harps have the string lengths they do. I'm not getting into an argument as to whether that makes a difference in rock and roll or not. Just don't let 35" scare you.

The difference between 34" and 35" at the 5th fret is 13.29mm or approx 1/2". Is that really worth worrying about?[/quote]

I only have one issue when changing from 34 inch Fender Jazz to a 35 inch Yamaha TRB5 and it's not the length of the fretboard/fret spacings, it's the width of the fretboard from B to G. It requires me to pay attention with my right-hand technique. The difference in string spacing is only a mm but it's enough imo.

[quote name='aldude' post='1241832' date='May 23 2011, 04:30 PM']I was just wondering ... is a 5 string the answer to the inconvenience of drop tuning? If you have a standard tuned 5 you may lose the ability to play open strings (esp if you tune down one semitone) which would affect playability of many riffs enormously.

One alternative could be to get a second 4, and keep one in standard while the other is detuned.

Another approach could be to use detuners like hipshot ones on the strings you detune, so it's easy to switch from one tuning to the other, although you might get intonation issues this way.

Neither of these need one of those 5 string things at all![/quote]

That my friend is a very good point , I never thought of it like that

food for thought i think

[quote name='aldude' post='1241832' date='May 23 2011, 04:30 PM']I was just wondering ... is a 5 string the answer to the inconvenience of drop tuning? If you have a standard tuned 5 you may lose the ability to play open strings (esp if you tune down one semitone) which would affect playability of many riffs enormously.

Neither of these need one of those 5 string things at all![/quote]

That's not really how it works though because the whole instrument works in harmony so you just play the riff in a new position that is less of a stretch, You don't need to go all the way down the neck to grab a 2nd octave Eb for example because you can play it in position from the standard tuning that just dropping the E string won't allow and tuning BEAD is ok unless you want the 1st, 2nd and 3rd octave in one riff.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1242212' date='May 23 2011, 08:52 PM']That's not really how it works though because the whole instrument works in harmony so you just play the riff in a new position that is less of a stretch, You don't need to go all the way down the neck to grab a 2nd octave Eb for example because you can play it in position from the standard tuning that just dropping the E string won't allow and tuning BEAD is ok unless you want the 1st, 2nd and 3rd octave in one riff.[/quote]

You try playing Hysteria at fret 4 on the B string* !!!

I'm sure there are people who can, just as I am sure that I can't :)

[size=1]*assuming your band is detuned by 1/2 step and you have a standard tuned 5...[/size]

[quote name='aldude' post='1242676' date='May 24 2011, 10:14 AM']....You try playing Hysteria at fret 4 on the B string!!! I'm sure there are people who can, just as I am sure that I can't....[/quote]
You can do it. You just need a little more practice.

[quote name='aldude' post='1242676' date='May 24 2011, 10:14 AM']You try playing Hysteria at fret 4 on the B string* !!!

I'm sure there are people who can, just as I am sure that I can't :)

[size=1]*assuming your band is detuned by 1/2 step and you have a standard tuned 5...[/size][/quote]
You don't have to it still has all the same strings you had before, Playing in Eb including the first octave on a standard tuned four isn't hard like hysteria it's impossible!

I've never gigged without a low B, I was a bedroom player for a year on a 4 before buying a 6 string when I joined my first band, I've since moved to 5 strings as I found I wasn't using the C enough to justify it getting in the way for riffs. I understand if you have small hands or hand problems that 5ers could be a problem as the neck profile is a little different but if you find a 5 comfy, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't play one.

I play in two bands, one's straight rock stuff and the guitarist regularly drop Ds and does some low riffs, I can go down to the low notes without detuning. My other band I could use a 4 quite happily, but it's nice to have the extra notes there just in case. We often play songs in D and it's nice to drop to the low D for that last big note of a song, especially if the riff goes lower than the root.

I have literally today just received my first 5er.

It's a G&L 2500T, identical finish and fretboard as my L2000T that I picked up off here.

So far its not as tricky as i thought - mainly it's the reduced string spacing on the right hand that's causing difficulty, but I'm reasonably confident that won't take too long to overcome.

I'm going to give it a try at rehearsal tomorrow night - really looking forward to it!

[quote name='Jakester' post='1243388' date='May 24 2011, 08:22 PM']I have literally today just received my first 5er.

It's a G&L 2500T, identical finish and fretboard as my L2000T that I picked up off here.

So far its not as tricky as i thought - mainly it's the reduced string spacing on the right hand that's causing difficulty, but I'm reasonably confident that won't take too long to overcome.

I'm going to give it a try at rehearsal tomorrow night - really looking forward to it![/quote]

Nice bass and just stick with it and play nothing but the five for a good while even in fact especially at the gigs you feel you should play it safe and take a 4. I gigged mine on the first night in December and haven't looked back, If I buy anymore basses I would be surprised if it's not a fiver :)

Cheers Pete; I'm going to play it as much as I'm able.

Does this mean I have an L4500? :)

One or t'other will be leaving in the near future, depending on how I get on, tempting as it is to have identical 4 and 5ers....

Edited by Jakester

[quote name='Jakester' post='1243528' date='May 24 2011, 09:46 PM']Cheers Pete; I'm going to play it as much as I'm able.

Does this mean I have an L4500? :lol:

One or t'other will be leaving in the near future, depending on how I get on, tempting as it is to have identical 4 and 5ers....[/quote]

Lovely! Yeah no idiot would have more than one of the same bass even in different colours :) :)

Well, blimey. That didn't go well.

I knew it was going to be a challenge, but not quite as bad as that! :)

It's a bit early to be making an absolute decision, but given how tough the learning curve was, and because I can only keep one bass, I'm leaning towards moving the 5er on already.

I found I really didn't need the bottom end as I thought I would in the tunes I was playing. It was nice to have the E at the 5th fret rather than open, but that was really the only discernible bonus for me.

The low-B just felt.... indistinct - there wasn't the bite that the 4er had, despite being the same pickups and wood.

I'm going to sleep on it (not literally - that wouldn't do much for resale value! :)) but I'm deffo leaning towards the 4...

You can't give up that easily! The average time most people appear to suggest is about 3 months to get it nailed not one night. This is part of the problem of getting used to drop D tuning because you have to learn the B and E where they should be normally. Spend some serious time with it and you will love it I'm sure although I'm guessing you have fell at the first hurdle?

I can't say whether you will make the change... it took me 18 months for feel really really happy..but I always knew what I wanted to hear from a 5 so I wanted to stick with it.

If you are determined then you should commit to 6 months.

If the B does not sound good..that is another issue..but it will not endear you to the task.

[quote name='Jakester' post='1245282' date='May 26 2011, 10:13 AM']I think I'm definitely going to revisit it in the future, but at present I think it's not really a goer for the type of stuff I'm playing.[/quote]

"The low-B just felt.... indistinct - there wasn't the bite that the 4er had, despite being the same pickups and wood. "

34" B string by any chance? :) (stands back a safe distance and waits)

Edited by markstuk

[quote name='JTUK' post='1245179' date='May 26 2011, 08:30 AM']....I can't say whether you will make the change... it took me 18 months for feel really really happy..but I always knew what I wanted to hear from a 5 so I wanted to stick with it....
....If the B does not sound good..that is another issue..but it will not endear you to the task....[/quote]
+1

I don't know how long it took me to acclimatise to a 5 string, but I knew I was not going back so I just got on with it.

It will always feel "different" when you change something as fundamental as the number of strings. Initially it felt awkward to me but I switched for the flexibility of a B string and that was that.

It seems that you've chosen this 5 string bass with your eyes. I would still expect a G&L 5 string to sound good though. Maybe it's your rig that can't handle the low notes? Have you tried DR strings? I think they can tighten up your sound. Failing that I'd go back to the start and listen to other basses and choose the best sounding one.

It's got nothing to do with the scale length - it's all in the construction (and using the right strings) whether or not you get a decent feeling and sounding B.

It's well over 20 years ago when I started playing 5-string basses, but I can't recall it being particularly difficult to make the change. I think was up to speed within a day or so.

Admittedly I had been playing mostly guitar in the band I was in before, and getting the 5-string bass coincided with me starting a new musical project so everything I was playing on it was new and I wasn't having to rethink parts that I was used to playing on a 4-string.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1245328' date='May 26 2011, 10:50 AM']It's got nothing to do with the scale length - it's all in the construction (and using the right strings) whether or not you get a decent feeling and sounding B.[/quote]

I agree with this...... there were plenty of theories when 5's first appeared but it is all down to construction and build.

I don't believe neck-thru over bolt-on or 34 or 35 makes much difference and neither does Sadowsky ( I assume ) who was probably very prominent and at the forefront making top end 5st basses 20 years ago.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect Fender OR MM or a few others to get it right 100% of the time, IME.
That is not to say they don't make some basses with very good B's but that it is not a given on any model.

I would never buy a 5 string mass build bass without hearing that particular bass.
Strings and a set-up may help out here...but a uninspired B can remain an uninspired B.

Minefield, IMV.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1245381' date='May 26 2011, 11:22 AM']I agree with this...... there were plenty of theories when 5's first appeared but it is all down to construction and build.

I don't believe neck-thru over bolt-on or 34 or 35 makes much difference and neither does Sadowsky ( I assume ) who was probably very prominent and at the forefront making top end 5st basses 20 years ago.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect Fender OR MM or a few others to get it right 100% of the time, IME.
That is not to say they don't make some basses with very good B's but that it is not a given on any model.

I would never buy a 5 string mass build bass without hearing that particular bass.
Strings and a set-up may help out here...but a uninspired B can remain an uninspired B.

Minefield, IMV.[/quote]

Erm Sadowsky at the forefront? I though they were MM copies hence the stolen headstock design that still exists, Sadowksy obviously felt they were good enough to copy :)

If scale length has "nothing" to do with it, why are we all not playing 29" scale basses? Or is it that 34" is a magic number?

[quote name='JTUK' post='1245381' date='May 26 2011, 11:22 AM']I agree with this...... there were plenty of theories when 5's first appeared but it is all down to construction and build.

Minefield, IMV.[/quote]

[quote name='markstuk' post='1245972' date='May 26 2011, 05:54 PM']If scale length has "nothing" to do with it, why are we all not playing 29" scale basses? Or is it that 34" is a magic number?[/quote]
Like many things a 34" doesn't meen it will have a bad B and 35" won't meen it has a good one either, Both outcomes can exist with either although as there appear to be less cheap 35"'s about it will be less likely to get a bad B in a 35". If the neck has a lot of flex at that tension the B won't be good no matter how long it is the same as if it has skinny strings on.