Why become a member? ×

Bands Wanted

Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='1260776' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:28 AM']I think that'd be a gig to get the whole London crowd in for!

Three basschat bands, one night? :)

I could try and organise something longer if you think it'd work, during the day we have bassmeet:london and then in the evening we have you three playing?

Perfect?[/quote]
Sounds like a plan :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1261449' date='Jun 8 2011, 05:00 PM']I shall enquire.

Can you PM me with rough dates when you could do it?[/quote]
Given that Dick Venom are from Nottingham and half of RB are from the South Coast, probably best if it a Friday or Saturday night in September - any one as far as I am concerned

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1261758' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:23 PM']We want 10 grand, 6 bottles of Krug and a packet of dry roasted peanuts.[/quote]

You are the sort of band who sets a low standard in their rider and spoils it for everyone else

Pastachios or Cashew nuts dear boy

[quote name='Low End Bee' post='1261758' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:23 PM']We want 10 grand, 6 bottles of Krug and a packet of dry roasted peanuts.[/quote]
I think we could handle the peanuts, but otherwise, I think not... :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1260661' date='Jun 8 2011, 07:27 AM']If you haven't gotten any reply at all then send an email direct to [email protected] rather than using the form. Just say you tried on the website but as you didn't get any response you assumed it didn't go through etc.

Hopefully you'll hear back![/quote]

tried him last week, nothing yet, cud you give him a nudge :)

Hey guys, I said I would let you know how my gig went at the Epson venue so here goes.

In the 23 years of gigging doing hundreds of gigs, last night was the first gig that I have walk out on. We were told to get to the venue at 8pm for a 9pm sound check. We arrived at the venue to find it all closed. We awaited outside and at 8.45pm a guy arrived to open up. He said, you lot are early, we don't open until 9pm to which we told him what we were told timings wise. He then said ah yes, slight problem, we have no soundman for tonight, I have asked a mate to come down but he can't make it until 11pm. He offered to set us up but said he's only done a very basic sound course many many years ago and not sure where everything is. We also asked about other bands which he replied that there should had been but not any more, so its just you guys. So at this point a few alarm bells were ringing.

We enter the venue and it is tiny and a total dump. The floor is all sticky from spilt beer and nothing has been cleaned or tidied from the previous night. We asked about the holes punched in the walls and he said that was from a fight they had last night. The stage was probably about the size of a drum riser. There were some amps on stage which I said we won't need so they can be moved to make more space. The guy said we can't move them as during last nights fight one of the wall socket boxes got kicked off, exposing all the wires so its hidden behind these amps but I can plug into the one next to it :)

So at this stage we were really losing faith but stuck with it but then found out that they only had a couple of microphones and two DI boxes so we could not really set up and play anyway. We have four vocals but can get away with three but they only had two. At this stage we told the guy to forget it.

What was also really annoying was part of the deal was that we had to do our own posters so they could promote us in the venue and around the town. They had to be good quality as well as a PDF to be put on the website. As you can probably guess, not a single poster advertising us was up in the venue and the gig was only put up on the website the morning of the gig. So no promotion or effort from the promotor or venue.

After speaking to the guy who opened up, we got the general feeling that there is a difference of opinion between the owners/promotors of the venues and no one is communicating to each other which probably explains why none of you have had any replies to your emails. The Epson venue was also the original venue but has now been forgotten about. Plus its where everyone goes after Weatherspoons kicks out and is a rough old dive.

The guy that booked us was Tristan but again we got the impression from the guy that he is very flakey and not really in charge. He was also the one who insisted we did the posters and sent them to his home address but had clearly done nothing with them or to promote us.

So, anyone looking to get gigs, I would be very very cautious as if the management are in disputes and not communicating, you may find yourself having a wasted trip, especially if some of you would have to travel far like BigRedX. I have no idea what the Barbican venue is like but I did not get a positive impression about the whole setup. Plus our experience of this Tristan guy was not at all positive.

Good Luck guys.

Edited by Linus27

Thanks Michael. Frankly, count Rattlin Bone out too. Some of the band (like BigRedX) would have to travel a long way to play the Barbican and I would die of embarrassment if the venue and gig turned out even half as bad as the one described above. Sorry Bankai but it's a no from us unless there are decent answers to the issues raised by Linus27.

[quote name='Linus27' post='1265935' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:21 PM']Hey guys, I said I would let you know how my gig went at the Epson venue so here goes.

In the 23 years of gigging doing hundreds of gigs, last night was the first gig that I have walk out on. We were told to get to the venue at 8pm for a 9pm sound check. We arrived at the venue to find it all closed. We awaited outside and at 8.45pm a guy arrived to open up. He said, you lot are early, we don't open until 9pm to which we told him what we were told timings wise. He then said ah yes, slight problem, we have no soundman for tonight, I have asked a mate to come down but he can't make it until 11pm. He offered to set us up but said he's only done a very basic sound course many many years ago and not sure where everything is. We also asked about other bands which he replied that there should had been but not any more, so its just you guys. So at this point a few alarm bells were ringing.

We enter the venue and it is tiny and a total dump. The floor is all sticky from spilt beer and nothing has been cleaned or tidied from the previous night. We asked about the holes punched in the walls and he said that was from a fight they had last night. The stage was probably about the size of a drum riser. There were some amps on stage which I said we won't need so they can be moved to make more space. The guy said we can't move them as during last nights fight one of the wall socket boxes got kicked off, exposing all the wires so its hidden behind these amps but I can plug into the one next to it :)

So at this stage we were really losing faith but stuck with it but then found out that they only had a couple of microphones and two DI boxes so we could not really set up and play anyway. We have four vocals but can get away with three but they only had two. At this stage we told the guy to forget it.

What was also really annoying was part of the deal was that we had to do our own posters so they could promote us in the venue and around the town. They had to be good quality as well as a PDF to be put on the website. As you can probably guess, not a single poster advertising us was up in the venue and the gig was only put up on the website the morning of the gig. So no promotion or effort from the promotor or venue.

After speaking to the guy who opened up, we got the general feeling that there is a difference of opinion between the owners/promotors of the venues and no one is communicating to each other which probably explains why none of you have had any replies to your emails. The Epson venue was also the original venue but has now been forgotten about. Plus its where everyone goes after Weatherspoons kicks out and is a rough old dive.

The guy that booked us was Tristan but again we got the impression from the guy that he is very flakey and not really in charge. He was also the one who insisted we did the posters and sent them to his home address but had clearly done nothing with them or to promote us.

So, anyone looking to get gigs, I would be very very cautious as if the management are in disputes and not communicating, you may find yourself having a wasted trip, especially if some of you would have to travel far like BigRedX. I have no idea what the Barbican venue is like but I did not get a positive impression about the whole setup. Plus our experience of this Tristan guy was not at all positive.

Good Luck guys.[/quote]

Linus, sorry this happened to you, but I think you've saved a lot of people wasted emails and wasted journeys & time, many thanks. TBH whenever I hear of a venue needing acts - given how many acts I know that are desperate for venues - I think; "mmmm, must be a crap venue", seems the old rule still stands.

Clarky, there must be another venue via BC that could accommodate the gig in question?

[quote name='Bankai' post='1260776' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:28 AM']I think that'd be a gig to get the whole London crowd in for!

Three basschat bands, one night? :)

I could try and organise something longer if you think it'd work, during the day we have bassmeet:london and then in the evening we have you three playing?

Perfect?[/quote]

Yep. As i live in the area i'd love to come along, although most Friday and Sat's im out gigging myself.

EDIT: Oh bugger. I didnt read the end of the last page. I guess its all been knocked on the head then.

Michael, sorry to hear about your gig. What a shame and very frustrating. Some things never change by the looks of it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Clarky' post='1270768' date='Jun 15 2011, 10:26 PM']me too, asking me to call him ... but after Michael's post I'm in no hurry to reply[/quote]

Ditto.

However, the three basschat bands idea sounds good. My band (see my sig) are also keen for many gigs in coming months, so we would happy to join any possible bill at the Barbican venue, that'd make it 4 BC bands! PM me if you're interested!

[quote name='dc2009' post='1271567' date='Jun 16 2011, 02:43 PM']Ditto.

However, the three basschat bands idea sounds good. My band (see my sig) are also keen for many gigs in coming months, so we would happy to join any possible bill at the Barbican venue, that'd make it 4 BC bands! PM me if you're interested![/quote]

My band are also up for any gigs. Please note we are an acoustic band, a bit like an MTV Unplugged type thing playing original songs with a sort of catchy Motown feel. Still that would make it 5 BC bands :)

[quote name='Linus27' post='1271585' date='Jun 16 2011, 02:49 PM']My band are also up for any gigs. Please note we are an acoustic band, a bit like an MTV Unplugged type thing playing original songs with a sort of catchy Motown feel. Still that would make it 5 BC bands :)[/quote]

That would be fantastic.
My band are a bit more rock with some slight alt/grunge influences. The name Medusa is from way back with the early stuff when it was 80s metal (read as: cock rock). We're playing with an acoustic act on Sunday (see my thread - shameless plug), so we'd be more than happy to play with a range of acts.