Why become a member? ×

Small-ish Valve Heads

obbm

I have recently aquired a pair of Aguilar SL112s and they sound great with the Orange AD200B, however the latter is a bit over-the-top for a compact rig. I'm thinking of something less powerful.

I know that several BCers have Ashdown LBs which are supposed to be good but which might just be a lttle short on power.

I had an Orange BT500 and found it too aggressive, also it's not all valve and sounded nothing like the AD200B.

Has anyone tried the new Vox Night Train NT50H with a bass? I know it's a guitar amp but at 50-watts it looks interesting.

There is a valve swapping thread which might tidy up the Terror. Problem with guitar amps isn't the watts, it is the small transformers that can't pass low end and the power supply. My valve amps are all massive, so can't really help more than that. Maybe get Umph to make you a 2xKT88 thing.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1236040' date='May 18 2011, 05:45 PM']There is a valve swapping thread which might tidy up the Terror. Problem with guitar amps isn't the watts, it is the small transformers that can't pass low end and the power supply. My valve amps are all massive, so can't really help more than that. Maybe get Umph to make you a 2xKT88 thing.[/quote]

Been there and done it with the Terror not long after it was released. Tried all the favourite valves but couldn't get near the AD200B sound so I sold it. I know what you mean about transformers and PSUs. When I get around to it I've got a Linear 50, a Sound City PA50 and an SC200 to get working but it's all a matter time so I'm looking for soemthing off-the-shelf. maybe I'll take myself over to Andetons and see if they will let me try a Vox though a bass cab.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1236039' date='May 18 2011, 05:45 PM']Hmmm, Ashdown 200W Drophead?

PS - What are those SL112s like?! Pics please![/quote]

I think the Ashdown is in a different price league and anyway I already have a 200-watt Orange.

SL112s look just like the web/catalogue pictures and are very light. These are the first Aguilar cabs I've owned so I have nothing to compare against. As far as my defective ears can tell they sound as good as the Epifani 12s I had. So far I've tried them with the AD200B and a GK MB200. Both are good but obviously not they do not sound the same.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1236040' date='May 18 2011, 05:45 PM']There is a valve swapping thread which might tidy up the Terror.[/quote]

Thanks for the credit, but the day I try lecturing Dave about valves you can stick me inside an Ampeg 810 and bury me at sea. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1236126' date='May 18 2011, 06:58 PM']Thanks for the credit, but the day I try lecturing Dave about valves you can stick me inside an Ampeg 810 and bury me at sea. :)[/quote]

Thanks Jack. Tis true that all my education was in valves and not semi-conductors. Even the BBC in 1967.

[quote name='obbm' post='1236114' date='May 18 2011, 06:48 PM']Been there and done it with the Terror not long after it was released. Tried all the favourite valves but couldn't get near the AD200B sound so I sold it. I know what you mean about transformers and PSUs. When I get around to it I've got a Linear 50, a Sound City PA50 and an SC200 to get working but it's all a matter time so I'm looking for soemthing off-the-shelf. maybe I'll take myself over to Andetons and see if they will let me try a Vox though a bass cab.[/quote]

I really recomend getting the soundcitys up and running!

Also in relation to a smaller valve amp, i'd recomend trying out one of the marshall 18watters or a valve junior.

What kinda volumes are you after?

Edited by umph

[quote name='MythSte' post='1236152' date='May 18 2011, 07:15 PM']If you can find a Trace Elliot Twin valve they come with my whole hearted recommendation. They dont trade hands for a lot of money at the moment :)[/quote]

Thanks. That is a brilliant suggestion. Anybody got one they want to sell?

[quote name='eude' post='1236354' date='May 18 2011, 09:41 PM']Ashdown Little Bastard not in the running?...

Eude[/quote]

+1 Ive been gigging the LB30 quite a bit in the blues band im in and it sounds great and as long as you dont want to be
crystal clean easily loud enough, you should test drive one for sure

[quote name='eude' post='1236354' date='May 18 2011, 09:41 PM']Ashdown Little Bastard not in the running?...

Eude[/quote]

I've not ruled it out however I would like to try it through my cabs first. Anyone in the West Surrey area got one I can try?

From the number of discussions I've had with fellow bass players in the last year regarding small form factor all valve bass heads, there must be a gap in the market.

Surely its not beyond the realms of the possible that Ashdown could do a 100-150w version of the Little B'stard (the B'stard?)? I'd be interested in one (providing the price was more reasonable than their 200w fliptop combo :) )

Oh and in reply to Dave's original question, have you thought about one of the guitar based rack valve power amps from Marshall or Mesa Boogie? I've had canny results playing my PJB bass buddy through a Marshall valve power amp at low volumes.

[quote name='JPJ' post='1236765' date='May 19 2011, 11:08 AM']From the number of discussions I've had with fellow bass players in the last year regarding small form factor all valve bass heads, there must be a gap in the market.

Surely its not beyond the realms of the possible that Ashdown could do a 100-150w version of the Little B'stard (the B'stard?)? I'd be interested in one (providing the price was more reasonable than their 200w fliptop combo :) )[/quote]

I've come to the same conclusion. Max power for minimum size. That's why the VOX looked interesting. 50-watt, all-valve, under £600.

I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that what I need is either an old Hiwatt or build a 50w all-valveguitar amp kit and tweak the EQ values for bass. Firstly I need to get my SC 50PA running to see how much volume it gives.

Obviously I understand if you are, but are you set on all tube? If not, have a look at the Genz Streamliner 900. Total overkill wattage wise, but its very small, well made, and light.

It also has so much clean headroom! Very very 'tube like', and thats coming from another AD200b owner.

Then again, there isnt anything like a full tube amp.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1236783' date='May 19 2011, 11:30 AM']Then again, there isnt anything like a full tube amp.[/quote]

There, you said it.

My sole bassic-bits endorsee, Paul Geary, has just got an endorsement deal with Orange and he told me that the AD200B is the best amp he's ever used. Interesting comment.

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='1236782' date='May 19 2011, 11:29 AM']You're more than welcome to try my Little Mark Tube 800 Dave.

I'm not sure it's exactly what you're looking for but it's an excuse to have a play anyway :)[/quote]

Thanks for the offer Nick. I've had a very on/off relationship with Markbass, more off than on, which is why I ended up selling the F1. That said it would certainly be interesting to try the 800 one day.

[quote name='obbm' post='1236817' date='May 19 2011, 12:13 PM']My sole bassic-bits endorsee, Paul Geary, has just got an endorsement deal with Orange and he told me that the AD200B is the best amp he's ever used. Interesting comment.[/quote]

Definitely interesting! The amp does seem to be getting a lot of attention recently.

3-4 years ago I very rarely saw Orange bass gear, and now its quite popular.

[url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/store/guitar-department-45/bass-amps-456/ebs-classic-t90-all-tube-bass-head-24690"]Ticks many boxes, except for the budget one[/url]

Also, the one in my sig (gear link, 2xKT88s) could also fit the bill, but getting it to this point was a journey I wouldn't recommend.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1237513' date='May 19 2011, 10:28 PM'][url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/store/guitar-department-45/bass-amps-456/ebs-classic-t90-all-tube-bass-head-24690"]Ticks many boxes, except for the budget one[/url][/quote]

How much!?...
Those guys are insane! :)