Why become a member? ×

Time to stop using Rotosounds. Need some advice!

[quote name='deepbass5' post='1229148' date='May 12 2011, 06:40 PM']I started out on Rotosound, 15 years then went to Elites 5-10 years with a few jump backs to Roto solo bass now use GHS boomers nickle, love them they feel warm and have a lived in feel, no clanky zingy suprizes to EQ out. (Fingerstyle pop covers).[/quote]

+1, I tried Boomers after years of Rotos and, like the OP, loving their sound when new then being frustrated by their poor lifespan. Boomers aren't quite as zingy at first, but they grow old more gracefully. I think the overall sound is more 'musical' and on a Precision you get a huge range of tones from deep and round to clanky and gritty.

I've used mainly Rotosound, because that's all the shop stocks but it is time for a change. We play mainly rock. I changed my strings once every 6 weeks so I was thinking coated strings should last me 3 months or so. But these coated strings can be expensive (Elixir = 50 Euro).

If you get a bad set can you return them or are you expected to just take it on the chin.
If I forked out 50 Euro for a set and got sub-standard there would be tears. :)

I use DR coated strings on one of my basses and although they're pricey, they kept their tone for a while (though they're due a change now).

I prefer coated strings in general, I don't like my strings too zingy and feel new sets always need playing in for a few days before they sound right to me or they're too toppy. Coated strings seem to skip that step and then last longer at what I find just right.

Just Strings are in the US so you'll be hit for VAT and carriers clearance fees, although with a bit of luck it will be still be cheaper than Stringbusters. Also from what I remember from my last Just Strings order (Pedullas - at the time the only place that would ship to the UK) they took about 2 weeks to arrive.

Bit late to the discussion - even with my string killing fingers, I really rate Rotosound Rotos. They are smooth under your pinkies, have a nice tone to them and for those who change strings regularly they can be picked up for a brilliant price. I order custom gauged 6 string sets for my headless bass.

[quote name='Stewart' post='1227073' date='May 11 2011, 07:45 AM']Give Elites Stadium (heavy) a try - good life for roundwounds, and very consistent in my experience[/quote]

Yep, really trebley, last for ages, good 'rock' strings. A bit rough-feeling (had to man up!) but I used a couple of sets on my first 5-string and they DESTROYED the frets. Must point out that it was a nasty bass and they've been fine on both the Peaveys and the ancient East-German no-name P-copy I've used them on since. They growl nice, too.

I use flats exclusively, except on the 8 string although that's only a matter of time but when I do use rounds I will only use Hartke ones as they feel and sound the best to me.

I've tried them all from cheap and nasty Alice ones to gold Optimas and I just prefer the Hartkes.

I used ghs boomers for about 6 years, then tried out strings I could get locally,

Ernie balls, sloppy as hell! Just aren't where you expect them to be on 16th notes!
Rotos, very nice, but I thought boomers were meant to die quickly, Jesus!
Elites, not bad but just something about them feels "cheap"
DR - good but not to my taste!

Really need to try d'addarios cause my brother swears by them on guitard

But gone back to boomers cause I change them about once every 6 months! Bright as the rotos to start with, more bassy, and when the go dull, they still don't go as dead as the rotos.

To summarise, ghs are a lot like the rotosounds but the dead sound is still as good as most new strings

Of course IME and IMHO

DR's are great, they are expensive but they last well. I've switched from Roto's and have been using D'Addario pro steel XL's recently. Not sure what other gauges they do as i only ever use 45-105's but so far i'm impressed with them. I had one pack that had a dead E string but that was a one off. Well worth a look.

Elixirs Elixirs Elixirs!

I do rabbit on about them but there arent many strings I havn't tried over the years. I find the Average amount of life I get out of most sets is 2/3 weeks. Roto's where less, DR slightly more. My elixirs last 9 months at the lowest point and even then I don't notice a huge amount of difference when I change them over.

[quote name='MythSte' post='1250822' date='May 30 2011, 10:29 PM']Elixirs Elixirs Elixirs!

I do rabbit on about them but there arent many strings I havn't tried over the years. I find the Average amount of life I get out of most sets is 2/3 weeks. Roto's where less, DR slightly more. My elixirs last 9 months at the lowest point and even then I don't notice a huge amount of difference when I change them over.[/quote]

For those who do not like Elixirs and checked them a long time ago..give them again a try.
They have changed. In the beginning they were not very shiny and a little bit sticky, i didn´t like them at all.
Now, the newer ones are shiny, feel really smooth under your fingers and sound nice.