Why become a member? ×

Finally found the right 'gig' for me

Musicman20

After failing for a fair while to find a band I felt I wanted to put my efforts into, and leaving my originals band very promptly AGAIN after a disastrous tour, it was about time something went right.

Ive been practicing for 3 weeks for a drummer I know from my school days, and we are backing an acoustic artist. At first we stuck to the songs as they were recorded, but we all quickly realised putting our own spin on it worked better. So its almost like covers, but slightly rewritten for acoustic/bass/drums. Obviously the main sections and vocals are still there. We also have a few of our own songs that are creeping in.

At the moment its only a 1 hour set, but the guitarist goes out on his own doing upto 30 songs, so basically once we are upto speed we will have plenty of material. Not only that, we want to incorporate his electric guitar on a few tracks just to give it a little more 'ummpph' on the tracks that it works well on.

Working in a band with 3 people in total is so much easier! We practice for free in the drummers sound proofed garage, so its such a good setup!

First gig last night. I was told it was a charity event, and they had sold 700+ tickets. I didnt know what to expect.

As it was a breast cancer charity event, they had basically changed a farm building into a huge pink stage/bar/function area, and the actual look of the event was extremely professional! I couldnt believe it was our first gig as a band.

Anyway, I could go on for hours. It was absolutely brilliant. Our guitarist had to help out because one of the bands 'pulled out', so he went on first as a solo artist. Then, he went back on with myself and the drummer. As soon as we started, the place erupted! I literally couldnt believe how well we went down, plus we barely made any mistakes. Every dancing/singing along was a great feeling after all the rubbish ive been through in my last few bands.

We got more bookings, and a non-bassist complimented my playing....which was a great confidence boost.

By the way, I used the headlining bands amp (a Hartke Head/4x10). The Hartke sounded DAMN fine, I was impressed. I can see why they get praise. The 4x10 was overkill though, I couldnt get it quiet enough because of the volume taper!

I think a 1x12 would have happily worked for the band....GAS!

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1224151' date='May 8 2011, 02:53 PM']After failing for a fair while to find a band I felt I wanted to put my efforts into, and leaving my originals band very promptly AGAIN after a disastrous tour, it was about time something went right.

Ive been practicing for 3 weeks for a drummer I know from my school days, and we are backing an acoustic artist. At first we stuck to the songs as they were recorded, but we all quickly realised putting our own spin on it worked better. So its almost like covers, but slightly rewritten for acoustic/bass/drums. Obviously the main sections and vocals are still there. We also have a few of our own songs that are creeping in.

At the moment its only a 1 hour set, but the guitarist goes out on his own doing upto 30 songs, so basically once we are upto speed we will have plenty of material. Not only that, we want to incorporate his electric guitar on a few tracks just to give it a little more 'ummpph' on the tracks that it works well on.

Working in a band with 3 people in total is so much easier! We practice for free in the drummers sound proofed garage, so its such a good setup!

First gig last night. I was told it was a charity event, and they had sold 700+ tickets. I didnt know what to expect.

As it was a breast cancer charity event, they had basically changed a farm building into a huge pink stage/bar/function area, and the actual look of the event was extremely professional! I couldnt believe it was our first gig as a band.

Anyway, I could go on for hours. It was absolutely brilliant. Our guitarist had to help out because one of the bands 'pulled out', so he went on first as a solo artist. Then, he went back on with myself and the drummer. As soon as we started, the place erupted! I literally couldnt believe how well we went down, plus we barely made any mistakes. Every dancing/singing along was a great feeling after all the rubbish ive been through in my last few bands.

We got more bookings, and a non-bassist complimented my playing....which was a great confidence boost.

By the way, I used the headlining bands amp (a Hartke Head/4x10). The Hartke sounded DAMN fine, I was impressed. I can see why they get praise. The 4x10 was overkill though, I couldnt get it quiet enough because of the volume taper!

I think a 1x12 would have happily worked for the band....GAS![/quote]

Sounds amazing Gareth, really jealous buddy (in a good way of course) :)

Glad you have found something that you enjoy mate,its not that easy ! sounds like the perfect setup with being able to do great well known songs but put your own spin on them . :)

[quote name='Jigster' post='1224199' date='May 8 2011, 03:44 PM']what bass did you play! can't believe you left that bit of info out!![/quote]

You wont believe this! I wanted to use my 2 band Ray, which came back from EBMM UK with the SAME fault...so Im asking for a replacement bass or refund. Its virtually brand new and shouldnt have shielding problems.

So, I used the Sue Ryder P Bass! To be fair, it sounded like a P should...

Next gig, something better!

I really enjoyed reading your first post Gareth.

It's just brilliant to find a gig that you enjoy. Long may it continue for you.

Frank.

PS. I highly recommend the Barefaced Midget if you're thinking about a 1 x12 cab. It's loud, deep and sweet sounding and without doubt in my mind, the best small cab I've owned in 25 years of playing bass. The Compact is better if you want an even deeper sound. Both are VERY loud.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1224935' date='May 9 2011, 11:44 AM']I've requested a replacement for Weds so I can use it Thurs and Sat. We shall see!

Thanks chaps...appreciated! I'll definitely be looking into what 1x12s are around.[/quote]

Thats pretty quick. Is this just going to be on lone then?

The gig sounded like fun. I've played a few Cancer research gigs and the atmosphere has always been fantastic.

It was great fun! Well, I've basically said I want a new bass (they have a few close to the spec in stock) even if it means a 3eq. It's either that or go down the refund route, but to be honest I just want a working bass. This 2eq was pristine, I've only had it a few months, and to develop faults and still be faulty after a repair is just not acceptable when they cost so much.

Hopefully by weds I'll have a new replacement. I'll let you know.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1224967' date='May 9 2011, 12:11 PM']It was great fun! Well, I've basically said I want a new bass (they have a few close to the spec in stock) even if it means a 3eq. It's either that or go down the refund route, but to be honest I just want a working bass. This 2eq was pristine, I've only had it a few months, and to develop faults and still be faulty after a repair is just not acceptable when they cost so much.

Hopefully by weds I'll have a new replacement. I'll let you know.[/quote]

Cool , keep us posted and good luck with it.

Great news guys. Darren @ Bass Merchant has been very helpful and I have a new 3EQ Sunburst/Maple on its way for Wednesday in exchange for the 2EQ.

I havent had a maple boarded bass for a while, and this will be the only one, but its good to have some variety :)

I will eventually get another 2 EQ...but to be honest Ive always like both pre-amps, so no real biggie for me.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1225197' date='May 9 2011, 03:29 PM']Great news guys. Darren @ Bass Merchant has been very helpful and I have a new 3EQ Sunburst/Maple on its way for Wednesday in exchange for the 2EQ.

I havent had a maple boarded bass for a while, and this will be the only one, but its good to have some variety :)

I will eventually get another 2 EQ...but to be honest Ive always like both pre-amps, so no real biggie for me.[/quote]

Gareth. Im not sure what to make of this.

Personally i dont think its great news that you have to settle for something you didn't intend to purchase in the first place.
I can understand why its happening, and of course no reflection on Darren, but it seems to me that due to the poor QC, and lack of any real help from the workshop the bass was sent to you are settling for second best.

Just my thoughts.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1225202' date='May 9 2011, 03:33 PM']Gareth. Im not sure what to make of this.

Personally i dont think its great news that you have to settle for something you didn't intend to purchase in the first place.
I can understand why its happening, and of course no reflection on Darren, but it seems to me that due to the poor QC, and lack of any real help from the workshop the bass was sent to you are settling for second best.

Just my thoughts.[/quote]

PM'd! :)

As you can imagine, I love Rays no matter what, so this is the right colour and as long as its well made, and sound/plays right, im happy!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1225202' date='May 9 2011, 03:33 PM']Gareth. Im not sure what to make of this.

Just my thoughts.[/quote]

Saved me some typing. Cheers :)