Why become a member? ×

fender jaguar

gub

The one I had buzzed like a wasp on speed if there was a lighting rig about. I could have got it shieldied as noted above with copper but in the end couldn`t be arsed. It seemed to have a garbage active circut.

No doubt Monkonthehill, aka "the keeper of the flame for Jaguar bass" will be along shortly to tell us all how wrong we are :) Steve has gigged his quite a bit so he will have something to say.

Jez

I gigged mine while I had a for a year. In reality it was no noisier than any other bass, however in active or in temperamental conditions it will buzz like nothing else.

Personally I think it's lack of shielding and cheap battery box. If you tap the battery box it makes lots of noise. At high volume it's again temperamental, depending on the proximity of power supplies etc.

IMO it would fair better with a high quality preamp but trying to change it is more bother than what I thought was worth.

However Monk is going to be here soon.....

Seems such a shame as i love the sound of them and they look amazing to me , just a shame it seemed that fender didnt put some higher quality stuff in it when they made them , i wonder if they stopped making them due to all the complaints or just due to lack of sales!

thought my ears were burning hahaha.

Yes Jez and Prime are right, I love my Jag.

They do have issues with this humming, however find me a bass with such tonal options for the price that wouldnt.

The buzzing can be sorted as long as you ground the bass properly. However getting all the cavity walls shielded pretty much sorted mine out. They are lovely machines though and a little buzz in no way should put you off one of these truely amazing basses.

The preamp gets slated, but I am more than happy with it. Its quite crude, however due to the amount of thump and twang that it can produce I just find it hard to get a bad sound out of it.

Its ment for rock n roll and thats what it does best.

I tried one the last time I was shopping for a bass, and found the switches really noisy - audible thumps through the amp whenever I changed the selection, so I didn't buy it. Awesome range of sounds though, and a lovely neck profile made it a dream to play, I just feared for the safety of my speakers.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1224674' date='May 8 2011, 11:48 PM']thought my ears were burning hahaha.

Yes Jez and Prime are right, I love my Jag.

They do have issues with this humming, however find me a bass with such tonal options for the price that wouldnt.

The buzzing can be sorted as long as you ground the bass properly. However getting all the cavity walls shielded pretty much sorted mine out. They are lovely machines though and a little buzz in no way should put you off one of these truely amazing basses.

The preamp gets slated, but I am more than happy with it. Its quite crude, however due to the amount of thump and twang that it can produce I just find it hard to get a bad sound out of it.

Its ment for rock n roll and thats what it does best.[/quote]

i shielded mine.. took 5 mins :) sound quite to me! most recording studio worth any money wont have awful wiring in the mains too.
Jags are awesome. :)

Mine is fine unless the amp/PA is plugged into somewhere where there is a dodgy power supply, and then it tends to hum like crazy. Got someone to shield it a while back which has helped somewhat but it's still an annoyance.

I am used to passive instruments, and I find the active pre-amp useful for the occasional bass or treble boost rather than being on all the time. I like the passive sound enough anyway.

I'm willing to put up with the occasional noise in odd circumstances it because I love the thing; it looks great, it has a really great sound that fits with the band and I really enjoy playing it. Maybe I'll get someone to have another look at the shielding at some point!

Don't get me wrong, I had for a while cause I liked it sound, it was really light too.
It is a good alternative to a jazz but with it sounding exactly the same. And if you do have a good one where the pre-amps pots a more tapered then with some good strings you can coax a Marcus miller esque sound out of it, and in passive it'll still do the Jaco burpy sound aswell.

However for the price it should have come with a better preamp, but it was solidly built.

Also for the neck was a little too thin.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1225887' date='May 10 2011, 09:40 AM']On the issue of noisy basses, my 2EQ Ray that is being replaced is/was quite buzzy and noisy for a Ray. Definitely a grounding/shielding issue.[/quote]

Tbh my 3 EQ ray buzzes but depends how close the strings are to the pickup for some reason. But it's not too noisy if you understand, I live with it because I love my ray. I only started hated the noise when I had the jag because I started hating the bass overall.

[quote name='jezzaboy' post='1223678' date='May 7 2011, 09:18 PM']The one I had buzzed like a wasp on speed if there was a lighting rig about. I could have got it shieldied as noted above with copper but in the end couldn`t be arsed. It seemed to have a garbage active circut.[/quote]

Certainly my experience :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkJs7WodKk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHkJs7WodKk[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hej9Ixr3dNw&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hej9Ixr3dNw...feature=related[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgv8VcI8p3Y&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgv8VcI8p3Y...feature=related[/url]

.... does anyone hear a buzz?

thats my jag too.

You are going to get different opinions on this topic as seems, some buzz like crazy and some don`t. For myself, the noise done my head in and ended up with me getting rid of it. I lost a few bob on it as I bought it brand new and I so wanted it to be a great bass but it was not to be.

It might be worthwhile buying one and sticking it "in the loft" as it`s a Jap Fender and all Jap Fenders are classic`s (if you believe some of the crap on Fleabay) and are getting more expensive than their US counterparts in lots of cases :)

Jez