Why become a member? ×

Classic Vibe Precisions

Been curious lately having noticed weeks going by without CV Precisions even being mentioned.

Seems not that long ago that almost every other day, someone had one for sale, or was buying one, or just generally dicussing the pro's / con's of them. But lately, they havn't even been mentioned at all (until today as an also- ran in another thread).

Has the love just dropped off or are they just out of fashion now ? have they stood the test of time and been revealed to be as good as every first thougth they were ? Just a thought.

What do you think ?

(BTW enjoy the gig if you've got one tonight)

T

I've said in a few threads that I've tried a number of Squier 'Classic Vibe' guitars and been really impressed with them all. In fact, I'm not convinced anything Fender produce up to (but not including) their MIM classic series is as good or at least any better.

I think they're cracking guitars and well worth the price tag but I guess some will always struggle to part with that kind of money for an instrument branded 'Squier'.

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1222963' date='May 7 2011, 10:51 AM']Been curious lately having noticed weeks going by without CV Precisions even being mentioned.

Seems not that long ago that almost every other day, someone had one for sale, or was buying one, or just generally dicussing the pro's / con's of them. But lately, they havn't even been mentioned at all (until today as an also- ran in another thread).

Has the love just dropped off or are they just out of fashion now ? have they stood the test of time and been revealed to be as good as every first thougth they were ? Just a thought.

What do you think ?

(BTW enjoy the gig if you've got one tonight)

T[/quote]

I think what happened is that they're getting played now, so less time to write about them :)

I use mine a lot, although live is still my Stingray because it's the sound I want with the band(s) but I haven't changed my mind one bit about what a great bass it is.

I sold my CV Precision through BC - only because I couldn't quite get comfy with the Precision neck! Loved the bass, though.

However, I would never part with my CV 60's Jazz. Plays and sounds just like it should, and only cost me about £280 just before the price rise at the start of this year.

If anything happened to it, I'd totally buy another. At £319, they are still a steal compared to other Fenders.

I'm looking forward to the range increasing, a thinner-necked P would certainly tempt me!

...and I think the CV colour schemes look better than the Fenders as well - I've never really been a Fender fan, so for a Squier was no problem whatsoever. If it's not a Ric, it can say whatever it likes on the headstock!

Edited by spongebob

I agree about the quality of the classic vibe series, they are a bargain for the money. Was there an advertising push that fell off or something ?

There used to be one or two knocking about most months of last year, but I havn't seen one for sale in the secondhand section for ages.

Just seems odd they have suddenly vanished :)

T

Ive settled down with mine.

I use my CV P with CV Jazz neck for all my gigs now, and other than the horrible colour its become one of the most played basses ive ever had. There really isnt much to talk about now as i dont intend to change any more parts, i'm not having any problems with it and it plays like a dream.
The only thin i have thought about is getting it resprayed, probably black, but as it plays so well i can live with the colour for now.

I would love a Matt Freeman as i prefer black, and i really want a maple necked P but as im still not 100% comfortable on a P neck i cant see me getting one just yet.

My one regret is the amount i've wasted on other, "better" basses over the past 5-6 years.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1226117' date='May 10 2011, 01:09 PM']Ive settled down with mine.

I use my CV P with CV Jazz neck for all my gigs now, and other than the horrible colour its become one of the most played basses ive ever had. There really isnt much to talk about now as i dont intend to change any more parts, i'm not having any problems with it and it plays like a dream.
The only thin i have thought about is getting it resprayed, probably black, but as it plays so well i can live with the colour for now.

I would love a Matt Freeman as i prefer black, and i really want a maple necked P but as im still not 100% comfortable on a P neck i cant see me getting one just yet.

My one regret is the amount i've wasted on other, "better" basses over the past 5-6 years.[/quote]

Do you really think that the CVs are better than the Mexican and American Fenders?
Have you tried the Squier Vintage Modified basses and if so, how did they compare?

[quote name='redstriper' post='1226128' date='May 10 2011, 01:21 PM']Do you really think that the CVs are better than the Mexican and American Fenders?
Have you tried the Squier Vintage Modified basses and if so, how did they compare?[/quote]

For me it is.

I have a P bass thats got a jazz neck, with vintage frets on it. I cant imagine finding anything like that off the shelf from Fender.

For me this is perfect. Ive never played a VM, mainly as they have jumbo frets, so they dont really appeal to me.

I am trying to get to grips with the CV P neck on my CV Jazz, but again, that has vintage frets so not directly comparable to the VM.

I know the frets are a personal thing, and not really a deal breaker but if i have a bass that has all the right bits on it, and plays like a dream i can live with the colour.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1226136' date='May 10 2011, 01:26 PM']See, what people could do is just order a CV P and J, and get a deal for two, and not bother getting an American Standard....

But, the question is from me, seriously, HOW do they compare?[/quote]

Well, you know my story. 3 MIA Jazz basses that weren't made properly, 1 CV Jazz that had no flaws that i could find.

Tone wise, my HW1 and HW-one, MIA, MIM classic Jazz and CV Jazz all sounded different so i wouldn't say a MIA sounds better than a CVJ.

The MIA's do feel nicer to hold of course. IME you can feel the quality, and the grain on the two 3TSB's was fantastic. The CV's have a very thick coat of gloss on them so dont look as classy IMO, but these days im paying less attention to looks (as opposed to faults in the finish of course) and more to tone and playability.

I know i keep going on about them but i really love the vintage frets and it felt almost like hard work playing a jumbo fretted jazz.

Yes, I'm with you there Dave and I like thin frets too.
But I can't see me playing a bright white bass somehow and I prefer a satin finish to the neck.
So I have the choice of re-spraying the body and sanding the neck or buying a VM with fatter frets.
Unless the new CV 50s butterscotch P bass sounds as good.
Either way, I don't see any reason to spend a packet on a 'real' Fender.

I've had two Classic Vibe jazz basses (both sold on) and they were both great basses. I'm not a precision man so I couldn't comment on them. I think those Su Pollard basses have stole the 'cheap bass thunder', but there is nothing that can compete with a Classic Vibe jazz bass at the price point. Even the Vintage Modified jazz basses don't stack up (and I've owned them too!).

I had a CV Jazz for a while...it got sold, I've owned my MIA Jazz for around 6 years, it's gone nowhere :)

The CV's are great for the money, the fit & finish is easily on par with the MIA, and the parts and sound are excellent for the price. IMO it did feel cheaper in my hands than my MIA though, and the tone wasn't as full or complete as my American Standard.

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='1227113' date='May 11 2011, 08:40 AM']The CV's are great for the money, the fit & finish is easily on par with the MIA, and the parts and sound are excellent for the price. IMO it did feel cheaper in my hands than my MIA though, and the tone wasn't as full or complete as my American Standard.

Si[/quote]

Exactly what i found with my CV Jazz. At one point my CV Jazz had Wizards in it and it sounded really nice, but when i put the same pups in my HW-one it sounded very different.
The bass seems to have a certain quality to its tone, no matter what pup it has. I felt it was quite a warm, round tone. My HW-one on the other hand was very growly and the burp was fantastic (if you like that sort of thing).

The MIA's i had were the best of the bunch. Tone wise i felt they were in the middle, not as warm as the CV but thicker and punchier than the HW-one.

Looks wise they were fantastic. I will own a MIA 3TSB/Maple again one day. Im not a lover of thick gloss, although i wouldn't let it put me off a bass, but the thin coating on the MIA is really nice.

Well I've only ever played two basses, the two I have at the moment: the HW1 jazz and the CVP 60s.
I love them both and they are not going anywhere. According to the guy who fitted my flats and set them up (a bass expert in Boro) he said he preferred the CVP in terms of playability.
Apart from the thick gloss coat, it's been a great buy (nearly new off BC)

[quote name='Cyrene' post='1227132' date='May 11 2011, 09:13 AM']Well I've only ever played two basses, the two I have at the moment: the HW1 jazz and the CVP 60s.
I love them both and they are not going anywhere. According to the guy who fitted my flats and set them up (a bass expert in Boro) he said he preferred the CVP in terms of playability.
Apart from the thick gloss coat, it's been a great buy (nearly new off BC)[/quote]

The HW-one Jazz is a great sounding bass but you really cant beat the CV necks IME.

Ive not directly compared my CV P to another P, but from memory I prefer the tone i have now to the Lakland Duck Dunns ive had in the past, even with Fralins in them.
The first DD costs me £950, the second (hand) cost me £799 and the CVP cost me £270, maybe thats why i like the CVP more :-)

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Sibob' post='1227230' date='May 11 2011, 10:17 AM']I've got a HW Precision on an indefinite loan and it's great, no vibe to speak of really, but feels and sounds really nice!
I've not gigged the CV Precisions, just the Jazz

Si[/quote]

I had a HW-one P in black and loved it but as i still had a HW1 Jazz sitting around i ended up putting the neck on the P and loved it even more.
This was the first time i had played a P with a Jazz neck on it and it certainly opened my eyes.