Why become a member? ×

Help with a one cab does it all

Smash

Hello

First proper post with bass chat so hi, what I I would like is an all in one cab 30Kg or under and can handle large venues and gives good all round sound and decent bottom end.

I have 2 x aggie 112s with Markbass LMK head, this rig is fine but prefer a 1 lift scenario. 18 months ago these were all the rage now reading these posts on here it seems 6x10 all in one cabs seem to be in favour. Do these handle a low B well?

I used to have an Accugrrove Tri210 which was fantastic but I felt 2 of these would give great all round sound but still its too many lifts.

Any ideas thanks...

Ash

[quote name='mikeh' post='139798' date='Feb 13 2008, 07:18 PM']Epi UL 310 does it for me. IIRC about the same weight as an Aggie GS112 with horn. This cab is about as loud as you'll ever need.[/quote]

But will 3x10's push out enough bottom end at volume? they look amazing cabs.

[quote name='Smash' post='139801' date='Feb 13 2008, 07:25 PM']But will 3x10's push out enough bottom end at volume? they look amazing cabs.[/quote]

In a word, Yes :) I've played some rather large rooms with the UL310 and my old GK 1001 RB II, never had to crank the amp, even without PA support.

If you've got the time and patience, go for a BFM Omni 15 - without doubt the best fullrange cab I've ever used. Deep deep bass, but with great punch and clarity (and it's loud to!)

My build thread is here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11971"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=11971[/url]

and a full review here [url="http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5162"]http://billfitzmaurice.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5162[/url]

Rob

:)

I did indeed Smash - LMII / Aggie GS112 / 112 NT and it was a fine rig. I switched to the Epifani UL310 because I wanted the 'one cab solution' and at the first gig I was amazed at the difference in sound. The Epi sounded a lot punchier but a little less warm than the Aggies, more articulate too inasmuch as I could hear every single note I played.

I've got an Epifani 212 NYC cab now and it's the bollox but I would be very glad to have a UL310 again - I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea but for me personally, it's the best cab going in terms of sound / volume / weight.

Edited by niceguyhomer

Does sound good, looks like I am following you on the one cab solution, not that the Aguilars are bad far from it, I just feel less trips to the car is always good. Still find it hard to believe that 3x10s is gonna cut the mustard but then again looking at all these reviews Epifani are doing something right.

Wow Epifani 212 NYC must be very, very good!

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='139802' date='Feb 13 2008, 07:28 PM'][url="http://www.schroedercabinets.com/21012.htm"]Schroeder 21012L[/url].[/quote]

+100

I'm amazed how good this cab sounds every time I play it. Weighs in at 25kgs too, so very portable

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='mikeh' post='139806' date='Feb 13 2008, 07:32 PM']In a word, Yes :) I've played some rather large rooms with the UL310 and my old GK 1001 RB II, never had to crank the amp, even without PA support.[/quote]

Same here but with my UL212. One lift with my SA450. Bass on back.
Its not a small cab but it is a light one

Or for smaller size and more volume my Schroeder 1210R and LMII.
The1210R is heavier than my UL212 but Still one lift though. It kicks like a mule (as they say on TB)
I would love a 1212L and might get one this year.

Both cabs exceed what my heads put out but dont really go over 12 on the master that often.
never not had enough power at any of my gigs. no PA support used most of the time.

Edited by dave_bass5

If it's any help I use a Schroeder 1212L with Markbass LM II and it is easily loud enough for all my gigs without PA support.

The 1212L is an easy lift and very, very loud. Another advantage is how this cab can be heard by myself, standing beside it, and seems to fill a large room completely.

Just another cab to consider and to add to your agonising!!

I think for me the Epi 410UL 4ohm is king for me at the moment, as it seems to tick most boxes, or I wish I had that Tech 6x10 I have seen on here, very neat.

Them Schroeder 1212L seem unreal very nice cab, would love to give it a go especially if they did a 4ohm version, thats got to be the most compact gigging rig I have seen.

cetera - I would snap your hand off at that price but I know the weight of that baby its got some great sound have played through one before and I am very shocked it hasn't sold.

dave_bass5 - What do you prefer the Epifani cabs or Schroeder cabs?

[quote name='Smash' post='142585' date='Feb 18 2008, 05:08 PM']I think for me the Epi 410UL 4ohm is king for me at the moment, as it seems to tick most boxes, or [b]I wish I had that Tech 6x10 I have seen on here, very neat[/b].

Them Schroeder 1212L seem unreal very nice cab, would love to give it a go especially if they did a 4ohm version, thats got to be the most compact gigging rig I have seen.

cetera - I would snap your hand off at that price but I know the weight of that baby its got some great sound have played through one before and I am very shocked it hasn't sold.

dave_bass5 - What do you prefer the Epifani cabs or Schroeder cabs?[/quote]

It is very neat :)

I have to confess that this cabinet seems to have taken the L O N G E S T time to break in. I didn't think that drivers took that long these days but either my ears are adjusting or this cab is getting better by the day! 30kg is nice... 6 speakers is great... casters that tilt and go is convenient but I have to say that being 19" wide it means when you do have to pick it up you can walk through a normal house door frame without raking your knuckles. Now that is something many people don't consider when selecting a cab.

[quote name='Smash' post='142585' date='Feb 18 2008, 05:08 PM']I think for me the Epi 410UL 4ohm is king for me at the moment, as it seems to tick most boxes, or I wish I had that Tech 6x10 I have seen on here, very neat.

dave_bass5 - What do you prefer the Epifani cabs or Schroeder cabs?[/quote]

First off you can get the 1212L in 4ohms.
my 1210R is 4 ohms and its bloody loud.

I cant say what i prefer. Certainly my 1210R cuts through better and i feel safer with it. My UL212 has a better tone though but lacks a little in the kick dept compared to the 1210R. The 1210R is more mid present. Thats not to say its not a good tone but its not as full and open as my UL212 which i prefer.
I feel 100% confident in the 1210R to not let me down and to be loud enough where as i feel the UL212 could run it to problems but thats based on the bad experience i had when i first got it so although i do rely on it and its not let me down since i fixed it im stll a bit weary at the bigger gigs.

biggest gig i have played with it was to 320 people at RAF Duxford in the American hanger. No PA support.

Ahhh there it is.... drool. Glad you have broken it in at last.. now look into my eyes look into my eyes not around the eyes your under... you now want to sell this lovely cab to me. Nah I wish its a beaut.

Do you know if you can buy Tech in this country anymore or as they are now Tecamp or something like that?

[quote name='Smash' post='142604' date='Feb 18 2008, 05:28 PM']Ahhh there it is.... drool. Glad you have broken it in at last.. now look into my eyes look into my eyes not around the eyes your under... you now want to sell this lovely cab to me. Nah I wish its a beaut.

Do you know if you can buy Tech in this country anymore or as they are now Tecamp or something like that?[/quote]

The Bass Merchant 'were' stockists but they are now producing their own version of the Tech cabs! Tecamp is just a rebadged Tech Soundsystems, same company and components just a bit different aethetics.

[quote name='Smash' post='142585' date='Feb 18 2008, 05:08 PM']cetera - I would snap your hand off at that price but I know the weight of that baby its got some great sound have played through one before and I am very shocked it hasn't sold.[/quote]

It's OK, with the wheels it doesn't seem that heavy :huh:

Thanks for the kind words, it does sound amazing & it's crazy noone has taken it off me yet.... :)

Still going to be looking into this as its so much dosh I have to take my time.

Think it looks like I have nailed it down to:

1 Markbass 104HF I like the way it goes to 35Hz and slightly cheaper than most cabs
2 Epifani 104UL Seems like a really popular cab but a bit expensive
3 Schroeder 21012L a nice combination of speakers in one cab but a little pricey
4 Schroeder 410L good reviews but pricey
5 Bergantino EA410 similar to Epifani but a little cheaper

I really did want a 6x10 but know that for a one man lift its too much.

Also wondering what price would I be looking at for 2x Aguilar GS112 cabs in mint condition!

Reason needing one cab that can be lifted by one man with bass on shoulder, be good enough to cut through a loud guitar driven band and has good bottom end.

Thanks for all your help look forward to hearing your views

Ash