Why become a member? ×

Best distortion pedal?

YehItsRyan

I have had a look at a few distortion pedals and so far the electro harmonix big muff pi and boss odb-3 seem to be jumping out at me as the best ones. I am after a really chunky distortion/overdrive sound that can cut through two guitars without straining. Could I both these pedals and use them side by side or would I be better of with another type of pedal?

I'd quickly discard any notions about the ODB-3 (urgh).

Big Muff can get some really good sounds.

I'd personally recomment you try the Ashdown Hyperdrive (James Lomenzo signature thingy). It is very good, and quite cheap too which is a pleasant surprise.

Edited by mcnach

i always found that the bass big muff pi got lost in the mix somewhat, but that doesn't mean it won't suit your gear, (everyones' gear reacts differently).

the Ashdown James Lomenzo distortion seems to get a lot of praise for results/value, and i recently saw a demo of it on here. might be worth a quick search.

i've been through a number of different options, have tried and traded a few, so i guess there is no one correct option. just try and trade on here. i've yet to find anyone on here i can't trust.

edit: mcnach beat me to it.

here we go :

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1211054' date='Apr 25 2011, 05:43 PM']The Way Huge Swollen Pickle has been getting a good shout on here recently.
Chunk System brown dog looks good too, but the one that has me interested is the Monolith Lodestone (on looks alone).[/quote]
the WHSP is another one i tried, but didn't get on with, although it was much more tweakable than the ehx muff.

but, since trading it, i've heard that messing with the internal trimpot can yield much better results, so i probably messed up. it could just be the high output of my MM Sterling. :)

however, i'm happy with an LS-2 blend of VT bass (@ subtle crunch level) and the devi-ever soda-meiser for insane balls-out mayhem.

whatever works,,,

Edited by phil.i.stein

The Bass Big Muff is a very good pedal, especially for the price.

The ODB-3 is an interesting one; gets a lot of bashing but there are some things that it can do VERY WELL. It has a very good clean blend and thanks to a powerful 2 band eq it can ADD low-end, a strange phenomenon where dirt pedals are concerned. I used one almost exclusively for my overdrive sound for over 2 years and it served me faithfully, in fact I still get it out for some studio stuff. Set with the blend on the dry side and the gain on the low side you'll get a nice sound, but that doesn't mean I don't prefer my Fulltone Bass Drive, which now sits pride of place on my board instead.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1212440' date='Apr 27 2011, 11:27 AM']The Bass Big Muff is a very good pedal, especially for the price.

The ODB-3 is an interesting one; gets a lot of bashing but there are some things that it can do VERY WELL. It has a very good clean blend and thanks to a powerful 2 band eq it can ADD low-end, a strange phenomenon where dirt pedals are concerned. I used one almost exclusively for my overdrive sound for over 2 years and it served me faithfully, in fact I still get it out for some studio stuff. Set with the blend on the dry side and the gain on the low side you'll get a nice sound, but that doesn't mean I don't prefer my Fulltone Bass Drive, which now sits pride of place on my board instead.[/quote]

I must say, I had an ODB-3 and it just didnt do it for me... I got shot of it on EBay in the end.

Used with an active bass, I found it just added an unusable 'crackly' sort of sound to the top rather than a nice fuzz. I'd go for the Muff if those are the 2 choices.

Thought I haven't had a go, Ive heard a lot of good things about the Sansamp Bass Drivers...
Worth a shout, though they're a bit on the expensive side!

Andy,

If we're talking about overdrive i would go for a Fulltone Bassdrive Mosfet or the new Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9B but i'm on the lookout for an incomming pedal from 3Leaf that should suit my drive needs, from the description i've got from Spencer.

For Fuzz the EHX BBM is a very good and cheap pedal!

Catalinbread SFT is freakin A - it's like adding a very powerful drive channel to your amp, works especially well pushing a valve amp

Extreme distortion: try Wooly Mammoth or Copilot Fx pedal that sounds like a laser gun; can't remember it's name.
Also The Goose looks nice
Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B looks good too
I believe both these last two have blend knobs

Are there any bass players whose tone you'd like to emulate a bit? I find that's a good place to start when looking for drive pedals. What kind of band are you playing in?

The Big Muff and ODB-3 are very different pedals. You'd do well to try these out as you'll see how different they are instantly both in terms of sound and the controls.

I haven't tried out many drive pedals, at least not compared to some of the folks on here, but I've been very happy with my Fulltone Bassdrive. It's a versatile drive pedal, from old school grunt to quite full on gain. I find the separate boost switch very handy.

Recently I've been very impressed with demos I've head of the Catalinbread SFT, but I'm yet to try one out.
[url="http://www.catalinbread.com/SFT.html"]http://www.catalinbread.com/SFT.html[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGPV4SBeF2k&feature=channel_page"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGPV4SBeF2k...re=channel_page[/url]

Edited by thumbo

Yeah, +1 for anything 'muff' Some people hate the tone stack, but I think it works really well, dead easy to set up. Tried an ODB3 years ago, and couldn't get a decent sound out of it (for what I wanted). The muffs just sing with all that sustain.

Anyone have any thoughts on the MXR M181 Bass Blowtorch?

I like the look of the Fender Sublime pedal too, but again, no reccommendations here, it seems.

Trying to decide between those two and a bass Big Muff. I have the Little Big Muff and find it lacks... [i]something[/i], fancy having a go with something else.

[quote name='fragglefart' post='1217749' date='May 2 2011, 05:04 PM']Anyone have any thoughts on the MXR M181 Bass Blowtorch?

I like the look of the Fender Sublime pedal too, but again, no reccommendations here, it seems.

Trying to decide between those two and a bass Big Muff. I have the Little Big Muff and find it lacks... [i]something[/i], fancy having a go with something else.[/quote]

The Bass Blowtorch has a very apt name as it can do some pretty full on searing distortion. It offers a lot of control over the distortion tone, although the one I tried was a bit on the noisy side with unwanted hum. I think there's quite a few peeps on the forum that use the Blowtorch, it might be worth having a search and PM'ing for some opinions from people that have used the pedal a lot.

It's worth bearing in mind that the Blowtorch is a distortion whereas the other 2 pedals you mentioned are fuzz. They're quite different beasts.

Edited by thumbo

+1 to the above.

Blowtorch is definitely a fuzz, no doubt. I prefer a muff type for my go-to fuzz, but nothing beats a blowtorch for synth sounds with an octave behind it.

Bass Big Muff Pi everytime for me.

Whatever you eventually get & [i]if your set up allows[/i], put it between your bass & amp instrument input. Run any other effects separately through your effects loop.

[quote name='Wilco' post='1218539' date='May 3 2011, 01:08 PM']Bass Big Muff Pi everytime for me.

Whatever you eventually get & [i]if your set up allows[/i], put it between your bass & amp instrument input. Run any other effects separately through your effects loop.[/quote]

Or you could run them all between your bass and amp.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1219631' date='May 4 2011, 10:53 AM']Or you could run them all between your bass and amp.[/quote]
+1 I've never really seen the point of putting effects pedals through the effects loop on an amp, especially for bass. Bass Big Muff works perfectly inline with my other effects.

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1219682' date='May 4 2011, 11:44 AM']+1 I've never really seen the point of putting effects pedals through the effects loop on an amp, especially for bass. Bass Big Muff works perfectly inline with my other effects.[/quote]

I spent pretty much a whole day swapping things around on my rig &, by quite some margin, the set up I suggested sounded best across all my pedals.

Not that i'll take any credit for it, as i was only testing out stuff that i read on t'internet!!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='1219682' date='May 4 2011, 11:44 AM']+1 I've never really seen the point of putting effects pedals through the effects loop on an amp, especially for bass. Bass Big Muff works perfectly inline with my other effects.[/quote]

well, if you use the FX loop you put effects after the preamp. That means you apply the effect before all the tone shaping... whether you like it better after or before the preamp is a personal matter... but you get a different sound.

A bit like the eternal "wah before or after distortion"? The correct answer is: whatever you like teh sound of better. They *do* sound different.