Why become a member? ×

Finally, after all these years

dave_bass5

Hi All.
Just wanted to post about my gig last night.
After struggling for a few years trying to play with my fingers i final got up the guts to try and get through a gig without the pick.
We did two sets, 1hour 40 mins and i only used a pick for 5 songs.
I dont think i played everything as good as i normally would but it sounded ok for a first time.

I also noticed i played a lot of things differently. Not because i couldn't play what i would with a pick but it somehow felt
Easier to play what ive always wanted to play. More bass like and less guitar like i guess.

I think the reason i can now do it was to simply raise the bass up a bit. I dont really have it that low anyway but a couple of inches
Higher seemed to make the world of difference.
I just need to strengthen my fingers a bit now.

Anyway, this has renewed my interest in playing some very old songs. Im looking forward to my gigs more now.

Cheers.

[quote name='Muppet' post='137894' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:39 PM']That's cool Dave, though take no notice of the "you're only a proper bass player if you play with your fingers" brigade. True, it's all useful, but there's no law about it so go with what feels comfortable to you I guess!

Steve[/quote]
Too right.

I started off with a plectrum, then moved onto slapping (and every song at that point too - oh dear!), then fingers.

Now I play a combination of all of them, depending on what the song requires.

What would be the point in having John Patitucci play a Stanglers track, or JJB playing with Chick Corea? Both great bassists in their own right in my opinion.

Just a small piece of advice - if the band gets louder, let your amp do the work not your fingers. If you play too hard you can get all sorts of problems (blisters at the very least) but a nicely eq'd amp with a lot of head room lets you relax and lets you execute complex ideas comfortably and tightly.

I have rarely met an idea that sounds better executed with a pick but rarely is not never and there are some very sophisticated players who do use picks' Chris Squire (Yes), Anthony Jackson (Al DiMeola) and my favourite, Steve Swallow.

I've been predominantly a plectrum user since I started - probably because all my early inspirations (JJ Burnel, Dennis Dunaway, Lemmy, Foxton etc) were pick users, and I stayed with it - apart from the inevitable mid-80s Mark King phase. :huh:

In the intersts of broadening versatility, I started working seriously on my fingerstyle about 5 years ago, and these days never touch the pick at home. With the band it's now 50-75% fingers, depending on the set. Some things still need the pick, either because it sounds/feels "right" or I just don't have the speed to use fingers - but that will come. And some parts, like those that require aggressive right-hand damping, simply don't work without a fistful of plastic.

Anyway, I'm really chuffed at the moment because after 27 years of playing it with a pick, I now can do [i]YYZ[/i] with fingers! :)

Jon.

[quote name='Muppet' post='137894' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:39 PM']That's cool Dave, though take no notice of the "you're only a proper bass player if you play with your fingers" brigade. True, it's all useful, but there's no law about it so go with what feels comfortable to you I guess!

Steve[/quote]

Agreed.
Funny enough though i have always felt that because i cant play with just fingers that im missing something.
While i will always use a pick for certain songs anyway (including Radar Love) ive always wanted that finger sound.
I always practice at home without a pick but as that's sitting down ive found it hard to do it standing up at gigs (i know why, its just me being lazy at home).
I also found that i could play some rhythms faster without a pick as im using two fingers rather than one pick. and going back to the pick at the end of the night gave me a lot of trouble playing faster runs.

Im going to stick with both though. some songs just sound better with a pick

cheers for the replies.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='137890' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:35 PM']I think the reason i can now do it was to simply raise the bass up a bit. I dont really have it that low anyway but a couple of inches
Higher seemed to make the world of difference.[/quote]

it's funny that I've done the same but for the opposite reason- I've raised my bass since starting to play with a pick as well-

I wear it quite low and prefer having my arm out straight when playing fingerstyle, and when using a pick my arm is turned sideways.

[quote name='SJA' post='138029' date='Feb 11 2008, 10:50 AM']it's funny that I've done the same but for the opposite reason- I've raised my bass since starting to play with a pick as well-

I wear it quite low and prefer having my arm out straight when playing fingerstyle, and when using a pick my arm is turned sideways.[/quote]

I think for it its just closer to how i would play sitting down.

[quote name='dave_bass5' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:35 PM' post='137890']
Hi All.
Just wanted to post about my gig last night.
After struggling for a few years trying to play with my fingers i final got up the guts to try and get through a gig without the pick.
We did two sets, 1hour 40 mins and i only used a pick for 5 songs.
I dont think i played everything as good as i normally would but it sounded ok for a first time.

I also noticed i played a lot of things differently. Not because i couldn't play what i would with a pick but it somehow felt
Easier to play what ive always wanted to play. More bass like and less guitar like i guess.

I think the reason i can now do it was to simply raise the bass up a bit. I dont really have it that low anyway but a couple of inches
Higher seemed to make the world of difference.
I just need to strengthen my fingers a bit now.

Anyway, this has renewed my interest in playing some very old songs. Im looking forward to my gigs more now.

Cheers.

MB1. :huh:
Dont they make a hell of a mess of your bass once they start to defrost? :)

I only ever play with my fingers. I find it a lot harder to forget them or lose them down the back of the sofa :)

I did experiment with a thumb pick a few months back, although I had to dunk it in boiling water to make it fit my thumb comfortably. That was interesting as I could play with my fingers, and then use the thumb pick - it was bit brutal though - too stiff & harsh for my liking.

I've started to notice though recently (been playing a lot more) my right index finger is huge. It's getting muscle bound and feels odd...

The guy I got my first bass from told me not to buy any plectrums to begin with as he said I'd probably find it harder to switch to fingerstyle later on. I have no idea if this was true or not but it worked for me!

So my first instrument was bass guitar and I learned with fingers initially but a lot of my favourite players use plectrums (Peter Hook, Billy Gould, JJ Burnel etc) so I learned too that after a few weeks.

I am actually most comfortable with fingerstyle but some ideas and songs really need a plectrum - my wrist gets stiff when I play with a pick though but fingerstyle helps my chronic shoulder problem.

Using a plectrum also meant I could learn guitar more easily.

I like the way I feel more connected with my bass with both hands on the strings and I always try both fingers and pick when I try a new bass out. I can't slap to save my life.

Even Flea started using a plectrum a few years back, possibly starting with the Californication LP - he's also a big fan of Hooky.

I came from guitar as well so thats why i use a pick.
Now i have my new Lakland DD with its fast neck and low action im pretty sure by the end of the month ill be fingers only other than for the Jam songs or songs that actually need that sound. My speed seems to be increasing each day now.
Ive also found im playing very different now, better rhythm's and not as straight as i have been playing. much more groove.
Maybe the pick has been holding me back all these years.
I even managed some slap last night. probably get fined by the band for playing it though.

Edited by dave_bass5

I think the greatest thing about playing with your fingers is the huge variety of tones you can get directly by changing how you play - that's not to say that tonal and dynamic variation is impossible to achieve with a pick, it certainly it but it's not quite as easy. And once your hands are in control of your tone, GAS rapidly diminishes.

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='140950' date='Feb 15 2008, 11:58 AM']I think the greatest thing about playing with your fingers is the huge variety of tones you can get directly by changing how you play - that's not to say that tonal and dynamic variation is impossible to achieve with a pick, it certainly it but it's not quite as easy. And once your hands are in control of your tone, GAS rapidly diminishes.

Alex[/quote]

Well put Alex. My thoughts exactly.

Coupled with my new Lakland im looking forward to even the most mundane gigs now.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='pauljdcooper' post='141157' date='Feb 15 2008, 04:23 PM']Guitar Addiction Syndrome = GAS! :)[/quote]

Nowt wrong with addiction - but filling your house with them is a bit OTT.

Or wanting more even if you've got perfectly good ones in hand.

Guitar [s]Addiction[/s] Acquisition Syndrome = GAS.

Not to be a pedant like. (I don't even know how I know that... I spend too long on internet forums obviously :ph34r: )

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='141160' date='Feb 15 2008, 04:26 PM']Actually its Gear Acquisition Syndrome i believe.
Its used for many things other than guitars.

[url="http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GAS"]GAS[/url][/quote]

Yes - that's where I knew it from. got guitars on the brain :) So I've just got a large lexicon and I'm not a saddo. Honest.

Edited by bigjohn

whilst we're on the subject of people who play with picks, did tim crommerford ever play with a pick? he doesn't really seem like the kind of player who would use a pick, and in most pictures hes using his fingers, but im sure ive seen a picture where he's almost definatly using a pick.

As I've said before fingers/pick is not an either/or but depends on the sound and feel you want for the song.

Also I can get a variety of tones using a pick (and by using different picks) they're different to the variety of tones I get using my fingers. That's why I use both techniques!