Why become a member? ×

Location Location..

tom1946

No not that one.

Is it just me that gets very frustrated reading adverts and getting a little bit excited about a bass, amp etc' only to find that the OP's location box hasn't been filled in?
You then have to post saying like "where are you located?" I immediately lose interest and don't bother anymore. No one wants to put their address or road up publicly but come on! the town shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure a lot of sales are lost because people can't be bothered waffing about asking where they are in the country (or even the world)

It should be the law

/discuss

[quote name='tom1946' post='1204369' date='Apr 19 2011, 07:01 AM']No not that one.

Is it just me that gets very frustrated reading adverts and getting a little bit excited about a bass, amp etc' only to find that the OP's location box hasn't been filled in?
You then have to post saying like "where are you located?" I immediately lose interest and don't bother anymore. No one wants to put their address or road up publicly but come on! the town shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure a lot of sales are lost because people can't be bothered waffing about asking where they are in the country (or even the world)

It should be the law

/discuss[/quote]

I agree that I wish it was always given, but at the end of the day it's each person's choice.

Some people (I can think of one in particular, where I and others have asked location but it seems it's a closed guarded secret or something... I mean, I was asking for a town name, not the keys to his house) just don't want it disclosed at all. Their choice, their loss. Some don't fill it in out of laziness when joining in and never go back to fill in the profile. Others don't see it as relevant.

I would always ask, if I am very interested. If only mildly interested and that info is not given, I may just pass.

If the info is requested but not given, then I'm not going any further.

I find it amusing that the person I was referring to above has been trying to sell a particular piece of equipment for months. I was interested. He avoided giving location details after I and others asked. In this time, I have obtained that piece of equipment from somebody else, used it for a bit, realised it wasn't for me, put it up for sale... and sold it! His is still out there unsold.
If you're reading this, you *know* who you are. :)

[quote name='tom1946' post='1204369' date='Apr 19 2011, 07:01 AM']You then have to post saying like "where are you located?" I immediately lose interest and don't bother anymore. No one wants to put their address or road up publicly but come on! the town shouldn't be a problem.[/quote]
Nobody has to post personal information publicly - that's what PMs are for.

If having to ask someone where they are based is enough to make you lose interest in buying something then you obviously don't want the item that much in the first place.

[quote name='RhysP' post='1204597' date='Apr 19 2011, 11:36 AM']Nobody has to post personal information publicly - that's what PMs are for.

If having to ask someone where they are based is enough to make you lose interest in buying something then you obviously don't want the item that much in the first place.[/quote]

I tend to agree regarding personal information not being made public, but listing the county where the item might be collected from surely isn't that big a deal. I mean if I see a couple of instruments of the same type available (for example), the one nearest may cost me less monetarily to get to or more importantly cost less in terms of my time.

EDIT: I should say my comment above is solely based upon the idea that when somebody sells an item and wants the buyer to pick up, then listing a location makes everyone's life easier, as for the "From:" field of a user's profile, I wouldn't care about that being filled in at all :)

Edited by purpleblob

[quote name='tom1946' post='1204369' date='Apr 19 2011, 07:01 AM']No not that one.

It should be the law

/discuss[/quote]

We've had this discussion before and it seemed to end with no difference. The guys that wanted it put the locations there, and the guys that didn't for some strange reason came up with excuses and didn't.

I also hate this on ebay when they demand collection only from 'London' WHERE in London, it's a foggin big place. I can drive 100 miles to my Mums house in Birmingham quicker than travelling across London.
I have emailed people with ads like that asking where in London and they reply 'Yeah mate, that's right, collection from London'

I made a similar suggestion last year when I was after a new rig:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75727"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=75727[/url]

The idea made perfect sense to me, but for reasons I'm not clear about most other people seemed to think it was a rubbish idea, and the fact that most For Sale posts still seem to be located in Mysteryland would probably suggest that it was.

Maybe I'm thick, but I still can't work out why.

Jon.

I don`t have a problem with posting my town, but when trying to sell something, I think that you should say where you are, especially when the ad says collection only and guess what, no location!

But as you say BA, we have been down this road before!

Jez