Why become a member? ×

Rackmount Tuners

TomKent

I'll be getting my new rig in the next 2-3 weeks and I've got the choice of rackmount or standalone. Now.. if I go rackmount I want a reason - so one of them is a tuner. What are the best rackmount tuners I can buy for under €150?

TK

[quote name='TomKent' post='1195263' date='Apr 11 2011, 12:46 AM']I'll be getting my new rig in the next 2-3 weeks and I've got the choice of rackmount or standalone. Now.. if I go rackmount I want a reason - so one of them is a tuner. What are the best rackmount tuners I can buy for under €150?

TK[/quote]

DTR1/2000

I have a Korg DTR1000 and it's always been great.

I wouldn't base whether or not you get a rack on your tuner though. :) If you want to put your head in a case for some extra protection then get a rack. With a tuner you're only saving yourself one cable (head > tuner) anyway, the tuner and head will both still need to be plugged in (unless you're using a power conditioner or splitter inside the case) seperately. They're convenient but unless you have a big amp, they'll add a lot of bulk to your rig. My 4u case adds a lot of size to my 2001RB-II and they're not small amps by any stretch.

I wouldn't say that whether or not a head is rack mountable is the biggest factor either. Get the head you want, then if you can justify the extra space (most heads are mountable now) for a rack case, go for it.

I'm in a similar boat. Just bought my new GK rack head, case, rackmount kit for my wireless receiver, now I need a rack tuner.
Used to have a Korg one back in the day (DTR2000 if memory serves) but it seems they've stopped making them! Bar stewards. I really liked that tuner.

Now I'm left with the choice of tracking one down on the 'bay or going for a cheapie Behringer model. Anyone got any experience of these?
Folks turn their noses up at Behringer kit I've noticed, but their kit seems to have a good level of reliability on the road...

[quote name='NickH' post='1195606' date='Apr 11 2011, 12:34 PM']Now I'm left with the choice of tracking one down on the 'bay or going for a cheapie Behringer model. Anyone got any experience of these?
Folks turn their noses up at Behringer kit I've noticed, but their kit seems to have a good level of reliability on the road...[/quote]

Dont.... just DON'T....

The Behringer rack tuner won't track low notes properly. It's fine for guitar (given the normal limitations of Behringer kit - ie you bin it when it eventually breaks) but it will struggle to recognise the A and E (and lower) strings on a bass.

If you have the cash the best rack tuner is the [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=73&sub=66"]Peterson Strobo Rack[/url].

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1195680' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:24 PM']The Behringer rack tuner won't track low notes properly. It's fine for guitar (given the normal limitations of Behringer kit - ie you bin it when it eventually breaks) but it will struggle to recognise the A and E (and lower) strings on a bass.

If you have the cash the best rack tuner is the [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=73&sub=66"]Peterson Strobo Rack[/url].[/quote]

I am glad you put that, I have the Behringer rack tuner, and yes, it really struggles to 'pick up' the low E, even worse when dropping to D, and and when going to B.................................................you are are in for a long long wait lol!

Boss Tu-2/3 is ext on my long long GAS list!

I have the DTR1000 and its jolly good. So a +1 for the Korg kit :-)

I like putting the display onto Battlestar Galactica mode after ive tuned up, always gets audience comments with this lightshow occurring behind me for no reason

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1195680' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:24 PM']The Behringer rack tuner won't track low notes properly. It's fine for guitar (given the normal limitations of Behringer kit - ie you bin it when it eventually breaks) but it will struggle to recognise the A and E (and lower) strings on a bass.

If you have the cash the best rack tuner is the [url="http://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=73&sub=66"]Peterson Strobo Rack[/url].[/quote]

Well that's the Behringer out indefinitely. The Peterson is a bit out of my price range, so looks like the Korg would be the best choice for me

The Peterson tuners are just awesome! I remember Paul and I at one of the first Bass bashes tracking my open low F# string with ease on his handheld tuner! - That said though, I love Korg tuners and the DTR's are very capable - so either would be my choice - Korg probably being the cheaper of the two, but still very acurate.

I have a Pitchblack pedal tuner, but use the tuner on my TC G Major 2 in the rack.

Peterson Stroborack here.

It's the business but expensive. It's also the best.

I wouldn't actually recommend getting a rack tuner though - just get a really, really decent floor tuner. Peterson and TC spring to mind - and they'll work out cheaper than a rack unit that isn't as good. The amount of places I've gone without my rig wishing I had a really good tuner to hand...

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1196734' date='Apr 12 2011, 12:59 PM']I don't understand all the jizzing over Peterson stuff, surely if something tracks quick and tunes like the Korg then that's all you need? I'm sure the Peterson is more accurate but to an inaudible level.[/quote]

Playing single notes agreed. Playing chords, the Peterson has it. It certainly makes a big difference on guitars - especially with the sweetened tunings (waits for doubters to wade in...)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1196740' date='Apr 12 2011, 01:05 PM']Playing single notes agreed. Playing chords, the Peterson has it. It certainly makes a big difference on guitars - especially with the sweetened tunings (waits for doubters to wade in...)[/quote]

I'm not doubting but can you explain, if a string is tuned and the intonation is set properly surely it'd sound right in a chord?

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1196740' date='Apr 12 2011, 01:05 PM']Playing single notes agreed. Playing chords, the Peterson has it. It certainly makes a big difference on guitars - especially with the sweetened tunings (waits for doubters to wade in...)[/quote]
Plus if you have an instrument with the Buzz Feiten tuning system like the MTD Basses you need a tuner that is compensated for it.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1196742' date='Apr 12 2011, 01:07 PM']I'm not doubting but can you explain, if a string is tuned and the intonation is set properly surely it'd sound right in a chord?[/quote]

You can never get your bass in tune across all strings for all keys. Thats where these guys say they can help - [url="http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php"]http://www.truetemperament.com/site/index.php[/url]