Why become a member? ×

Thought I had found my perfect bass

munkonthehill

I have been gassing for basses for years and have had many many basses pass through my hands.

I have had my jag for the full duration of my journey and have recently added a jetglow Ric to complete my set of wicked basses.

Since getting the Ric I have been only been using that at home and rehearsals. Its a great bass and I am more than happy with it however I picked up my jag last night for the first time in a few weeks and fell in love with how it plays all over again.

Now this isnt a thread that will lead me to selling my Ric, but I am just so suprised that after gassing over a massive amount of high end basses it turns out that the Jag may have just been THE bass for me.

When I look at both of the basses sitting together I have a massive smile but I now realise that the jag will be getting just an equal share of the limelight as the Ric.

Goes to show cash doesnt get you the best bass and its all down to the users preference........I may just have had an epiphany

This may also go for this stupid gas for ampage I am now on a quest for. Spoke to ou7shined about markbass and he has shown me the upside of the MB range.
Again I may have been gassing over 'the next best thing' however it may turn out I actually have all I really need and possbily more.

2 epiphanies in 1 morning. Think I will go back to bed, im exhausted!!!!

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1192563' date='Apr 8 2011, 08:29 AM'].....................
Since getting the Ric I have been only been using that at home and rehearsals. Its a great bass and I am more than happy with it however I picked up my jag last night for the first time in a few weeks and fell in love with how it plays all over again.
................[/quote]

You'll pick up the Ric in a couple of weeks and fall in love with how it plays all over again. Then in a few more weeks it'll be the Jag etc.

I go through the same thing with my Jazz and my Status every couple of weeks. :)

I think you may have found your perfect [i]basses[/i].

Edited by Fat Rich

The more I pick up the three basses I keep coming back to (the FrankenP, the Ray and the Fortress), the more I think it's impossible for me to settle on a single bass which will do everything. They all have strengths and weaknesses which I think I should accept as part of their whole, rather than trying to resolve into one 'perfect' bass. The Ray looks fantastic (but I'm not in love with the sound or the feel), the FrankenP sounds and looks fantastic (but could feel better), and the Fortress feels fantastic, but could look and sound better. IMHO, etc.

It's also possible I don't know what I want or what I'm doing, as well... :)

I am very much liking the look of the jags and from what i have heard on you tube they sound lovely, what colour is yours? theres a black on for sale on here atm which looks very nice! mmm may have to sell the aria afterall!

[quote name='gub' post='1192680' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:32 AM']I am very much liking the look of the jags and from what i have heard on you tube they sound lovely, what colour is yours? theres a black on for sale on here atm which looks very nice! mmm may have to sell the aria afterall![/quote]

They are great basses. I would highly recommend them to anyone. I am really suprised they stopped making them.
I also have the black Jag although I kept with the original off white pickguard. The one for sale is sweet looking, I may even be tempted to get a black PG at somepoint.

May aswell stick a pick of the boys up hehehe.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1192884' date='Apr 8 2011, 02:13 PM']I think it's totally normal. I've just dragged my upright down from upstairs for a rehearsal tonight and it feels great. I'd usually default to a P-bass but I do enjoy my Hofner and my Jazz bass :)[/quote]

OH AN UPRIGHT.....................

No Steven you dont need one........................Or do I????????????

See what you now done Tim!!!!

• 1 month later...

I have been playing the Ric now as my main noodling bass and rehearsal bass and still cant connect with it.

The Jag reigns supreme.

So what do I do? move on the bass that I have lusted for for so long? or keep it as a show piece!

I said to the wife that I should never have got it as the dream is never as good as the reality hahaha.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1242466' date='May 23 2011, 11:40 PM']I have been playing the Ric now as my main noodling bass and rehearsal bass and still cant connect with it.

The Jag reigns supreme.

So what do I do? move on the bass that I have lusted for for so long? or keep it as a show piece!

I said to the wife that I should never have got it as the dream is never as good as the reality hahaha.[/quote]

Want to trade for a big al? :)

Although I've just gone through this as you know with the BA.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1242490' date='May 24 2011, 12:02 AM']I always get flamed for not liking Rics on here but I have tried honestly but I just can't get on with them :) They look great but I would rather have something I can use than an expensive show piece, Trade it :)[/quote]

I'm the same. Although they vary a lot, I tried one that I loved the sound of but wasn't so keen on the feel and on another I didn't like either.

Strange, Strange Basses

[quote name='WILD FROG SHOT' post='1192647' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:10 AM']That's the great thing about basses - you don't have to be monogamous; you can indulge in whatever takes your fancy![/quote]

[quote name='Muzz' post='1192661' date='Apr 8 2011, 10:22 AM']The more I pick up the three basses I keep coming back to (the FrankenP, the Ray and the Fortress), the more I think it's impossible for me to settle on a single bass which will do everything. They all have strengths and weaknesses which I think I should accept as part of their whole, rather than trying to resolve into one 'perfect' bass...[/quote]

+1!
Irrespective of how good a single bass is, it'll never capture all of the elements of several instruments.
I have a selection of instruments, traditional, modern, active, passive, bolt-on, neck-thru... (you get the idea) for that very reason.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1242512' date='May 24 2011, 12:48 AM']Want to trade for a big al? :)

Although I've just gone through this as you know with the BA.[/quote]

Funny enough Stephen I do fancy one of the big al's.

But seeing the Bongo and stingray didn't really float my boat I have just put musicman as a brand that I don't get on with.

[quote name='Fat Rich' post='1192635' date='Apr 8 2011, 09:57 AM']You'll pick up the Ric in a couple of weeks and fall in love with how it plays all over again. Then in a few more weeks it'll be the Jag etc.[/quote]
+1.

I don't understand why the people who don't get on with Rics (or any other bass for that matter) feel like there's something peculiar about that. I don't get on with most basses out there. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the basses, all it means is I don't get on with them. Many people think Fenders and Fender-alikes are the most comfortable basses out there but I find them frighteningly uncomfortable. However that doesn't make everyone else wrong. Everyone is different and both aesthetically, sonically and ergonomically may therefore require something different. I don't understand what's so difficult to grasp about that. It's like somebody with size 12 feet saying "wow, these size 9s cost £500 but they're really uncomfortable. My £30 size 12s are way better!"

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1242896' date='May 24 2011, 01:11 PM']+1.

I don't understand why the people who don't get on with Rics (or any other bass for that matter) feel like there's something peculiar about that. I don't get on with most basses out there. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the basses, all it means is I don't get on with them. Many people think Fenders and Fender-alikes are the most comfortable basses out there but I find them frighteningly uncomfortable. However that doesn't make everyone else wrong. Everyone is different and both aesthetically, sonically and ergonomically may therefore require something different. I don't understand what's so difficult to grasp about that. It's like somebody with size 12 feet saying "wow, these size 9s cost £500 but they're really uncomfortable. My £30 size 12s are way better!"[/quote]

My only issue is that I'm a bit deflated that after wanting one for so long that I don't get on with it!!

I am VERY reluctant to move it on though. So my master plan is to use it as my only bass. Stick the jag under the bed and play the ric only....

Surely the only reason I don't get on with the ric is because I'm so used to the jag??

With basses in the past I have moved them on as soon as they get fingerprints on them hahaha but the ric is freakin awesome. So I will put in the extra effort and hope everything sorts itself out.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1243111' date='May 24 2011, 04:26 PM']My only issue is that I'm a bit deflated that after wanting one for so long that I don't get on with it!!

I am VERY reluctant to move it on though. So my master plan is to use it as my only bass. Stick the jag under the bed and play the ric only....

Surely the only reason I don't get on with the ric is because I'm so used to the jag??

With basses in the past I have moved them on as soon as they get fingerprints on them hahaha but the ric is freakin awesome. So I will put in the extra effort and hope everything sorts itself out.[/quote]

MB1. :)
...Could always go John Prescott....Two Jags! :)

It never ends.

I've gone through maybe 40+ basses over the last ten years in an endless search for nirvana, and never find it.

If you have a bass in your possession, in your case the Jag, that you really connect with, hang on to it with all your might. I've let "keepers" slip through my fingers when I'm overcome with GAS, and regretted it ever since. I've actually gone full circle from when I first joined the forum years ago and ended up back on a Stingray as my main bass, so maybe I should just stop there, but I doubt it.

As far as your Ric goes, there's no point in having a quality bass gathering dust, if it aint your bag, as much as you want it to be, maybe you should move it on. I [i]really[/i] wanted to love my Sadowsky, Overwater, ESP, etc etc but it just didn't work out with them, so away they went, and I'm back on a Stingray once again.

If you can afford to have a nice investment bass sitting in its case unused, keep the Ric. If you can't, ship it out.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1243111' date='May 24 2011, 04:26 PM']My only issue is that I'm a bit deflated that after wanting one for so long that I don't get on with it!!

With basses in the past I have moved them on as soon as they get fingerprints on them hahaha but the ric is freakin awesome. So I will put in the extra effort and hope everything sorts itself out.[/quote]

Ironically my post wasn't really directly aimed at you. :)

Still, if you like the Jag better, stick to that. Although as others have said I've let basses go that I really wish I'd kept because they didn't suit what I was doing at the time. It may be that 6 months down the line they suit [i]exactly[/i] what you're doing at [i]that[/i] time.
Of the 40 or so basses I've owned, the only ones I probably would still have sold if money hadn't been an issue are the Jazzes (3), my first Jaydee, a Washburn B20, my 2nd Warwick Dolphin Pro 1, my Hohner Jack and the Statii (4). I'd probably have kept everything else and doubtless would've found a use for them.

Having said that, if you've a much better use or need for for the Ric money, sell it.

[quote name='Rayman' post='1243147' date='May 24 2011, 04:58 PM']It never ends.

I've gone through maybe 40+ basses over the last ten years in an endless search for nirvana, and never find it.

If you have a bass in your possession, in your case the Jag, that you really connect with, hang on to it with all your might. I've let "keepers" slip through my fingers when I'm overcome with GAS, and regretted it ever since. I've actually gone full circle from when I first joined the forum years ago and ended up back on a Stingray as my main bass, so maybe I should just stop there, but I doubt it.

As far as your Ric goes, there's no point in having a quality bass gathering dust, if it aint your bag, as much as you want it to be, maybe you should move it on. I [i]really[/i] wanted to love my Sadowsky, Overwater, ESP, etc etc but it just didn't work out with them, so away they went, and I'm back on a Stingray once again.

If you can afford to have a nice investment bass sitting in its case unused, keep the Ric. If you can't, ship it out.[/quote]

Yeah I am in 2 minds of what to do. The jag is a keeper. I nearly moved it on a few times in a fit of gas,,but thankfully the good folk of BC reminded me of my love for it. So in no way will I be losing a bass that I feel comfortable with.

I think im quite lucky that I found a bass to keep so early and its really nice having the liberty of a higher end bass that I can trade/sell which allows me to try out most things out on the market.

So depending on what I do I guess its a win/win for me :)

I don't see it as a case of being used to the jag, so you can't fit with the RIC.

I moved the jag on after I got a stingray as the stingray just fitted me better, the neck, pickup position, overall sound. And I had the jag for nearly a year and played it exclusively. It was a case of no matter what I played it wasnt a jaguar so didn't fit the bill.

Now it's a case of it's not a stingray it won't fit the bill.

ATM I'm feeling that I'm extremely happy with what I have, so anything else is just going to be in the way.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1243726' date='May 25 2011, 12:27 AM']I don't see it as a case of being used to the jag, so you can't fit with the RIC.

I moved the jag on after I got a stingray as the stingray just fitted me better, the neck, pickup position, overall sound. And I had the jag for nearly a year and played it exclusively. It was a case of no matter what I played it wasnt a jaguar so didn't fit the bill.

Now it's a case of it's not a stingray it won't fit the bill.

ATM I'm feeling that I'm extremely happy with what I have, so anything else is just going to be in the way.[/quote]

I agree what your saying Stephen, but its just because ive wanted one of these for so long that I hate the idea of letting it go hahaha.

Im trying to get a cheap gibby bass sorted the noo also or a MIM fender. If I get one of these basses and I love it straight away then I know the Ric aint for me.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1244688' date='May 25 2011, 07:47 PM']I agree what your saying Stephen, but its just because ive wanted one of these for so long that I hate the idea of letting it go hahaha.

Im trying to get a cheap gibby bass sorted the noo also or a MIM fender. If I get one of these basses and I love it straight away then I know the Ric aint for me.[/quote]

Just get another jag?

Gibby, as in Gibson ? You forgot what happened with the epiphone basses? There are no cheap and decent gibsons.
For example a friend has an SG by Gibson and it's nice I agree but it's no nicer or better sounding/playing than my £300 epiphone dot studio.

If I was you, I'd have a go on a roadworn, the rolled fingerboard feels great. The price and finishes or a different thing.
Or you can do what I've done, give up and get the same of what you love but different.

If you were to get a fender, I beg of you to not get a precision, for your own sake. No matter how well it plays it won't sound like a jaguar/jazz and you'll most probably move it on.

I wouldn't mind trying a RIC, but I haven't had any luck with passive basses for a while, also I'd prefer a blue one, like my dream bass from FLCL.